Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: How do you justify a high end mandolin? Or do you?

Default Re: How do you justify a high end mandolin? Or do you?

Quote Originally Posted by JKA View Post
    I think this post should have ended with the wise words of Jmagill...there's nothing more to be said or needs to be said
    If truly wise words ended threads, this one would have stopped after the very first (Shaun G's) reply.
    I guess that's why we non-moderators don't decide these things.

2. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

"
    Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Life is too short for cheap mandolins or cheap wine! If you like it and can comfortably afford it, do it. You can't take money with you when you go and none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow!
    Let's examine this statement.
    Firstly, "life's too short for cheap mandolins or cheap wine". I have been in the
    company of many people over the years when the idea that life was too short
    did not occur to me, so this first assertion we may regard as questionable.
    That life is too short, "for cheap mandolins or cheap wine" is quite
    definitely not true. Given an attenuated life expectancy I submit that a cheap
    mandolin and more especially, cheap wine, would be very welcome.
    The exhortation, " if you like it and can comfortably afford it, do it" is nothing less
    than charter for anarchy; dangerously irresponsible.
    The claim that, " you can't take money with you when you go" is unproved and
    finally, utterly unknowable.
    As for the information that, "none of us is guaranteed a tomorrow! ", well a
    depressing note to end upon certainly; if it is true. Very problematic this one.
    Guaranteed by whom ? What is tomorrow ? etc . . .

Sgarrity may offer us nothing but a doom laden diet of the deeply questionable and
    the dangerously irresponsible . . .

. . . but he's right.
    Last edited by UlsterMando; May-08-2016 at 6:58pm. Reason: Overuse of the semi-colon

Quote Originally Posted by chris.burcher View Post
    There are other intangibles, though. The way a mandolin FEELS in my hands, how easy it is to play, how it affects my perception of my own playing - those are important attributes to me. The best guitars and mandolins I've ever played make me FEEL like a better player. That probably isn't consistent for all of us and therefore complicates things very highly.
    You can do the feel/playability test blind also by having someone hand you one to you and trying it out without looking at the logo just to see what it feels like, and see if you can identify it from 3-4 others lined up in the store. I've done this on a few and it helped narrow down my choices. Of course if you're buying via Internet this doesn't work.

I say just go get you a Gilchrist, you deserve it and enjoy, when you are too old to play it sell it for maybe more than you paid.
    MAS Fund.......Up and running again

I'm not reading six pages to see the hundred plus people telling you one or the other way. One thing and only one thing,
    If it does not impact life in a bad way, just play it and if it really (Really) speaks to you then just buy it and play like there's no tomorrow! That's only if it really speaks to you, if you play on it for an hour and it does not really trip your trigger, wait for one that does, I have been lucky to try a few that "wanted to speak" and simply didn't have the money.

Most regulars here know what they can all pool their money for and give me one helluva birthday present!

Birthday is in August, plenty of time! Just letting you all know that my wife didn't get it for me last year, she wanted to but, we needed a roof!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

7. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

hank 

I'm old enough and independant enough not to have to justify anything to anybody.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Hanson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    I'm old enough and independent enough not to have to justify anything to anybody.

Dave H
    Dave,

The issue here is whether you can justify your purchase yourself. As to whether you justify it to someone else, usually your spouse or girlfriend is another layer in the justification cake. I think one's conscience based on personal philosophy, values, and disposable income, enter very much enter into the buying equation. I am not sure we would be all having this discussion if we lived in the back streets of Calcutta. We are a very priviliged few in the world at large.
    Nic Gellie

11. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

Jim 

...and I worry how to pay for $10,000+ in medical bills. Remind your wife and kids and yourself not to get sick.

13. The following members say thank you to dustyamps for this post:

I think we answered the justification question, but a note on A_B testing: Having or not having your old standby for comparison has both cost me and saved me. It cost me when I didn't have the old standby along, and it saved me considerably when I did have it along for comparison. Also, when you stumble upon something when you're far from home, and you haven't played in days, beware this too. Those little buggers will follow you home, I know.

We all got something we want. It's the things that are just slightly out of our reach that we get anxious about. Things that are way out of our league we don't think about, and things that come easily we take for granted. I don't lust for a Learjet because it's too far beyond me. Books and mp3's which I love are so readily accessible we accumulate so much we end up with piles of unread books and gigabytes of unlistened-to music. But an instrument that you think you can maybe get with a stretch, that drives you to distraction!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petrus For This Useful Post:

Jimsblock 

If you need the money later, sell the instruments. It will probably hold it's value pretty close.

I do not own a $10k mandolin however I do own a $10K+ mandola but I bought that one when I could not find anything that was high quality in a mandola that was available at that time (mid-1980s).

OTOH I have quite a few different high-quality mandolins so they certainly add up to way more than $10k.

On the third hand, I think the best approach is to find the best sounding, best playing mandolin that exists for your budget. If the one you are currently targeting is the best to you and you have the c ash, go for it. You also could keep looking and see if you can find one that you like as much for less. However, if you think you will spend the rest of your life regretting not getting the target mandolin then go for it. Simple? Nah!!

Good luck!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

19. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

hank 

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    ...On the third hand,...
    That must be the one in your avatar.?.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

in six pages, I've read the OP and landed a few other spots.

I'm not sure I can actually put my thoughts to words, but the thought, "high-end-mandolin" implies some assumption on genre. First thoughts are Gilchrist, Nugget, Dude, Heiden, etc. Sure, they are all well over $10K and high end for a target musician. I also think the versatility of these instruments is well worth the value. But. . . If you are just playing Irish, Celtic, Old-time, Classical, French Canadian, etc., etc., etc., maybe the "High-end instruments" assumed by the OP are pretty approachable in price.

So, I think somewhere in this decision is where you are as a player. I mean, if I was tearing up the Monroe breaks in a band (I'm not), I'd likely want the F5 and likely end up with an American made instrument. My taste is drawn to Filson, Red Wing, etc.

To me, it could still happen that I chase down a bluegrass box. I look, but don't need. For what I play, my A3 and A5 are all I need, and the pancake for the beach. A well-justified beach mandolin!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

23. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

hank 

My most expensive instrument was my acoustic guitar... $1600 cdn. I played it alongside more expensive offerings in the store and it was the one that spoke to me. I have not seen or held a "high end" mandolin as the only stuff I see are Eastman, Fender, Epiphone, Gold Tone or Godin... I have a real Fender Strat and a Squire... For hard rock that Squire is a nice guitar as it has a bridge humbucker. The tuning isn't as precise sure... I got to play a $4000 custom build guitar Saturday night and maybe my talent doesn't warrant but I think my Strat was every bit as playable. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on one instrument when I can get so many cool toys with that much money
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

"High End" to me does not, necessarily, mean high dollars.

I have owned in excess of 50 mandolins. Many pre war, Loar era, custom made etc.

My favorites may not have been in vogue, but Jethro liked a couple, and Seiffert enjoyed making a couple, and I liked them.

I can afford, but cannot justify, most of the coveted makes (Loars excepted). Additionally, some of them just don't float my boat.

Playability, tone, adult width nut, quality materials and workmanship, and not popularity, attract my attention.

I have had more pleasure and spent more time on sub $1000 mandolins. I take my time finding another. More often than not, they "fall on me".

26. The following members say thank you to Jeff Hildreth for this post:

hank 

bass player gone mando

Mandolin and mandola, to me, are instruments where the money you spend is really worth it in terms of how much better the instrument plays. In contrast would be electric bass guitar - yes, a $3k bass guitar is better than a $600 bass guitar - but you can go out and play a damn good gig on a $600 bass guitar. And spending more than $3k on a bass guitar is just unnecessary.

In contrast, a $600 mandolin will be good, but may frustrate you and a $3k mandolin will be GREAT in comparison. And a $10k one will be amazing. (I haven't gone up to that level, but I do have a Collings that is not in my signature yet.)

Upright basses are somewhat the same - cheap ones just aren't going to do it, but good ones at say the $3k level are not only GREAT in comparison but will hold their value.

If you can maintain the instruments and pass them on to loved ones who play, or sell them through a seller who knows their value, it's a good investment in your own happiness, if you have the financial cushion to do it.

Don't get me started on mandolas ...
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

I've got a bunch of stringed instruments, in all ranges from cheap to pretty costly. Each of them has something to recommend itself, but, oddly enough perhaps, the costliest do not end up as my go-to instruments. The ones I pick up most often are the ones that just sing to me.

I'm grateful for the opportunities I've had to experience the others, but mostly I'm glad I found "the ones" I most enjoy.

People buy $10000 (conservative number) cars all the time, only to have them immediately drop by half in value, drive them only a few years then sell them at a loss and buy another. All without thinking about it.

In that context, why would anyone think spending the same chunk of cash on a fine instrument is poorly spent?

Unlike the car, A nice mandolin/guitar/violin will not only last your whole life, but it could last your kids whole life, too. It will give you pleasure every time you pick it up. You don't have to throw $50 worth of gas in it every week, andit won't cost an arm and a leg to get a tune up!

Go get thee a nice mandolin!
    Austin Clark
    http://www.clarkmandolins.com

Clark Mandolins on Facebook

@scrollenvy on Instagram

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Austin Clark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Life is too short for cheap mandolins or cheap wine!
    Actually I tend to drink fairly cheap wine in order to justify my nice instruments!
    David A. Gordon

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

chuck3hank 

It shouldn't be a big deal to save up enough money for a good mandolin, my MAS fund is nearing $9k that should get me a nice used Ellis if not I'll just have to keep saving.
    Incidentally in my world an Ellis is about as hi end as I go, and if you know of one please PM me
    Iron
    MAS Fund.......Up and running again

Between Scott’s post, jmagill’s wise words, and all the other responses here, it seems that everything that can possibly be said on this topic has been said…. ….but of course that’s no reason not to say more….

As the great mandolinist Paul Simon once said, one man’s ceiling is another man’s floor. Each player’s aesthetics are unique – one might value a flawless hand-rubbed gloss finish and ornate inlays, another might value great tone but understated (or even purely utilitarian) design, another values rare tonewoods with stunning figure, and there are those who value instruments built by specific luthiers. We buy mandolins as tools to make music, art to admire, perhaps even simply to provide patronage to certain builders. $10K is simply an unattainable sum of money for some of us. For others of us it’s within reach but would be irresponsible and selfish to spend on a musical instrument given certain personal circumstances. And some of us are privileged to have enough financial cushion or wealth that $10K or even $100K+ is a drop in the bucket. The OP is somewhere mid-way on that spectrum, and looking for perspective to help justify an expenditure that isn’t irresponsible for him but also isn’t a drop in the bucket. The way each of us responds to that depends on where we are on the financial spectrum and what we value in our instruments. It’s a fascinating discussion. Carry on…
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Clark View Post
    People buy $10000 (conservative number) cars all the time, only to have them immediately drop by half in value, drive them only a few years then sell them at a loss and buy another. All without thinking about it.

In that context, why would anyone think spending the same chunk of cash on a fine instrument is poorly spent?

Unlike the car, A nice mandolin/guitar/violin will not only last your whole life, but it could last your kids whole life, too. It will give you pleasure every time you pick it up. You don't have to throw $50 worth of gas in it every week, andit won't cost an arm and a leg to get a tune up!

Go get thee a nice mandolin!
    This line of reasoning makes sense to us, but most people view a vehicle as a necessity while an instrument is not. Spending tens of thousands of dollars on a vehicle that will immediately lose value and need to be replaced in a few years is just part of the expense of living in a modern society where transportation is necessary. Not having a vehicle severely limits one's ability to work, get groceries, and do all the other things that life requires. So yeah, while a mandolin may be a better investment insofar as keeping its value and lasting a lifetime (or several lifetimes), it would be pretty tough to convince a non-musician that they are equally important.

Not that I think anyone needs to justify musical purchases to non-musicians. Harumph!

36. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    This line of reasoning makes sense to us, but most people view a vehicle as a necessity while an instrument is not. Spending tens of thousands of dollars on a vehicle that will immediately lose value and need to be replaced in a few years is just part of the expense of living in a modern society where transportation is necessary. Not having a vehicle severely limits one's ability to work, get groceries, and do all the other things that life requires. So yeah, while a mandolin may be a better investment insofar as keeping its value and lasting a lifetime (or several lifetimes), it would be pretty tough to convince a non-musician that they are equally important.

Not that I think anyone needs to justify musical purchases to non-musicians. Harumph!
    Perhaps the way to look at is not to compare the $10k mandolin purchase to a rapidly depreciating car per se. The rationale makes more sense (to non-players at least) to compare the $10k mandolin purchase to the amount people routinely spend on cars ABOVE and BEYOND what is required as transportation. In other words, the extra extravagance money that 90% of car buyers pay just because they want it. I never hear a lot of hand wringing about that expenditure. It just "is." Probably because car makers have better marketing than luthiers do.

Yep, a YUGO will get you there, a Mercedes will get you there too. There's a basic US made something but, I can't think of it right now, need more coffee
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett