Thread: Arpeggi Saltellati - Tied arpeggi (legati)

Default Arpeggi Saltellati - Tied arpeggi (legati)

Could someone kindly explain how to execute these two styles of picking from Carlo Munier method scuola del mandolino book 2

I know it's written, but although I have used Carlo Munier for 4 years now, sometimes his explaining is not quite clear to me and I don't have access to a mandolin teacher to explain it to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	[Free-scores.com]_munier-carlo-scuola-del-mandolino-part-complete-book-43128.pdf 
Views:	161 
Size:	309.5 KB 
ID:	148046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	[Free-scores.com]_munier-carlo-scuola-del-mandolino-part-complete-book-43129.pdf 
Views:	163 
Size:	475.0 KB 
ID:	148047
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Default Re: Arpeggi Saltellati - Tied arpeggi (legati)

The example marked "Tied Arpeggi" is similar to sweep picking - all downstrokes then all upstrokes, somewhat rapidly, giving a harp-like effect, but timed so there is even spacing between the notes so it is not a 4 course tremolo. Examples are given in 4 and 3 note groupings.

The example marked "Arpeggi Saltellati (skipping)" is a bit different in that instead of the even strings 4-3-2-1 and 1-2-3-4 of the previous pattern, this one is more broken up so that various patterns can be used, sometimes with notes on the same string. Follow the up and down stroke pick markings and it should be clear.

Take care and have fun.

3. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

I am not entirely sure what you are asking. Pick direction is indicated by the symbols over the notes in the first bars.

On Page 104 (the first attachment) pick direction is: d d u d u d u d

On the other page: d d d d u u u u played more as a brush downwards and then upwards.

--------

Whoops! David answered it but with other description. Let us know if it is still unclear.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Pick direction is indicated by the symbols over the notes in the first bars.

On Page 104 (the first attachment) pick direction is: d d u d u d u d

On the other page: d d d d u u u u played more as a brush downwards and then upwards.

--------
    I think the picking markings are pretty straightforward, but seeing the "brushing" sort of strum you refer to would be helpful. I'd have to search youtube for an example.

7. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Hi David. Thanks for explaining. The Arpeggi Legali are more like a Glide stroke. No problem with that. Just never tried them upwards.

However the arpeggi Legati, the explanation in the book is very strange, speaking of a circle like movement of the arm and wrist?

Hi Jim, I am not asking about the pick direction, but the arm and wrist movement. Thanks

Looks likes strumming explained in a strange way
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Hany Hayek View Post
    However the arpeggi Legati, the explanation in the book is very strange, speaking of a circle like movement of the arm and wrist?

Hi Jim, I am not asking about the pick direction, but the arm and wrist movement. Thanks
    When done fast it does look somewhat circular.

10. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

This is a very interesting discussion. If I'm understanding correctly the technique described there, I would picture the frontal view of the face of the mandolin, and the path traced by the pick across the strings would not be as of a straight line proceeding up then down across the strings, but more of an oval which would smoothly move away from then back toward the bridge ever so much, and top to bottom in each six note cycle. I want to experiment with these exercises as well. Seems that such a repeating pattern might offer a very interesting tonal quality with the smooth movement of the pick away from and back toward the bridge in each cycle.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    The example marked "Tied Arpeggi" is similar to sweep picking - all downstrokes then all upstrokes, somewhat rapidly, giving a harp-like effect, but timed so there is even spacing between the notes so it is not a 4 course tremolo. Examples are given in 4 and 3 note groupings.

The example marked "Arpeggi Saltellati (skipping)" is a bit different in that instead of the even strings 4-3-2-1 and 1-2-3-4 of the previous pattern, this one is more broken up so that various patterns can be used, sometimes with notes on the same string. Follow the up and down stroke pick markings and it should be clear.

Take care and have fun.
    Hi David, I read carefully your reply and tried both exercises.
    The Arpeggi Saltellati have a very nice and interesting pattern. Great exercises
    The Arpeggi Legati are something completely different. I did not like much the harp effect, but found out how it makes a sort of a circle and why the picking arm should be loose. Also the chords finger positions are quite a challenge in the following exercises.

Thanks for your advise.
    ― Victor Hugo

14. The following members say thank you to Hany Hayek for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hany Hayek View Post
    Hi David, I read carefully your reply and tried both exercises.

Thanks for your advise.
    I'm happy that I was able to help in some way.

16. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

I think I found an example of the "arpeggi legati" on youtube. Thought I would share. I did not know Ralf Leenen was such a good violinist

― Victor Hugo

Michael Reichenbach

http://imgur.com/W833w9u

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W833w9u - Imgur.gif 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	148435
    The 18th century technique has frequently arpeggios with gliding up and down.

I have tried to make a gif from a video with Caterina Lichtenberg time 1:35 ff

I am sure there are better examples.
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

19. The following members say thank you to mandoisland for this post:

Thank you so much Michael. So, that's the circular movement. It's a great example.
    ― Victor Hugo