Thread: Spindle Sander for Binding Thicknessing?

Default Spindle Sander for Binding Thicknessing?

Hi folks,
    I am making wood binding (curly maple/koa/plain maple--.040"/.020"/.020") and plan on using my spindle sander (with a fence) to get it to the right thickness for each binding layer. Initial cuts are made using a band saw with a "wood slicer" resaw blade. Have any of you used this tool and are able to get it reasonably close to those measurements with pretty good precision?

Debating on using (and possibly building) a drum sander---which most people seem to prefer for this job.

Thanks for any help or comments!

Andy Morton
    Madison, WI

Default Re: Spindle Sander for Binding Thicknessing?

I have done satisfactory thicknessing using my pillar drill with a sanding drum (a Carroll model), Andy. I clamp on a very solid mahogany guide and have made up a table with hole for sanding drum that lets me attach dust extractor. I thickness the wood then cut it into strips for binding. The picture shows a mahogany side I was sanding, but bindings work just as well. Easier to guide the wood through if you do not cut to binding size first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando023(11).jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	519.7 KB 
ID:	166485
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

I have used an oscillating spindle sander to get sides down to .80 and I had pretty good control of the thickness using the 3" drum. I would think you could do binding but I would start with 80 grit and then go down to 120 or 150 and finish with a razor blade as a scraper. It might be better to sand a 2" high piece and then cut your binding out after it's at the proper thickness. Press the fence and wood against the drum for a snug fit and take a little off at a time.
    Rob

Thanks for the great suggestions....I will use the 2" "high" pieces and also use 120 grit sleeves.

This such a wonderful website....thanks to everyone for being so helpful.

Andy