Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pick Family

Default Re: Pick Family

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B. Carlson View Post
    I do have both a Dawg and a Golden Gate. But I'm not talented enough to get a good sound with them. The large triangle is my favorite shape.
    I thought the same thing as Tobin; "why no GG or Dawg"? But I think it's clear that folks develop a really strong preference for a certain shape/bevel. Here's the thing though; I notice you have at least several, eg the Bluechips and RedBears, that are prefabricated with several different point shapes on the same tri-pick. You can easily make, and fine-adjust, these modifications to point size, shape, and bevel yourself.

I favor GG picks for mandolin, but I'm never happy with the point/bevel until I mess with it some. GGs have much more rounded triangles; I look for the most pronounced stock points I can find (because they vary), and then sharpen points slightly and create a steeper (ie sharper bevel). You can retain the smooth feel of the pick through the strings, but significantly increase volume and add more bite to the tone. It is easier still to make a sharper point more rounded. This can all be done in 5-10 mins with ~3 gauges of sandpaper and polishing with a buffing pad.

Added benefit - making modifications dramatically raises your "pick junkie quotient". Also, as you point out, if you don't like the result the first experiment or two, new material is cheap.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

I have modified both BC picks, both Wegens, and 1 Red Bear and the ProPlec. For mandolin, I use the speed bevel, but for guitar I like a more standard bevel or a very slight speed bevel, so I modify different points for each.
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bingoccc View Post
    I've heard Hawk picks might be worth a shot. Never tried one though.
    Just got mine. Thanks for the tip! I absolutely love it! Feels and sounds better than the Red Bear. Really great and clear but fat tone. I got the standard bevel. Perfect fit and finish. I can't put it down. Definitely worth a try. Here it is. compared to ones of my BCs.

4. The following members say thank you to Andrew B. Carlson for this post: