Thread: Flatiron Mandolins - Nashville Area

Default Flatiron Mandolins - Nashville Area

I currently have a 2001 Flatiron Festival F5 that is a really terrific mandolin. I also have a 1999 Flatiron Performer A style that I recently picked up that it mint. It also sounds good but seems tight and I think it will open up and get better as it gets played. The original owner said they played it 4 times and it looks like it. I have owned a 2000 and a 2001 Performer prior to these. So I have had quite a bit of experience with them.

My questions are -
    - Why is there not more demand for these?
    - And why is the resale value not higher?

I am specifically talking about the Nashville made Flatirons during the Derrington era of 1999 to 2001. Gibson has raised their prices on mandolins as has many other builders. They prices for used Gibson F5G in the past couple of years have gone up and they are generally in the mid $3000 to low $4000 range. During this time the Flatiron mandolins seem to have stayed about the same, Festival F5 in the mid $2000 range.

- The F5G and the Festivals were both made on the same benches by the same luthiers during that time.
    - They both have the same exact Gibson Master Model labels inside.
    - Built during a desirable time period for Gibson mandolins (Charlie Derrington, Danny Roberts and Sim Daley).
    - Festivals had medium sized frets where the F5G's had smaller frets from my under standing. Other than a few cosmetic differences they should play and sound the same.
    - Neither have the fit and finish of a Collings or other high end mandolins, but they have the Gibson sound.

You see players wanting the Gibson sound or a less expensive option to get the Gibson sound. All 4 Flatirons that I have owned were very good to great. All were constant, loud and a great chop. So is it the name on the headstock or just a lack of knowledge?

If you are looking for a great value with that "Gibson Sound" and run across a1999-2001 Flatiron Performer A it would be worth a look. If your budget is a little more you might be able to find a nice Festival F5.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Northwest Steve For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Flatiron Mandolins - Nashville Area

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    My questions are -
    - Why is there not more demand for these?
    - And why is the resale value not higher?
    Bill Monroe played a Gibson, not a Flatiron.
    And Chris Thile doesn't play a Flatiron. Neither does David Grisman. People want what their heroes had or have.

My musical hero is Django Reinhardt. I am still trying to find the brand of mandolin that he played.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

Now you know the power of branding.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Had to sell my '99 Performer A for desperate $$, otherwise that one would still be with me...I'll gladly take a Festival F5 off your hands Steve...lol
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

One of my musical heroes played a Flatiron, but a different era. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...-amp-Mandolins

But I was more into what he did with a Rickenbacker:

"Bill Monroe played a Gibson, not a Flatiron.
    And Chris Thile doesn't play a Flatiron. Neither does David Grisman. People want what their heroes had or have."

I do understand but when they have the same "Gibson Master Model" label on the inside it is hard to justify that bid of a difference? I do think some a lot of folks do not know the history. I also wonder how much Gibson having the Flatirons made overseas after 2001 effects the image? They do not seem to get great reviews?

Sorry... Nick I don't think I will be parting with the Festival anytime soon. It is a great mandolin, more than I would ever need. One of the guys I jam with was giving me a hard time about being glad he had never scroll envy. He plays a late 80's Carlson A he bought new. He played my Festival one night and said that think is loud, would you like to trade. I have been trying to find a replacement for it, that is partly why I have had the three Performer's since I have a Weber Absaroka that I really like and is quite a bit different than the Flatirons, but a really nice mandolin. I have more invested than necessary in the Weber and the Festival, but have come to the conclusion that I have an attachment to both and would have a hard time replacing them so they "should" put an end to buying anything else.....Would someone please buy the Ellis 339-15 in the classifieds.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northwest Steve For This Useful Post:

It does seem odd that the value would be less when the main difference is the name on the headstock, because most non-mandolin players won’t know the difference and most mandolin players know that Flatirons are quality instruments. Honestly, my tuner covers up most of the name on my Flatiron, so I wouldn’t be inclined to buy a Gibson just for that. I also like that it doesn’t have a long fretboard extension getting in the way.

Man it's Nashville Flatiron city in the classifieds right now. 4 Festival F's, 1 Festival A. Deals to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Teak View Post
    Bill Monroe played a Gibson, not a Flatiron.
    And Chris Thile doesn't play a Flatiron. Neither does David Grisman. People want what their heroes had or have.
    My musical hero is Django Reinhardt. I am still trying to find the brand of mandolin that he played.
    I always wondered why that was and I know it is. Do people think if they own the same brand as Thile that they will play like him. Same with strings people will have to have the set endorsed by their favorite picker. I don't have 2 mandolins that like the same string why would all of them like the set endorsed by any one player? Chris, Doyle,Ronnie Ricky can use what they want or more accurately what the are paid to use and I'll use what mandolin and strings and picks I want.

Blog Entries

I just purchased a 2001 Festival made in Nashville with the Gibson Master Model label inside. I think Northwest Steve's point is reinforced by the backing I got from this forum when getting input from you all. There is an expectation of sound and playability that comes with a Flatiron from that period and it does hold its value. I could have added $400 and picked up a very clean F5G, but the Flatiron has a Bluegrass mojo that really appeals to me. The fact that the seller had recorded and toured with it and was so glad to see it go to someone who would love and appreciate it, means a lot to me. I will let you all know how she plays and sounds in a week or so. Thanks for the thread, Steve.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lflngpicker For This Useful Post:

Hope you like your Flatiron. My '01 Festival sounds as good to me as any F-5G I've heard. They're a great value.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

17. The following members say thank you to F-2 Dave for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F-2 Dave View Post
    Hope you like your Flatiron. My '01 Festival sounds as good to me as any F-5G I've heard. They're a great value.

Hey Dave!
    Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Now you know the power of branding.
    Which is why I got a great deal on a Czech republic made mandolin!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blain For This Useful Post:

And if you don't need to have the scroll, the deals (some in the classifieds right now) on A-style Flatirons are unbelievable! Whether Nashville or Montana made.

As a side-note question for everyone's consideration, do you find major differences between the Montana and the Nashville Flatirons? Built by different people in different facilities, so..

Would you categorize the sound of Nashville Flatirons as generally having more of that classic Gibson tone, whereas the Montana Flatirons are a different beast sonically? Curious for opinions from those who have played both.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccravens For This Useful Post:

I owned a `01 Festival F-5 and loved it, then traded a bass fiddle for another F-5 and a fellow made me an offer for the Festival that I just couldn`t refuse, his teacher told him that he should never sell the mandolin as it is the best one he has ever heard, Why do we always wish we had one back that we sold in the past? I did make a little money on the deal and ended up with a nice F model mandolin so all wasn`t lost...

Enjoy the Festival, they are great instruments...Beautiful maple wood on the backs also...

Willie

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willie Poole For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    I owned a `01 Festival F-5 and loved it, then traded a bass fiddle for another F-5 and a fellow made me an offer for the Festival that I just couldn`t refuse, his teacher told him that he should never sell the mandolin as it is the best one he has ever heard, Why do we always wish we had one back that we sold in the past? I did make a little money on the deal and ended up with a nice F model mandolin so all wasn`t lost...

Enjoy the Festival, they are great instruments...Beautiful maple wood on the backs also...

Willie
    Hi Willie, Thanks for the vote of confidence. I feel for you letting that one get away-- I did the same with an F-9. I have a feeling this one might sound even better.