Thread: Kentucky KM150 flat versus KM 250 radiused fretboard

Default Kentucky KM150 flat versus KM 250 radiused fretboard

I bought a KM150 back in July and it plays like butter. I recently picked up a KM250 that is radiused.....the KM250 is making me buzz and miss notes like crazy.

Is there this much difference in the two styles? The more I play the KM250 I see small improvements but surprised at the amount of difference.

Default Re: Kentucky KM150 flat versus KM 250 radiused fretboard

I remember when I got my Eastman I couldn’t quite get to grips with the radius at first. My beginnner mandolin had a flat fretboard and I kept making mistakes with the Eastman. From my experience I’d advise you to persevere. Through playing the Eastman so much I’ve grown to love the radius. So much so that now I find flat fretboards somewhat tricky! Everyone has their preference in regards to flat vs radius. I think it’s wise to be accustomed to both - my pocket mandolin and bowlback have flat fretboards, and though I may stumble a bit for the first few minutes of playing, I gradually adapt.
    Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin
    Paul Hathway Octave Mandola
    Montana Lutherie Ranger Mandolin
    Yamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalasinar For This Useful Post:

Wow! I am surprised this question didn't get more responses. It is a perfectly legitimate question. I personally prefer flatter over rounder on guitars but have no idea which I prefer on mandolins since I haven't played a radiused mandolin yet. I suspect I'll prefer the flat fingerboards since I already prefer them on guitars. I really wish I could weigh-in on this subject. If for no other reason, just so I know my own preferences.

Is there any consensus on this issue?

This topic comes up pretty regularly. Radiused fretboards generally seem to be more popular than flat fretboards, but there are folks who prefer flat fretboards. Many players either seem to not care too much either way, or seem to be able to move back and forth between either style fretboard without too much trouble.

You can search on this forum and find lots of interesting discussions. Here's one:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...lat-fretboards
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

I am sure its mostly a matter of getting used to it, but my under $50 beginner mandolin has a flat fretboard and I can muddle along on it. I recently tried out an Eastman with a well set up radiused board and couldn't figure out at first why I was having trouble getting clean notes. I think it was the radiused fretboard. I've still ordered a mandolin with a radiused board though.

7. The following members say thank you to Smyrna5 for this post: