Thread: Looking for Information on 1897 Mandolin

Default Looking for Information on 1897 Mandolin

I recently found a mandolin that my great grandfather was said to have played, however after doing some googling around using terms from the tag inside of the instrument I am unable to find any information about this particular instrument.

Posted here is an imgur album of various angles of it, as well as the aforementioned tag: http://imgur.com/gallery/k1gQ7cX

Any information you can provide about the maker or similar instruments would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Looking for Information on 1897 Mandolin

This one is a poser. I am no bowlback expert and we have some here that will chime in I’m sure. But here are my initial impressions. It appears to be a fairly high quality bowlback judging by the rib structure. Generally, the more narrow and numerous the ribs are, the higher end instrument it is. But this one is missing some characteristics you would expect to see in a high end instrument, like fluted ribs, fancy binding, purfling, and pickguard inlay. But there is some fancy inlay and marquetry in the area of the neck joint that looks very unusual to my eye. The fancy engraved plate on the headstock, I cannot make out. At first glance I thought it said “Washburn”, but now I doubt that. I don’t think it looks like a Washburn, and the letters don’t look quite right. I guess it starts with a “W” but that’s all I can say for sure. The tuners were installed in an unusual fashion. They would normally be installed with those fancy engraved nickel silver plates on the back side, not the front. Then we have the typewritten label on the inside, “ S.W. Cross, Waupun, Wis.” with a handwritten “1897” on it. Is this the maker’s label? Or something the owner put in?

In many ways this instrument reminds me of German made instruments- the alternating dark/light ribs, the inlay and marquetry, and the tailpiece, which is definitely German (but was commonly available to purchase in the US as well ). So, maybe a mid to high level German/European instrument. But if the label is the name of the maker, then a skilled US maker who made instruments in the German style (not out of the question in Wisconsin, a state originally populated with many German, Swiss, Norwegian, and other Europeans)
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Actually Don, those tuners are normal for that age bowlback. Weymann and several others used those tuners. There is no S.W. Cross listed in the Mugwumps encyclopedia but that doesn't mean anything. It might be the owners name or even a retailer. The metal tag on the back is interesting. It's not something that someone just hammered out on their kitchen table. I'll wait and see if any of our resident bowlback experts have a catalog page or another similar instrument. It looks to be in great shape and the inlay on the fretboard matches some Bohmann instruments I've seen so I'm assuming it was readily available from the jobbers of the day.

Lyon and Healy made ribs that were alternate colors as well as a few others. It was probably made here.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

The headstock shield says "Waupun" as does the label. The instrument looks very American and label and shield confirm that (Waupun is a town in Wisconsin). Very attractive back/neck collar. Nice and rare instrument, possibly made by an individual artisan/maker rather than a factory. But since I am no expert on American bowls maybe someone can shed more light on this.

6. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

Waupun is not listed in the Mugwumps Encyclopedia but again, that doesn't mean much. There are plenty of individual builders listed for Wisconsin prior to 1900. The Mugwumps encyclopedia is a listing of fretted instrument makers compiled by the late Michael Holmes. It is based on information that he and others gathered over the years from various sources.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

8. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

So, given the information from the other posters here, I would bet it is the work of a skilled individual luthier, someone who may have learned his craft in Europe or from someone with European roots. If the headstock plate says “Waupun”, then I’ll bet the maker is S..W. Cross, and he used the name of his town as his “brand”. Just because he’s not in any databases doesn’t mean he didn’t exist! Thanks for correcting me on the tuners Mike. I just truthfully have never seen them before. I’ve seen enclosed with plate on back, conventional, and slotted headstock styles, but never ones like that. My reason for sticking with European influence is that marquetry. Just looks German to me.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

If you look at the Mugwumps list of makers in Wisconsin prior to 1900 you'll see that most, if not all have surnames that look to be of German origin. That would probably follow the census from the same time for that state.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Thank you all for your insights! I've really enjoyed reading all your replies, and I shared them with my mother who also liked them. After talking about the initials on the inside it would seem that her grandmothers father was likely the one who crafted the instrument as his name was Samuel W. Cross.

Here's a link to a book titled Proceedings of the Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons, of the State of Wisconsin
    By Royal Arch Masons. Grand Chapter of the State of Wisconsin, locating the likely builder in Waupun, Wisc., in 1885.

No mandolin content, alas.

Quote Originally Posted by Verb View Post
    Thank you all for your insights! I've really enjoyed reading all your replies, and I shared them with my mother who also liked them. After talking about the initials on the inside it would seem that her grandmothers father was likely the one who crafted the instrument as his name was Samuel W. Cross.
    Either that or maybe he was just a proud owner. If you can start studiying various archival sources for more info on your ancestor sometimes you can find clues. One way or another it is great to have such a family heirloom.

I agree with everyone's assessments. Here are the photos the OP provided in case he/she decides to take them down from that photo album.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A8n7O4U.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	641.2 KB 
ID:	170444   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OFYi1xf.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	807.9 KB 
ID:	170445   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SlNknJF.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	616.4 KB 
ID:	170446  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hYhaTRC.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	640.9 KB 
ID:	170447   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waupun_label.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	602.3 KB 
ID:	170448  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post: