Thread: Glen Campbell on mandolin -- sources?

Default Glen Campbell on mandolin -- sources?

I recently read that Glen Campbell played mandolin, and saw a photo at Mandolin Cafe of him playing. However, I couldn't find anything on YouTube with him playing mandolin. Does anyone know whether he recorded, and if there are links to this music? if he plays a tenth as well as he played guitar, it should be impressive.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Glen Campbell on mandolin -- sources?

From an interview ~

Q. You’re receiving a lifetime achievement Grammy next month. How does that make you feel?

A. Isn’t that something! [Laughing] That must mean I’ve lived this long. I started doing all this literally before I could stand up. I would be beating on something, and then I started to play on the mandolin ‘cause it was small. I just wanted to play any instrument. And when dad bought me a guitar for 3 or 4 dollars, that was it. The guitar turned me on to a capo, you know, for the frets. That was awesome. Learning to play with that got me more sessions than anything because I knew how to play guitar with it. I got to play with the best musicians in the world. The time was just perfect.
    I don't know about recordings of Glen on mandolin, Ranald. Would be fun to find one. My memory is so poor that I'm not sure if there was maybe some footage of him on mandolin in the documentary, Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me, though I've seen a few times. Maybe someone else can say definitively.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Default Re: Glen Campbell on mandolin -- sources?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    I don't know about recordings of Glen on mandolin, Ranald. Would be fun to find one. My memory is so poor that I'm not sure if there was maybe some footage of him on mandolin in the documentary, Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me, though I've seen a few times. Maybe someone else can say definitively.
    Thanks, Mark.
    I saw the film recently, and would have noticed if he'd played mandolin. I'd highly recommend Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me to all, though a friend of mine found Campbell's decline due to Alzheimer's too painful to watch.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.