Thread: Sharon Gilchrist - anybody else heard her?

I caught a Peter Rowan and Tony Rice show tonight - first row - and really enjoyed her playing. Apparently she hasn't been with them very long. I found a bio somewhere on the web that said that she was a member of the original dixie chicks, or at least the pre-dixie chicks. Tasteful, with enough flash to keep everybody interested. Very nice double stop stuff. A great show, all in all.

Andy
    Mpls, MN

I don't recall if it was here or on comando that there was recent discussion about her. She played with her group 'Mary & Mars' (?) out in New Mexico. She was an original Dixie Chick. She plays a Gilchrist mandolin and is not related to the builder.

Yea she's a good picker. She is based out of Santa Fe and has a regular geg at the La Fonda hotel Wed or Thurs when not on the road. She also has a really cool Bussman octave. I visited with her for quite a while and she is very nice.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

Saw her with Rowan and Rice in Aiken, SC last weekend. Her style works great with Peter Rowan's singing.

Without being sexist, her playing is strong and pure, but feminine,if that makes any sense. She is definitely not the Rory Block of mandolin but for Rowan and Rice, she is a wise choice.
    Jeff A

So, what happened to Bill & Bryn Bright? Are they no longer with them?
    Gibson A-9
    Fender FM-63
    Gibson A-12
    (Just for starters.......)

She's also a member of Uncle Earl.

Loren

straight-a,

From what I had heard Billy and Bryn have seperated. I do believe Bryn is still playing with T. Rice but Billy is concentrating on his band the Two-High String Band. Someone correct if I am wrong.

I met a gentleman named Sid Gilchrist in Dallas at the guitar show in 1988. He owned a '22 Loar and numerous other fine instruments. He had younger kids that played and a daughter was with him. I suspect he was Sharons' father
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

From what I had heard Billy and Bryn have seperated. [/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that if it's true. They were a great duo.
    Gibson A-9
    Fender FM-63
    Gibson A-12
    (Just for starters.......)

Sharon Gilchrist played bass for the Bluegrass Boy Reunion at Merlefest. She mandolin with Rowan & Rice, Bryn Bright on bass.
    Russ Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by (straight-a @ May 20 2005, 11:29)
    Quote Originally Posted by
    From what I had heard Billy and Bryn have seperated.
    Sorry to hear that if it's true. #They were a great duo.
    'Tis true, I heard it from Billy in February at a Two High String Band. They are not just separated, but divorced, and I got the impression that it wasn't amicable.

Both Sharon and Bryn are part of the current Peter Rowan & Tony Rice Quartet, at least the one that played at this past Springfest. Sharon was actually all over the place. Played in this lineup, with Uncle Earl as mentioned, as well as in Peter Rowans "Easter Jam". I think I saw her sit in with someone else too, but can't remember.

If anyone is familiar with bit torrent, .flac, .shn, etc. The PR & TR Quartet show is available here...

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=14372

I've written an article about Sharon for an upcoming issue of Mandolin Magazine including her own transcription of an original mando tune from Mary and Mars

I saw her last night with Rowan/Rice, and I agree with the "feminine" statement above. She seemed a little timid but I think she's just getting used to her new role. She's a heck of a picker and beautiful to boot. I think I'm in love...

The band that I play in (The Mud City Ramblers) were lucky enough to be asked to open for The Hot Buttered Rum String band about a month or so ago up here in VT. It just so happened that Peter Rowan was also playing in town that same night..

To make a long story short. Peter, Bryn, and Sharon Gilchrist all showed up and sat in for a few tunes in Hot Buttered Rums second set. It was really something.. Sharon Gilchrist is really a sweet person and a great mandolinist. The only way I can describe her sound is that it was very smooth and fluid. Her Gilchrist is also superb..

I saw Sharon with Uncle Earl, a great string band with energy and style, when she played bass for most of the show. She did finger pick the mando on a slower song. She also played a duet with KC Groves, the bands mando player and cofounder, and they did some fiddle tunes that really sounded great. Nice ladies too, they posed for pictures and talked shop with everyone after the show. Go see them if you have the chance.