Thread: Strum Pattern Nomenclature

Default Strum Pattern Nomenclature

Beginner question here. When I see the below strum pattern on YouTube, how do I decode it?

It seems (in my mind at least) that the "Down-Down Up-Up-Down Up" is the main strumming pattern throughout the song. And Down's are the quarter notes, while Up's are the half notes (so this pattern is "1 2 and and 4 and"). And the first Down is the bass note, while all the others are the DAE strings. Am I right so far? I also realize the first row of "DDDD" indicates play the pattern with D chord four times.

But what are all the other rows of D's and U's? I'm assuming they are Down's and Up's. But why are they abbreviated with D's and U's, while the one row is spelled out Down's and Up's? And what's with all the "or's"?

Intro
    DDDD
    DD-DD-DD-DD
    Down-Down Up-Up-Down Up
    D-DDU-UD-DUDU
    DU-UD-UU-DUDU

Chords in ()=Half/Split Strum Pattern
    DD-DD or D-DU or D-DDU
    or
    D-DU///U-DU
    or
    D-D///U-U-DU
    or
    D-DDU///UD-DUDU

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Strum Pattern Nomenclature

"When I see the below strum pattern on YouTube"

Ok, best you post a link to what you're asking about (some specific video, no doubt?). What you posted is not exactly self-explanatory.

Something like "DUDUDU" and variants indeed normally indicates Down/Up as relates to picking patterns or strumming patterns. Generally, "D"s are quarter notes, but "U"s are not half notes, rather they usually indicate eighth notes. But again, there can be variances and you have to understand this stuff in context. So for the best response, maybe embed the trouble video lesson or whatever it is ...
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Yes, sorry. Eighth notes, not half.

I think this is the link where i saw it. If that doesn't work, try this.

I am certainly no expert. But picking patterns give a rhythm to your right hand. The DDDD is associated with Bill Monroe. As such, it gives a really driving feel. A lot of modern pickers focus on DUDU which tends to be very smooth sounding. To achieve syncopation, some will go DDU DDU DD (total of 8 or two measures) The two triads provide a different rhythm. When you add lead notes to these patterns, you get a different feel. Hope this helps, some.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

It seems (in my mind at least) that the "Down-Down Up-Up-Down Up" is the main strumming pattern throughout the song.
    Yep that is the rhythm he carries for most of this. Honestly, I think you should work with that groove ("1 2 and and 4 and") and make sure you are playing all of the chords cleanly. Decoding his system for describing those strum patterns is not necessary. I wouldn't even try to do it. Just play along with the video which is a nice karaoke style lesson. The places where he varies the strum pattern will come to you before you know it. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Slim View Post
    Yep that is the rhythm he carries for most of this. Honestly, I think you should work with that groove ("1 2 and and 4 and") and make sure you are playing all of the chords cleanly. Decoding his system for describing those strum patterns is not necessary. I wouldn't even try to do it. Just play along with the video which is a nice karaoke style lesson. The places where he varies the strum pattern will come to you before you know it. Good Luck!

Agreeing with the above. Probably worth noting that the main places he breaks that pattern are spaces where there are no vocals and he's adding extra strums to give something interesting in that space. (At least that's true of the few minutes I watched.)