Thread: Laurie Lewis / Tom Rozum and Right Hands in Evanston IL 30 Oct

Default Laurie Lewis / Tom Rozum and Right Hands in Evanston IL 30 Oct

Midwest gets a rare chance to see some of Bluegrass classics and best flag holders in a 4pm show at the American Legion in Evanston Illinois, on SUNDAY 30...

IF you have never caught them in performance here is a great opportunity to see them in a small venue, up close and personal.... Tom is playing a '22 Loar these days and he and it are sounding great.
    John D

Default Re: Laurie Lewis / Tom Rozum and Right Hands in Evanston IL 30 Oc

Sounds like a fine time will be had. Tommy and I had a chance to jaw at IBMA, we talked about that Loar, Gilchrist, his time in Tucson back in the day. He's a cool cat, for shore.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

A friend of mine acquired Tom's Gil F5...it's a beasty!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Tom seems to always have a Gilchrist coming or going. He might be the best at backing up a vocal on the mando, plus a wonderful singer.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I had the great pleasure of meeting & talking to Laurie & Tom when they played at the now defunct Ironbridge Bluegrass festival over here back in 1993.
    They finished off their Saturday night spot with a song from their latest CD - ''Who Will Watch The Home Place''. I swear that by the time they'd finished,there was hardly a dry eye in the marquee. On the following Sunday morning,they held one of the best workshops i've ever attended with much emphasis given over to harmony vocals,something our UK bands aren't always that hot on.
    Laurie & Tom did say that it was one of the hardest things to master.

I asked if they were going to perform one of my favourite songs by Laurie Lewis - ''The Hills of My Home'' from the recording 'Love Chooses You' . Laurie said that they couldn't because they had no banjo player. As i was sitting right at the front & also sitting on my Mark Leaf banjo case,i was hoping for an offer ( i can play the banjo part as per the recording). However -no deal !!
    I've been looking for an MP3 of the song or a YouTube track of it to pick along to on Mandolin,but i can't find one - never mind !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Tom seems to always have a Gilchrist coming or going. He might be the best at backing up a vocal on the mando, plus a wonderful singer.
    Hasn't Tom more been a Wiens player lately? Wiens #37 is for sale here in the Classidieds, but I believe he is waiting on another Wiens.