Thread: back of the closet

Blog Entries

Default back of the closet

In the back of the closet I have an Epi Mandobird and a Fender FM-988.

My 6 year old daughter, jealous of her little brother's lefty 3/4 size electric guitar asked to play my Telecaster. It's too big for her so I got out the 988. She banged on it for a while and gave up.

But she inspired me to give a whirl tonight at band practice. And now I remember why I bought it. It has wonderful tone. I run it through my SlideRig and into a little Marshall amp. Adjusting the volume knob back just a bit takes the edge off the treble.

There were a few songs I didn't like the EMC-5 or the Arrow G-5 for. I had been using my Mix F5 for them, but tonight I ran those songs on the FM-988 and got great results.

So the FM-988 and the EMC-5 got nearly all the playing time tonight.

Is it possible I am the only folk musician who plays electric mandolin?

Daniel

2. The following members say thank you to Daniel Nestlerode for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: back of the closet

I like both electric and acoustic, and amplification is always used in performance. For me I prefer the more spectrum-filling sound of the acoustic when there are no drums or only light percussion, like in choro. It also is more useful as a percussion voice. But if I was filling the role of flute or pipes, the electric would be cool.

I prefer the doubled courses even on electric, so a 5-string would not be my choice. I'm looking to convert mine to a second 10-string electric, as a replacement for my main electric 10 would be hard to find (like non-existent).
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I find that playing a disused instrument delights me with a “new” sound. After a while, I switch to another or I begin to remember why I decided to set it away.

============
    ~Music self-played is happiness self-made
    覧覧覧覧覧
    Loar LM-590
    Kentucky KM-272

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sounds exciting! Is there a recording of this session?

My three-year-old surprised me the other day by finding one of my picks around the house, handing it to me, and saying it was "for guitar". He's halfway there!

Blog Entries

Oh hell no Dennis! Perhaps when we get into rehearsals I'll run a recorder. But practice is about what you'd expect and not much fun to listen to.

To be honest, I'm not sure the FM-988 will make it to the stage in its present form. It needs a new bridge (current bridge has saddle spacing set to Loar specs, which was a mistake), a pickup that has better balance from string to string, and a set up.

[I am cognisant I owe you an email!]

Daniel

7. The following members say thank you to Daniel Nestlerode for this post:

Blog Entries

I actually visited the shelf in my closet last night to look for a stash of light picks I had tried for a while couple of years ago. I spent the last year or so training on heavy picks, and it was useful, but I finally decided I would rather work a little harder with a light pick than have to be very careful to not play too hard with a heavy one. While I appreciate the fatter tone I usually overplay and it has become clear that my Buchanan’s and my electric’s tone suffers when I overpower them.

So I am happy to have found the 1/2 gross of .60mm Ultex, retiring the 1.0mm. I “transitioned” through some .73 Ultex I had, after hearing recordings of the live electric sound and feeling it was harsh.

I try to save various parts, materials, and old pedals and the like. You can get lucky sometimes.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    I try to save various parts, materials, and old pedals and the like. You can get lucky sometimes.
    Pedals and pickups in my closet too. Might just pull out the looper and the phase pedal and see what happens! LOL!

Daniel

Cool--I am also a Mandobird owner--I have wanted to try mandolin for a few years before I finally got one.
    No specific influence or anything--just liked the sound and wanted something new to try
    I would pick up mandolins in music stores and strum a couple of chords or something like that--only for a few seconds usually.
    Then I found a used Mandobird I couldn't resist--been having fun with it.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?