Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review of the Tone Gard

Default Review of the Tone Gard

Here is a video I made reviewing the Tone Gard.

Skip to 1:30 for the playing examples with or without the Tone Gard.

Skip to 6:25 for the summary of the decibel readings and overall review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeDiQ72NWOY

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to guitarlifter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Review of the Tone Gard

Let me first say I'm a ToneGard "believer", and I enjoyed your YouTube a lot.

I do think an exactly repeatable mechanical strumming device would be more valuable for a test like this though. For this test, the strums for the total decibel values were done technically differently for with and without the ToneGard, enough so that there may have been a difference in the decibel readings. Additionally, there may easily have been unconscious differences between the pressure of the strums, as well as the angle of the pick, all which may make a difference in both total decibel readings and sustain readings.

ToneGards have been hotly debated for a long time. The long and the short of it is that the use of the ToneGard is considered a big plus point by some of us, is considered a neutral point by some of us, and is considered a negative point by some of us. It's one of those things that takes "belief", no matter which way you feel about it.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

4. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

I did notice that the strumming was different for the db test, I should have went back and did it the same. But you're right, without some mechanical, repeatable strumming device the test is subject to human error. But even with a device like that, you'd still have to hold the mandolin like you were picking it because the way it's held has a big effect. I think that's why I noticed a significant difference for myself, because I tend to hold the mandolin into my body fairly tight.

Blog Entries

True!!! The whole point of the ToneGard is to insulate the instrument from a player's body so that the whole instrument can vibrate freely. If the instrument rests in a mechanical device in order to produce exactly repeatable mechanical strums, that insulation may not be doing anything at all.

That said, there are some people who discuss the weight of the ToneGard as having something to do with the sound related changes.

Some of us do like ToneGards (also) for the protection of the back of our mandolins, ie: from being scratched by belt buckles or buttons, etc. But, that may come at the expense of marks on the sides from the tube insulation material (in the case of the first generation silicone tubing). Again, debate exists.

As mentioned though, I'm a believer. I have ToneGards and armrests and pickguards on both of my F-style mandolins.
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post

ie: from being scratched by belt buckles or buttons, etc. But, that may come at the expense of marks on the sides from the tube insulation material (in the case of the first generation silicone tubing). ...
    I just replaced the old tubing with the new ones on a varnished Weber that had the guard on for ten years...no marks, perfect finish and a sexy back plate that was well protected...
    The Tone Guard is a must in my book for all fine mandolins, and I plan to get one for my guitar asap.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I was a disbeliever but not anymore, I would like to buy one, trouble is you cannot buy one in the UK, shame on the British music trade.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    I was a disbeliever but not anymore, I would like to buy one, trouble is you cannot buy one in the UK
    Indeed! Theres a couple of places in Europe, but in the end I found it easier, and no more expensive, to order mine from source. and Mr Pires writes an affable email, which is always nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    I was a disbeliever but not anymore, I would like to buy one, trouble is you cannot buy one in the UK, shame on the British music trade.

Dave H
    Thhere was a fellow cafe member in bonnie Scotland selling two of them several months ago. I bought one and I'm sorry I didn't buy both!

Quote Originally Posted by guitarlifter View Post
    Here is a video I made reviewing the Tone Gard.

Skip to 1:30 for the playing examples with or without the Tone Gard.

Skip to 6:25 for the summary of the decibel readings and overall review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeDiQ72NWOY

I love demonstrative comparisons like this, thanks!

I have to say, that pickup setup of yours is...interesting, to say the least. Have you been able to determine if the Tone Gard makes as much difference with it plugged in? That would be an interesting test too. Maybe try plugging into Reaper or something and recording direct? I do it using the Rocksmith guitar cable, but you may already have a USB device.

I don't even own a Tone Gard (and not sure I ever will at the current price point) but I can tell you that they work.....and you folks at home can tell too, firsthand, with an easy test you can do with your mandolin.

Lay the mandolin, facing the ceiling, flat in your lap with your knees together. Now lift it by the neck with your left hand, still keeping it parallel with your legs. Strum the strings, and let it ring. Now, strum the strings again, and let it ring for a moment...and then quickly rest the back of mandolin on the top of your thigh, and notice what happens to the sound.

Do that a couple times, and you can easily see the difference when the back of the mandolin is isolated from your body.

Not to mention that you can simply ask a friend to listen as you play, and then see if they notice the difference if you pull the mandolin away from your body.

I'm still not ready to spend $75 to achieve that effect. Still pondering trying a viola shoulder rest.

(I already did actually. It worked, but the shoulder rest I bought was called an Empire shoulder rest, and it was a poorly made piece of crap that should be avoided at all costs. The metal wore through the rubber feet before I'd even managed to decide on final positioning. Still looking for another, less contoured version, that doesn't stick out as far)
    Last edited by Billkwando; Jul-12-2017 at 9:36am.

I purchased my mandolin used and it came with a tone guard. I actually took it off and didn't use it for a while. When I put it back on I noticed the difference and haven't gone without it since. Something that I really like about it is how the mandolin hangs when I play standing up with the tone guard. It's and f style and seems to stay more still than it did without.

When people ask me what it's for I like to have fun and say "That's were I store the sheet music" or even better "That's a basket for a puppy to ride in"

13. The following members say thank you to Ky Slim for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Slim View Post
    When people ask me what it's for I like to have fun and say "That's were I store the sheet music" or even better "That's a basket for a puppy to ride in"
    That is hilarious! Speaking of people asking funny questions, I've seriously been considering making an armrest with "Not a ukelele" printed on the front. Wonder if anybody would want one...

15. The following members say thank you to Billkwando for this post:

First F5 I've seen with a strap pin on the heel; perhaps a bit less neck dive? Tone-Gard on my Engelmann/birdseye makes it louder even if nothing touching the back without it, and balance on strap is better too. But don't want or need it with Adi/sugar Ellis.

@ Dave Hanson - four of us clubbed together and got them delivered from Tony in the US. Good guy to deal with and the TG certainly makes a real difference to tone, depth, and volume.

@Ray T - yeah I missed out on that! Wanted to get one for my wife and by the time we'd thought about it they were both gone. Hey ho. If you ever want to sell it, please let me know! But I bet you won't be putting it up for sale anytime soon!

It's one of those many things that hurt when you buy it, but give satisfaction for a long time, sort of like buying a fine mandolin.

Really, I'm debating a tone guard or a CA bridge for my cheepo MK. I have one on my other mandolin and really like it.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    @Ray T - yeah I missed out on that! Wanted to get one for my wife and by the time we'd thought about it they were both gone. Hey ho. If you ever want to sell it, please let me know! But I bet you won't be putting it up for sale anytime soon!
    I learned to snap up a deal as soon as it comes up, advertised in the local paper, a number of years ago, when I missed a 1964 Epiphone Texan by half an hour. The seller was asking Ł45 for it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post

Really, I'm debating a tone guard or a CA bridge for my cheepo MK. I have one on my other mandolin and really like it.
    You can really tell how much difference the tone guard is going to make by playing into a corner holding the mandolin normally, and then play into that corner holding the mandolin away from your body. The difference it makes is the difference it will make.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

there is a limit to how much better you can make a starter mandolin, if the top is not that resonant..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Dave Hanson - I bought mine recently from Elderly Instruments. It cost a bit more in postage but arrived pretty quickly in London. Excellent service as usual from Elderly Instruments. I'm enjoying the TG.

23. The following members say thank you to Peter Skerratt for this post:

How can anyone play the instrument with pick guards - tone guards - arm rests etc.? There needs to be a "Poser Mandolin Cafe" for hiding behind all this crap, rather than practicing and playing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Goodhill View Post
    How can anyone play the instrument with pick guards - tone guards - arm rests etc.? There needs to be a "Poser Mandolin Cafe" for hiding behind all this crap, rather than practicing and playing well.
    Huh?!? Are you just trying to be a troll? This kind of dismissive comment is snarky and not in the spirit of the cafe, for sure. It also betrays considerable ignorance on your part. Many folks who both practice AND play well -- probably playing a whole lot better than you, Mr. Goodhill! -- have pickguards or Tone Gards or armrests on their mandolins. Folks like David Grisman and Chris Thile. And John Reischman, Andy Statman, Mike Marshall, Ricky Scaggs, and on and on. Lloyd Loar Gibsons came with pickguards, is fact, and so did the generation of A- and F-4 models before them.

It is not being a "poser" to seek to improve the sound and playing comfort of your own mandolin. It is yours to do with as you please, in fact. If that means changing out the strings, the pick, the bridge, or adding a pickguard, armrest, etc., then that is your prerogative and perfectly acceptable. What is not acceptable is your nasty attitude about all these other players.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by doug goodhill View Post
    how can anyone play the instrument with pick guards - tone guards - arm rests etc.? There needs to be a "poser mandolin cafe" for hiding behind all this crap, rather than practicing and playing well.
    dnftt
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ccravens For This Useful Post:

When I was in high school in jazz class, sometimes I'd kick on an overdrive pedal to get some sustain, as electric guitarists have done for quite some time. The non-guitar playing teacher wasn't into it, said something like, "Anybody can play hiding behind that crap." Eventually, I held out my guitar to him and said, "Be my guest." He made less ignorant comments about my tone choices after that.

Apparently pickguards, tone-gards, and arm rests are the overdrive pedal of the mandolin world.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MediumMando5722 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Hmmm, a lot could be said about this, Doug.

Since I'm not sure how serious you are I'll just take a break from practicing long enough to say that it is possible to do all three.

-- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

Instead of the MC caps, I'd like to see some PMC caps in the near future...

Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I know the Tone Gard must work, but I just don't like the look of it. I fashioned a wooden brace that does a similar job. The two viola chinrest clamps (violin ones are not long enough) cost a few bucks. The wood I literally picked up at the side of the road, carved by hand with no power tools, and gave many coats of a walnut stain. It works beautifully and weighs next to nothing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side view#1 web.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	159127Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back view#1 web.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	159128Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top view web.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	159129

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron McMillan For This Useful Post: