Thread: Saying hello and a question

Default Saying hello and a question

Hello all,

About two or three months ago, I found a good deal on an alright mandolin and have been lurking around this site since then. I thought it was finally time to say hello to everyone. I love how informative the site is and how helpful everyone is. I also wanted to ask a question, which I am sure has been asked before: What are your thoughts on flat wound strings? I am just curious about them because I thought they might add some depth to my mando's (Michael Kelly A-soild) sound. I will probably just experiment with them anyway.

Thanks all

Default Re: Saying hello and a question

Welcome to the cafe! This really is a great site.I can't help u with your question on flat wound strings.Those that have tried them will chime in soon.I would say experiment with different strings each mandolin is different.Good luck and enjoy your mandolin .that what it's about anyway.

Flat wound may be the Bees Knees on my mandolin and sound like crap on yours. Every mandolin has a string it likes so your responibility now is to find it. When you do the mandolin will thank you with it's best sound and you will have more fun playing it.

I've never tried them on a flat topped mandolin, but I do have a set of d'addario flat wounds on my old A-4. I've also tried Thomastic Starks, which I prefer. The D'addario's are a lot cheaper. Welcome, and Merry Christmas.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

I can only speak for what I found with flat wound strings...They sounded great for about one recording session and then went dead as a doornail the next day when I was playing a gig...

You will just have to try all different brands of strings and give them a chance to settle in and sooner or later your mandolin will let you know which ones are the best for it...

Welcome aboard and enjoy the time spent on here...

Willie

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I've had good luck with flatwound strings on both acoustic and electric mandolins. With their flat surface, they're a pleasure to play. Their sound is not as bright as other strings so you may or may not like the sound. As you say, give them a try.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Welcome to the forum, 4CourseMill!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Welcome to our wild, wacky world. i'd experiment with different kinds until you get the sound you want. I used J 74's for a long time until I discovered Elixir nano coated. They seem to last really long and sound good to me. Good luck and have fun.

Welcome to the forum, 4CourseMill!

Quote Originally Posted by F-2 Dave View Post
    I've never tried them on a flat topped mandolin...
    I think the A-Solid has a carved, f-hole top.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Of course you're right Allen. I read the first sentence, where he said he bought an alright mandolin and I guess my brain processed it as 'Alrite' mandolin. Sorry.
    Last edited by F-2 Dave; Dec-08-2016 at 9:30am.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F-2 Dave For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Cafe!

I initially assumed a flat top Alrite mandolin as well. But, since you say MK Solid, that's an arch top.

Anyhoo, I like flatwound strings. I don't think you NEED to go with the Thomastik ones straight away. The D'Addario FW strings are very good and not a budget buster. I say get a variety of strings and a variety of picks and experiment to find what you feel plays and sounds the nicest to your ears. Often the combinations are good often, not as good. It's the cheapest way to change the voice of your instrument.

EJ74 from D'Addario is always a good place to start. Then try flatwounds (EFW74), maybe GHD Silk and Steel or Silk and Bronze. Elixer Nanowebs (some feel the coating really extends string life - others don't like them).

I don't have any of the super pricey picks. My most epxensive is the Wegen. I like the Dawg picks and many of the Dunlop Tortex and DAndrea 346 pick (used to come with the JazzMando FW strings (retired)). As a beginner, mixing things up is a fun thing to do, plus, changing your strings often makes it easier. I like this method.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I have exclusively used flat-wounds on my mandolin, mandola, and mandocello for over 20 years, so yeah, I recommend them.

Thanks for the replies guys, and thanks JEStanek for the link. Like I said, I will probably just try the flat wounds anyway. I was just curious about your thoughts on their tone, playability, and the like.

I Hope you got your Mandolin set up by someone who knows their stuff. If not, start there before all else.

I did get a set up, mainly because the action was really high. I took it to Gordon's here in Tallahassee. Drew fixed it up quickly, and I had it back the next day. Nice folks.

My very first mandolin was a Michael Kelly 'Legacy' solid - all solid wood,no laminates. I used to use J74's on it & it sounded fine,but a bit thin,something i now attribute to the build quality of the mandolin itself = good,but not great,but what could i expect for £345 UK. I didn't have it long enough to try different strings on it,but that's exactly what i'd do in the OP's situation - try 'em all !,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Michael_Kelly___Legacy_Solid____Medium_.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	152071
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

That is so true I've found that strings everyone recommends sound awful on my mandolin. So just try and listen out for the voice of your mandolin!

I have found flatwounds very habit-forming, and a pricey one at that. Most stores dont carry them so once you are hooked, you need to order in bulk (Elderly or Stew-Mac are good). If you are a string-buster like me you need to think ahead, because its a drag to mix up flat-and-round wounds because you can only get the rounds on the spot.

String life is good (d'addarios) but not outstanding, and when they are dead they are really dead. I find they break less often than rounds.

Its all about the feel. I can play longer sets without my fingers going numb.