Thread: Converting a short-scale bass into a tenor guitar

Default Converting a short-scale bass into a tenor guitar

Has anyone done it?

When I say "short-scale", I mean really short for a bass - around 25". I know there are a lot of guitar-scale basses around from the '60s, and I know that they tend not to work very well as basses. I'm thinking of taking one and converting it to a tenor guitar, and I'd like to know if there are any major issues I might encounter. I'm sure the instrument will need some setup work, including neck and intonation adjustment. The nut might also need to be replaced to take smaller strings, though I happen to be considering a bass with a zero fret so that's a moot point. I also realize that the string spacing will be rather wide for a tenor, so the feel will be very different from my other tenors.

Anything I've missed? Any experiences with such an operation?
    www.OldFrets.com: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

Default Re: Converting a short-scale bass into a tenor guitar

25 inch scale is pretty long for a tenor guitar. The chords would be difficult to fret if tuned in fifths. It would be doable if you are using Chicago (DGBe) tuning however.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

I've done a few instrument conversions to full fifths. My most used fifths-tuning instrument is a converted 12-string Ovation guitar, tuned CGDAEB. By capoing at the fifth fret, I have a mandolin/mandola, and without the capo I have an octave mandolin/bouzouki, a cittern and a mandocello.

With that said, I put in some time with FFCP exercises to get used to the finger stretches needed with this tuning on a 25.5" scale. I don't have big hands, so it took a while (2 years) before it became second nature. It paid off for me, but my friends who play CBOMs find my scale length to be difficult, even those whose hands dwarf my own.

Here's my suggestion, based on what I did before committing to full fifths in a big way: retune a guitar to EADDGC. (Those Ds are the same pitch.) you can do this with a normal guitar without changing strings. Then, play scales, chords and melodies, and pay attention to how it's going.

This trial experiment is free if you already have a guitar you can use, and doesn't require any alteration to the instrument at all.

Good luck!
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

I realize the tuning will probably have to be lower, maybe GDAE. Having tuned a couple of 27" plectrum banjos that way, I'm confident that chord shapes won't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller View Post
    I realize the tuning will probably have to be lower, maybe GDAE. Having tuned a couple of 27" plectrum banjos that way, I'm confident that chord shapes won't be an issue.
    Were the plectrum banjos tuned in full fifths?
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Yes, GDAE. It took some getting used to reaching my arm that far, but the fretting was barely any different than a tenor neck.

I have strung a very short scale electric bass to mandocello tuning. It worked OK. Didn't enjoy playing a 25" scale in 5ths. The girth of a bass neck is really large for a tenor guitar. What does convert very well to octave mandolin & tenor guitar are the solid body electric tenor ukuleles with a 17" scale. They require a small amount of nut slot enlargement and bridge compensation adjustment. I have a couple that are fun to play. Best of all, they are not terribly expensive. Sold as Vorson in the US. (NFI)

I never knew they made electric Ukes! What gauge strings would you recommend for 5ths tuning ?

Delta

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I have strung a very short scale electric bass to mandocello tuning. It worked OK. Didn't enjoy playing a 25" scale in 5ths. The girth of a bass neck is really large for a tenor guitar. What does convert very well to octave mandolin & tenor guitar are the solid body electric tenor ukuleles with a 17" scale. They require a small amount of nut slot enlargement and bridge compensation adjustment. I have a couple that are fun to play. Best of all, they are not terribly expensive. Sold as Vorson in the US. (NFI)