Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to find Gibson Sam Bush Strings (or what's an alternative)

Default Where to find Gibson Sam Bush Strings (or what's an alternative)

It seems that Gibson has basically stopped distributing its Sam Bush strings to anyone who is a usual purveyor of acoustic strings these days, so the only option to buy them seems to be direct from Gibson at $12 per set plus $10 for shipping. I love monel strings on my guitar and want to try them on the mandolin. Does anyone know where to get them at a reasonable net cost, or does anyone know of any alternatives for that dry woody sound without the bronze zing?

Thanks!

Default Re: Where to find Gibson Sam Bush Strings (or what's an alternati

Maybe the old nomenclature G - 161 ML was gone back To ? Mona-steel.

Monel being a particular variety of nickel alloy , how about Nickel wound?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have a set on a Sam Bush and I do not like them. Hard on the fingers...

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry, no help from me. When my order was back ordered at JustStrings, I tried the alternative suppliers to find the same "currently not available" message. Too bad, they are really great strings.

I went back to J74s on my MTO and after a few days they've settled down to a warm tone.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I checked at Just Strings and they are still listed as available as a product to buy. I had to search for Sam Bush Strings because they didn't pop up on the regular Gibson Mandolin strings page. But the computer program allowed me to put a set in my order box. R/

http://www.juststrings.com/gib-smg-s...kw=gib-smg-sbs
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I have been using GHS white bronze strings, they are a nickel alloy. You will have to order singles of the guitar for the G and D. I use a 42 for the G as the 38 I feel to light, but they use a lighter core wire by a few thousands from their 40 mandolin phosphor bronze. These are a warm dry string that need no breakin and last in tone for much longer than other bronze strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I ordered a couple of sets from Just Strings yesterday. They've given no indication that they're on back order although they haven't said they've been shipped either.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    I ordered a couple of sets from Just Strings yesterday. They've given no indication that they're on back order although they haven't said they've been shipped either.
    For those who've recommended Just Strings: I placed an order for the Sam Bush Strings over the weekend from Just Strings, and they contacted me today to tell me that they do not have them in stock, despite the website allowing me to order them. Gibson has not fulfilled their order requests for Sam Bush strings for some time.

So, I called Gibson and was told by a rep that JustStrings and StringsAndBeyond were not authorized retailers, but Guitar Center was. I was very surprised by this. I then called a well-known, but small-shop, seller of Gibson Mandolins and asked them if they had the strings, and I was told that they didn't, and only major Gibson account holders--like Musicians Friend/Guitar Center--could get them. (This recent policy by Gibson might explain why Gibson told me that the online string shops were not "authorized retailers.") Then I called Guitar Center, and they said they can't get them for me. The Gibson Store seems to be the only place to buy them right now.
    Last edited by jljohn; May-02-2016 at 9:31pm.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have been using GHS white bronze strings, they are a nickel alloy. You will have to order singles of the guitar for the G and D. I use a 42 for the G as the 38 I feel to light, but they use a lighter core wire by a few thousands from their 40 mandolin phosphor bronze. These are a warm dry string that need no breakin and last in tone for much longer than other bronze strings.
    Hi Pops1,

I'm confused. Is this the "Bright Bronze" set, or something else? If it is the bright bronze set, then it is 80/20 Copper/Zinc, not nickel.

Quote Originally Posted by jljohn View Post
    Hi Pops1,

I'm confused. Is this the "Bright Bronze" set, or something else? If it is the bright bronze set, then it is 80/20 Copper/Zinc, not nickel.
    Not bright bronze, but White Bronze and yes they are a nickel alloy. I have talked to GHS and they may make a pure nickel string???? They are also magnetic for those playing electric mandolin with a magnetic pickup.

I've used stainless steel and nickel wound on my Dearstone and think they are a lot like Sam Bush gibsons. I think a couple different makers make one or both of these. As a side note I remember when they were 161's and if memory serves at one point they were endorsed by Mr. Bill Monroe.

Blog Entries

I'd obviously have failed all my exams if taking a business course, because I'd have thought that.. you know...if I wanted to make a profit and be successful it would make the most sense to make it as easy as possible for customers and stores to be able to get hold of my stuff. Not turn it into an obstacle course. The logic behind all this is clearly beyond me. The must be a good reason somewhere, but what it is I have no idea.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Not bright bronze, but White Bronze and yes they are a nickel alloy. I have talked to GHS and they may make a pure nickel string???? They are also magnetic for those playing electric mandolin with a magnetic pickup.
    Hmm. I can't find them on the GHS site or via google. I find GHS White Bronze Guitar Strings but not Mandolin. Where have you found them? Or are you buying two guitar sets and supplementing those sets with 4 single strings?

Hmm. I can't find them on the GHS site or via google. I find GHS White Bronze Guitar Strings but not Mandolin. Where have you found them? Or are you buying two guitar sets and supplementing those sets with 4 single strings?
    I am buying singles, two loop end for the E and A and guitar for the G and D. I have talked to them about making them in loop end, but they have not committed yet. I will call them again as they are a great string and taking the little balls off is a pain. Once you get it down it's not that bad, but not as easy as just putting strings on.

For those who've recommended Just Strings: I placed an order for the Sam Bush Strings over the weekend from Just Strings, and they contacted me today to tell me that they do not have them in stock, despite the website allowing me to order them. Gibson has not fulfilled their order requests for Sam Bush strings for some time.

So, I called Gibson and was told by a rep that JustStrings and StringsAndBeyond were not authorized retailers, but Guitar Center was. I was very surprised by this. I then called a well-known, but small-shop, seller of Gibson Mandolins and asked them if they had the strings, and I was told that they didn't, and only major Gibson account holders--like Musicians Friend/Guitar Center--could get them. (This recent policy by Gibson might explain why they Gibson told be that the online string shops were not "authorized retailers.") Then I called Guitar Center, and they said they can't get them for me. The Gibson Store seems to be the only place to buy them right now.
    Thanks. I'll take appropriate action. That may include re-examining my doing business with Just Strings, in spite of the fact that they support this Forum.
    David Hopkins

McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    Thanks. I'll take appropriate action. That may include re-examining my doing business with Just Strings, in spite of the fact that they support this Forum.
    Well, the only issue I would take with Just Strings is that the Gibson strings are still on their website. The real issue, I think, is with Gibson. Why in the world would they not want their strings out there as accessible as possible. You'd think they'd want them on the counter at every mom and pop shop in the country and showcased in the big box stores too.

17. The following members say thank you to jljohn for this post:

From Almeria - "The logic behind all this is clearly beyond me....!. For hoards of others as well !!!. It's been pretty well documented that several years ago,Gibson changed their dealer strategy & pulled the plug on many stores that had previously sold Gibson instruments etc. The string thing seems like an 'added extra' to an already stupid situation.
    I really can't understand the reasoning behind the Gibson marketing strategy. Mention Bluegrass & banjos,& i'd bet that almost everybody would think of Earl Scruggs' Gibson 'Mastertone',but where are the 'new ones' built to those high pre-war standards ??.
    There's so much confusion going on,that it's hard to figure out just what Gibson are doing these days, apart from making elec.& acoustic guitars. This 'string thing' is ridiculous & i'd be trying several alternatives,& as i found out personally,you might be very pleasantly surprised,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My order with JustStrings went in at least a month ago. Backorder isn't all that unusual, it's happened before to me but never taken this long. I did receive prompt notification from JS. I guess they assumed Gibson would fill their order... our orders. But, maybe not?

Ivan, what did you settle on (strings that is) for your Ellis?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    From Almeria - "The logic behind all this is clearly beyond me....!. For hoards of others as well !!!. It's been pretty well documented that several years ago,Gibson changed their dealer strategy & pulled the plug on many stores that had previously sold Gibson instruments etc. The string thing seems like an 'added extra' to an already stupid situation.
    I really can't understand the reasoning behind the Gibson marketing strategy. Mention Bluegrass & banjos,& i'd bet that almost everybody would think of Earl Scruggs' Gibson 'Mastertone',but where are the 'new ones' built to those high pre-war standards ??.
    There's so much confusion going on,that it's hard to figure out just what Gibson are doing these days, apart from making elec.& acoustic guitars. This 'string thing' is ridiculous & i'd be trying several alternatives,& as i found out personally,you might be very pleasantly surprised,
    Ivan

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well .... Strings get dropped and that's a fact Jack ..... Martin SP mandolin strings were my go to for years then they became hard to find. I can still find sets now and again but not "fresh". I asked the Martin rep about this and was told that he was getting similar comments from around the country and he would bring it up at the quarterly meeting of "heads" >........ We shall see. Gibson on the other hand seems to be doing some " FUNKY " sh..ummmm stuff lately anyway. Gibson Electronics Corporation .....sigh... What would Orville and Lloyd think? Then again, if memory serves, Lloyd was interested in electrostatic amplification. Change is the surety we can count on.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Well, the only issue I would take with Just Strings is that the Gibson strings are still on their website. The real issue, I think, is with Gibson. Why in the world would they not want their strings out there as accessible as possible. You'd think they'd want them on the counter at every mom and pop shop in the country and showcased in the big box stores too.
    The fact that they're still shown on the web site with no indication that they're on back order or not available should be enough of an issue. I still haven't received notification from them that the strings will be late or are not available. Except for this Forum, I would have no idea that there apparently are problems.
    David Hopkins

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

I bought 12 sets for about $80 off of a guy on Ebay about a year and a half ago, since this isn't the first time there's been talk of these becoming scarce. I don't see anything there currently, but you may want to keep an eye out.

I was finally notified by Just Strings that they are "out of the ordered items but do have them on order."

I'll just move on to some other strings. Gibson charges what seems to be unusually high "shipping and handling" and, as good as the strings seem to be, it's not worth the cost and hassle.
    David Hopkins

It seems like Gibson's business strategy, when it comes to non-electric instruments, is some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy. The make their products scarce and overpriced, then watch as the sales drop, and then pull the plug on them -- on the grounds that they're not selling well. Catch-22! Let's face it: Gibson is not serving our community well.

Where does Sam get them?! I can't believe Gibson would leave him high and dry (but you never know with Gibson).
    1999 Buckeye #18 (Bucky)
    198x Flatiron pancake mandola (no name)
    2020 Kentucky 252 oval hole (Aurum)