Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gibson F9 Dilemma

===========

Default Re: Gibson F9 Dilemma

Good news on your update . . . it's nice when you find your 'forever' instrument.

Congrats!

I’m a little late to the conversation, but I have to say I’m a big fan of all the F9’s I have played. I think you made an excellent choice and it will not take long to fall in love with the sound and play.
    I wasn’t sure at first I would bond with the bare bones cosmetics, however ever time I pick it up and play it I think what a fine mandolin. Kind of like dating a plain Jane girlfriend it’s what inside that counts.

Dave Harvey and his crew at Gibson are building an awesome mandolin.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

4. The following members say thank you to Roger Adams for this post:

I have a 2015 Gibson F9 that I bought new from the Mandolin Store. It's been a great mandolin and generally I'm very happy with it. I had pickups installed too.

If you can't play either prior to buying, you may have better luck going with the store vs. a person.

From experience I can say that the Mandolin Store will live up to their products and step up when / if needed. To condense the story - I had them radius F9 I bought from them and install a pick up. Mandolin Store folks had a third party do it and the third party screwed up bad - so much so that I believe they no longer use that third party. Dennis and his team were awesome though - they worked with me and my local Luther to fix the problems and didn't cost me any thing extra.

If you happen to have an issue with a person as opposed to a family owned store, you may not get that same level of service / support.

I bought new because I like the idea of owning my mandolin from birth. It avoids problems and etc. That said, I also buy my cars new too for the same reason. I don't buy them often, but when I do - I want to know their history / issues and know I can use it for years without issue.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Glad for the update, and glad to know you're around to do it. There is something about the Gibson chop I haven't heard in other mandolins. Haven't played that many though. An F 9 would be on my short list for sure.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Stompboxfreak72 View Post
    It's funny that I don't care for country music so much but I love Bluegrass. .
    I got in to an argument with my vocal coach on this. She's adamant that "bluegrass" is "country". Personally I think bluegrass is as much country as I think "Rock" is "Blues" - some rock is blues but definitely not all. Similar, some bluegrass is country - but not all, especially newer stuff.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Quote Originally Posted by mbruno View Post
    I got in to an argument with my vocal coach on this. She's adamant that "bluegrass" is "country". Personally I think bluegrass is as much country as I think "Rock" is "Blues" - some rock is blues but definitely not all. Similar, some bluegrass is country - but not all, especially newer stuff.
    Good luck with those voice lessons. I'd buy the new F9.