Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice-planing to buy my first Mandolin

Default Need advice-planing to buy my first Mandolin

Need advice.
    Planning to buy my first Mandolin along with a carry bag, strap and a pickup.
    For now I don't want to spend much on it.

This is what I've selected from Amazon.com (i hope it's a good choice)

1. Rogue RM-100A A-Style Mandolin Sunburst

http://www.amazon.com/Rogue-RM-100A-...words=mandolin

2. Hola! Heavy Duty A & F Style Mandolin Gig Bag (Soft Case) with 15mm Padding, Black

http://www.amazon.com/Hola-Heavy-Sty...FK2APS6X476R14

3. Planet Waves Mandolin Strap, Brown

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-M...002Z748KAYD82G

4. NeewerŪ Piezo Contact Microphone Pickup for Guitar Violin Banjo OUD Ukulele Mandolin and More

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer%C2%AE-C...andolin+pickup

Very important thing: about the mandolin setup.. If i get the mandolin from the Guitar center or musicians friend store will they set it up for me???

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need advice-planing to buy my first Mandolin

I suspect that any setup from GC or MF would be same as thru amazon - minimal or none. You will likely receive the mandolin with the bridge in a baggie and plenty high action.

I am curious how well the $6 pickup works. Let us know.

enjoy!!

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

That instrument will work fine to start with but will need some work to be playable. Look on mandolin cafe for the email link to Rob Meldrum and ask for his ebook on mandolin setup. With it you will be able to get the Rogue into playing shape. Good luck and welcome aboard.

5. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

That's a good deal, but the mandolin will need to be set-up. If you're handy, then you can email Rob as mentioned above and do your own setup. This will be an important step and will save you a lot of money.

Good luck and have fun!
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

7. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

I know I go against the grain here, but I have always thought the Rogue, in spite of its seductively low price, a poor choice for a beginner. They always need set up, and probably string replacement, no matter what outlet you purchase from. Yes, Rob Meldrum has written an excellent e-book on set up, and he is an advocate for applying his concepts to cheap instruments like the Rogue. But even if it is correctly set up, you can't get around the fact it is formed mystery plywood, not carved solid tone wood. Also no truss rod so no neck adjustability. Poor quality tuners, sketchy construction, on and on. All of which adds up to likely dissatisfaction and ultimate disilluionment with the mandolin in general. Used Rogues are easy to find on Shopgoodwill, where they were just given away, and on Guitar Centers's used Web site, where they end up when people either give up or trade up.

The case looks ok I guess, but who knows? Unknown brand with zero reputation. The Planet Waves strap is ok. But that pickup makes me cringe. As pictured, used on a guitar, you are supposed to clip it in place with a stationary store bulldog clip? And then you attach the jack with stick on Velcro? Even if this was a good system for attaching everything, which it is not, how would you clip the pickup into an F hole with that gigantic bulldog clip?

I wonder whether the OP, or any of the other OPs who have posted similar "questions", bother to shop anywhere else other than Amazon, or ever considered spending more than a hundred bucks. Yes I understand the need to "not spend too much on it", but if one is to have a decent chance at success what you choose must meet certain standards. I bought my first guitar from Sears and Roebuck so that I "wouldn't spend too much". It never occurred to me to buy a guitar from a music store! Why spend more money when the "same thing" cost so much less from Sears! Needless to say, I learned my lesson but good. So instead of Amazon, why not an actual music store like Elderly, who sells the Kentucky KM 150, professionally set up, in an outfit with case and a bunch of accessories for $350? Or Folkmuician.com, who sells The Loar 170 (laminate body but a solid carved spruce top) outfit for $399?

Yes, I know 350 or 400 dollars is substantially more that 100. But think on this: if you start out with something of reasonably decent quality, then your chances of success increase exponentially. And if you do end up wanting to move on, you have something to trade in or sell that people will actually want to buy. Or something you can keep for your "beater" if you move up.

Just some things to consider.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    That instrument will work fine to start with but will need some work to be playable. Look on mandolin cafe for the email link to Rob Meldrum and ask for his ebook on mandolin setup. With it you will be able to get the Rogue into playing shape. Good luck and welcome aboard.
    To extrapolate:
    I think based on your post you are trying to get started on a budget. No problem you should be able to do that fine. But no I don't think you can expect setup from GC or MF. MF is a warehouse outlet and will only slap a shipping label on the box and send it out. I expect the same from GC. On a budget you will have to do setup yourself. It will have to be done. If you have any mechanical aptitude you can do it just fine. If not. (Like me) you will have to pay someone to do it. A decent job will likely cost more than the mandolin. If you go that way best would be to spend a little more for a pre setup instrument from a site sponsor. For instance for $155 total you can get a solid wood Rover RM50 inspected setup and guaranteed from Elderly Instruments. The mandolin will arrive guaranteed ready to play.
    Your choice. You can definitely do it yourself and do it just fine. Not only will you save money you will gain a better understanding of your instrument how it works and how to play it properly.
    Last edited by Roger Moss; Jun-14-2016 at 10:56am. Reason: Mistake

11. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Thanks for your reply Multidon, I agree whatever you've said, Unfortunately we don't get mandolins in India. I need to import it and this will add another 100$ to my cost. if I go for Kentucky for sure it will cost me more than 550$.

You won't believe, mandolins in India cost less than 20$, of course local brand and they are horrible.

What I've heard, mandolins from Amazon requires initial setup, So I think I should get it from a store.

Thanks

I'm with Multidon. mandolins under 100 bucks are more likely to make you quit mandolin rather than make you go further. several years ago I tried mandolin and picked up a cheap one from some guitar store. it sounded like crap and was very hard to play. I never got past one song before moving on.

I got a kentucky km-150 and had it set up properly and its MUCH easier to play and it actually sounds good.

so even if you have to wait a while because you either need to save up money or find a good store, or both, I say do that. don't waste your time and money on one of these super cheap mandolins. it's not worth it.

that's my two cents anyway. spend it how you like.

I totally agree with what multidon has said. The GC, Amazon and other big box sources wil not only provide a mandolin that has nothing good going for it in terms of wood, tuners, etc., it certainly will need a total set up. The quality of Rob Meldrum's instructions not withstanding, a beginner isn't going to know if or when he even comes close to getting the set up right. I can't think of anything potentially more discouraging to a new would be player than buying a mandolin of such poor quality. IMO, the OP would be far better off watching the classifieds here waiting for a good used Kentucky 150 or something similar to come along. Of course if he is in India shipping may be a problem. If so, SAVING enough money to buy a decent starter from Elderly, Folk Musician, etc. will go a long way toward a happy and successful musical journey with the mandolin.
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

Roger thanks for your reply, 155$ is perfect but I need to add import duties, way beyond my budget. It's better for me to learn how to setup a Mandolin, moreover in India there's no one who can do this job. May be I'll ask my carpenter. Kidding!!

Hey indie! I started with an alternatively badged 'Rogue' mandolin that cost me Ģ26 or about 37 USD. I had to sand the bridge and the saddle as it was'nt snug to the body and even with the adjustable bridge,the action was very high.
    The nut had to be sanded down and renotched for the strings and several frets had to be filed down to stop it buzzing.
    I'm an experienced joiner/cabinet maker and using the previously mentioned set-up eBook it was possible to get it playing ok,but since I have upgraded from the 'Rogue' I have found the gulf in sound and quality so vast I could never go back to it and actually gave it away because I knew I would never play it again.
    Point is.....as soon as you have a go on a better instrument you may find yourself wishing you had spent a little more.
    Just my tuppence worth....good luck!
    Jes Woodland
    Ozark 2001Mandolin
    Ozark 2223 Octave Mandolin

17. The following members say thank you to Jes Woodland for this post:

Mike thanks. Let me think, if Rogue is that bad, may be spending 60$ on it, is a waste. Only option I have is to beg , borrow or steal . Can't wait that long to buy a new mandolin.

Hey there indie rock, when I wrote my reply, I did not realize you were in India or the problems with import fees you face, or the lack of mandolins in India. If the Rogue is the best you can hope for in your budget then I'm sure that it can be made to play correctly for you. Just know that the tone quality will be less than optimal. If mandolins are that rare in India then having a store set it up is probably a bad idea if the tech is not familiar with mandolins. You would probably be better off getting Rob's e book and doing it yourself to make sure it's right. You will learn a lot too. Good luck!
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

20. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

I agree with multidon. If a Rogue is what you can afford in an instrument you can make work. Yes a more expensive mandolin will sound better but at least you can get started. If indeed you like it and want to continue you will have the leisure to save up enough to get something nice. Many people look down on Rogue but I had one and it did alright once adjusted.

22. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Hi Balrog! I feel the same what others have been discussing. Rogue is not a good option to start with. May the way you started and later upgraded, I'll do the same. Unless Santa comes before Christmas and gifts me one.

I will crawl, I will walk, I will run, but I won't stop- mandolin is the ultimate goal. I have to learn and perform and share the knowledge like you all do" Mandolin Cafe"
    Thanks

Thank you so much Multidon. I agree, tone won't be that good on Rogue. I have 3 custom made electric Mandolins ( I love their tones).

Anyways you guys rock

I was under the impression this was your first mandolin. If you already have one and are looking for an acoustic one save up your money until you can afford a good Kentucky.

Yes sort of first mandolin, because I am using a 5 string modified mandolin, which is more suitable to play Indian Classical music.

Roger!! can bluegrass music be played on an electric 5 string mandolin? Some what I am trying to play, but of course it doesn't have the tone of a bluegrass Mandolin ( for sure). What I've done now is, I've removed one string from the Mandolin and I am trying to practice western music on it. Some how it works, at least something is better than nothing. That's why I thought of buying a Rogue, just to start on something and later upgrade.

Ha Ha! Bluegrass on a five string electric mandolin?

Well, you know, you can play anything on anything. There are no rules. Really, there aren't. However, there are folks around these parts we call the "Bluegrass Police", who will place you under citizen's arrest if you dare to think outside the box and do anything in a way that Bill Monroe would not have done it. It's called the rule of "That Ain't No Part of Nothin'".

I think you will be safe for now. As far as I know, the Bluegrass Police have not established a branch office in India yet.

I personally LOVE the idea of playing Bluegrass on a 5 string electric! Put that 5th string back on and throw in some notes Bill never even thought of! Please, do post a video sometime when you feel comfortable doing so.

Maybe you can start a new genre. Indian Classical Bluegrass Fusion perhaps?
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Well you won't get the same sound or playing experience in a 4 string electric that you would on an 8 string acoustic even a Rogue. If that is your aim maybe a Rogue would fit your needs. Temporarily. As long as you realize you will eventually need to upgrade you can at least get started.

We have "Bluegrass Police" around here too but they consider anything except a f-style Gibson a violation.
    Last edited by Roger Moss; Jun-14-2016 at 1:59pm. Reason: Addition

30. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

I'll give you a different perspective. I started with a Rogue a little over a year ago. Spent $80 at GC including bag, strap and new strings. I did all the set-up and restringing myself using Rob Meldrum's book. I was totally new to music as an adult - elementary school French Horn was my only previous experience.

Once set up, the instrument sounded not bad. It was a better instrument than I was a musician. I took a bunch of lessons, practiced lots, and learned a ton. Sort of even became a musician! All with the cheapo Rogue.

Recently I upgraded to a nice used Weber. I adore my Weber and will play just for the privilege of listening to it. But I took my Rogue camping a few weeks ago, and while it wasn't nearly as nice as the Weber, it wasn't bad either. More fun than playing nothing around the campfire! So don't be afraid of a lowly Rogue.
    Playing since May 2015
    Weber Gallatin A-Style 2014

32. The following members say thank you to Scott N. for this post:

I always say you can't learn to race at the Indy 500 with a Volkswagen, but then I have known folks who put a V8 in their VW. Whatever it takes to get started.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Ha ha! Bluegrass Police!! Seriously ?? You know in India we have similar people , they don't have any name. They are hard core traditional musicians, they won't accept improvisation beyond a certain point.
    If you break the rules, they will curse you and most likely you wont see them ever again. Their feedback will come in the next days newspaper.
    Playing a chord or adding elements from other forms of music is a sin. " You'll be dead for sure" lol.

I personally LOVE the idea of playing Bluegrass on a 5 string electric! Put that 5th string back on and throw in some notes Bill never even thought of! Please, do post a video sometime when you feel comfortable doing so.
    Ha ha! Multidon you should come to India and rock.
    Yes I will post and get killed from both the sides" Bluegrass police- Indian musicians" ha hahahhahahaha

35. The following members say thank you to indie rock for this post:

Hi Scott. What you've written it makes sense to me. I will try for a Kentucky, if not I'll get a Rogue.
    I am surprised Rogue being a cheap mandolin, but it's quite popular.

Super excited!! Finally I am gonna get my first Acoustic Mandolin -Mitchell MM100VS(setup included) from the Guitar Center.

I was first planning to buy a Rogue, but the guy at the Guitar Center suggested -Mitchell MM100VS- it's not a great mandolin, but better than a Rogue" I believe''.

What surprises me- Rogue is far more popular than Mitchell. (price factor, may be)

Mitchell has Solid spruce top, what does that mean? is it good or bad?