Thread: Should I keep original tenor case?

Default Should I keep original tenor case?

I just picked up a 51 Martin O-18t. It came in what I assume is the original case. The case doesn't seem like it would have been very much protection even when new. It's beat up, part of the edging is coming off and I have no use for it. My question is, should I just pitch it? If I go to resale the guitar would having it matter?

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

Default Re: Should I keep original tenor case?

The original case did what it was meant to accomplish. It protected your guitar. If you can find a properly fitting new case, all the better but ... don't get rid of the old case until you have a replacement. Regarding resale, if it is an original Geib, that may be icing on the cake, if it's a chip board or a non Martin case, don't worry about it.
    Mandola fever is permanent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barber View Post
    I just picked up a 51 Martin O-18t. It came in what I assume is the original case. The case doesn't seem like it would have been very much protection even when new. It's beat up, part of the edging is coming off and I have no use for it. My question is, should I just pitch it? If I go to resale the guitar would having it matter?
    Word of advice from a player/collector of fine instruments DO NOT sell the case/throw it away. When one buys a vintage instrument they want the original case-even if its beat up! Trust Me. Yes and a bunch of those original cases were not the best design look at the shaped Geib mandolin cases for any F model, the mandos flop around in em but still they are original to that instrument! KEEP it, find room somewhere for it and get a case that protects your 51 in a better way if you wish-thats my opinion and anyone with old instruments will/should say the same thing

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    Word of advice from a player/collector of fine instruments DO NOT sell the case/throw it away. When one buys a vintage instrument they want the original case-even if its beat up! Trust Me. Yes and a bunch of those original cases were not the best design look at the shaped Geib mandolin cases for any F model, the mandos flop around in em but still they are original to that instrument! KEEP it, find room somewhere for it and get a case that protects your 51 in a better way if you wish-thats my opinion and anyone with old instruments will/should say the same thing
    I noticed that many ads pointed out that the original case was included so I figured it mattered to some at least. I needed that extra justification for keeping it around . Thanks.

6. The following members say thank you to Mike Barber for this post:

Blog Entries

Oh yeh it sure matters to me when I buy something vintage-I for sure want the case it came with and if it doesn't I sure try to find one!

8. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post: