Thread: Post on Old Time Music

Default Post on Old Time Music

Tresbear Music has just published the third in a series of posts on how genres of music affect our studio written by Stephen Frasier. The first two posts focused on Celtic and Gypsy music For those who would like to explore a fine article on Old Time music, here is a link:
    http://www.tresbearmusic.com/blogs/m...res-influence/
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Default Re: Post on Old Time Music

I'd read it, but the self-indulgent website design at tresbear.com jams all the actual content into 40% (or less) of my desktop, and frankly, I don't need the eyestrain.
    And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

3. The following members say thank you to s1m0n for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by s1m0n View Post
    I'd read it, but the self-indulgent website design at tresbear.com jams all the actual content into 40% (or less) of my desktop, and frankly, I don't need the eyestrain.
    Nice article.

BTW: The font color in your signature is a bigger eyestrain.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric C. For This Useful Post:

Yes, interesting article! Like I have said before, we must know where we came from to know where we are going.
    Thanks redflag!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

7. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Interesting, a bit superficial. There are more instruments in old-time than the banjo, but that's the only one that's discussed in (moderate) depth. And playing styles aren't really discussed, or the interplay of dance-style music with vocals, either secular or gospel. As to whether old-time is the "oldest style of American folk music, other than Native American," which the article claims, I'd say the jury's out on that one. Musicians in the thirteen colonies played many European-derived styles, and the British Isles-derived style that caught on and remained in relatively inaccessible Southern uplands, later becoming "hillbilly" music, competes with church-based Protestant hymnody, "parlor" compositions in East Coast urban areas, and several styles of orchestral and brass-band music, for the designation of "oldest." Plus, I suppose Spanish settlers in our Southwest were playing their style of music nearly a century before the Jamestown colony.

I would have liked to read an exposition of different modes of musical presentation: the long-format, somewhat unstructured performance of old-time fiddle-band music, vs. the audience-oriented, staged bluegrass or blues show. Old-time instrumental music is still often played as if the musicians were playing for a dance -- extended single- or multi-tune "sets," no instrumental soloing, danceable tempos. Old-time vocal music, which the article barely mentions, is often unaccompanied or accompanied very sparingly, and frequently is either religious in nature, or shows strong influences from "sacred" singing.

Still, I guess some information about a musical genre, generally accurate if incomplete, is better than no information. I'd take exception to the mention of Pete Seeger as an "old-time revival" musician, however; the fact that he played banjo using non-bluegrass techniques, and was early influenced by some old-time banjoists, doesn't make him old-timey, and calling him that ignores the multiplicity of styles and influences his music exhibited. Shoulda mentioned Bruce Molsky...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

But they've got a bear in a hat. We can't overlook the bear in a hat. Tresbear is also tres chic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tresbear.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	150030

11. The following members say thank you to Petrus for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    BTW: The font color in your signature is a bigger eyestrain.
    Absolutely. It's supposed to be unobtrusive unless you want to pay attention to it. Darker colours took up too much visual space.
    And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

13. The following members say thank you to s1m0n for this post:

s1m0n, I do realize that the web designer took a campy approach. We wanted to make the website fun and visually appealing. This is a recent upgrade. Our older website was primarily white and most space was used to present material. Most of the comments we got was that the website was boring and unappealing. Maybe we went too far in the other direction, but most of the comments we have received have been complimentary. We understand your comments and will take them under advisement when we next revise the website. We thank all of you for coming to the Tresbear website and hope you enjoy the contents. We also appreciate your comments, both positive and negative. This allows us to grow in our prospective.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    s1m0n, I do realize that the web designer took a campy approach. We wanted to make the website fun and visually appealing. This is a recent upgrade. Our older website was primarily white and most space was used to present material. Most of the comments we got was that the website was boring and unappealing. Maybe we went too far in the other direction, but most of the comments we have received have been complimentary. We understand your comments and will take them under advisement when we next revise the website. We thank all of you for coming to the Tresbear website and hope you enjoy the contents. We also appreciate your comments, both positive and negative. This allows us to grow in our prospective.
    Good luck*. That's a fairer response than I was expecting, and likely fairer than my (bitchy) post deserved.

*And by 'good luck' I mean 'best wishes', not anything sarcastic.

C.S. Lewis

16. The following members say thank you to s1m0n for this post:

To tell the truth, I clicked on the link to see what the complaint was about. Despite that topic, the articles give a good overview of those music styles. Thanks for sharing.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Nice attempt at an old-time description. Too bad the subject is so huge that it's impossible to tell in van a full-sized book. There are college courses on this subject!

As far as website design, it's fun and fine. The comment that it was self-indulgent was a little off. What's the point of a website if it doesn't promote what you're doing? A website is just a modern form of a brochure, unless it's a forum like this. A good website better be somewhat self-indulgent, or it's a waste of time and money.

19. The following members say thank you to Charlieshafer for this post:

Blog Entries

The magic appearing and disappearing page header on mobile Safari had me closing the tab within seconds. I'll be glad when the web designer industry finally grows up, quits trying to find ways to annoy the user (though in this case I think it just wasn't tested on one of the most-used browsers), and just puts content on a page in a tasteful manner.