Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where can I learn more about Jethro Burns?

Default Re: Where can I learn more about Jethro Burns?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Gee Alan, some might just start here!
    I understand Alan bought Hoss from you Tim, then he sold it to Norman.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

The two early all jazz recordings of Homer & Jethro--Playing It Straight and It Ain't Necessarily Square-- are in our opinion *must own* material. You're going to the well for early jazz mandolin here. A few years back someone got the licensing to produce the two on one CD and Elderly still carries them. Surprised they're still available but maybe they're still being produced. Never giving our copy up. This is as good as it gets in our opinion, and defines Jethro at the height of his talents. After Homer passed away his playing changed a fair amount but like all good musicians, they find ways to adapt and his solo material is equally spectacular.

Get them here.

Name:  sf19500.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  82.6 KB

5. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

And Scott, I still have the vinyl I got from you way back...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I understand Alan bought Hoss from you Tim, then he sold it to Norman.
    I'm My Own Grandpa, doncha know...

Jim Nikora took a lot of lessons with Jethro, and made copies of them public quite a while ago. Here is a link to them:

Jim Nikora's lessons with Jethro

Don't forget Jethro and Tiny Moore's "Back to Back"

I saw him first in the 50's at a live show with Homer, where he had a bright red suit on, and did his leaning over act, straight-faced and never missing a lick. He could lean so far over you couldn't believe he didn't fall over.

On a couple occasions in the 70's, I had chance to meet Jethro, and our band shared a gig with him and the New Homer. What a trill for a beginning mandolin picker to play on stage with a childhood hero. One of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.

A real giant, sorely missed.

Spencer

8. The following members say thank you to Spencer for this post:

AlanN 

Quote Originally Posted by rastamypasta View Post
    The other day I was watching some Sam Bush mandolin workshop videos on the youtube channels and I stumbled upon this wonderful video of Jethro Burns playing mandolin at the Alder House in 1985 with some fellas.
    There are some excellent video's of him on you tube with Chet Atkins, who I believe was his brother in law.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; May-03-2016 at 10:01am. Reason: Fixed quote syntax
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

That is probably a special Gibson hand picked for him,he said it was given to him,,,I mean, I could hardly hear the Monteleone, and he's standing right next to Jethro..

I'm always delighted when anyone discovers Jethro and wants to know more. He was my teacher, hero,and friend. Please allow me to share a few facts and leads..

The original poster may want to dig up a few magazine articles about Jethro:Mandolin Magazine Volume 11, #1, Summer 2009.Frets magazine, April 1989. Fretboard Journal #18, Summer 2010.

Lucky for all of us the recordings of Jethro's mandolin style are ample. Scott's mention of "Playing it Straight" and "It Ain't Necessarily Square" is dead on correct and appropriate. I call these records The Holy Grail, certainly for jazz mandolin players, and there's something there for all mandolin players.."must have" indeed, thank you Scott.

His pioneering chord melody style is chronicled nicely on Tea For One, produced by David Grisman. Vinyl, Kaleidescope Records.
    David also made sure Jethro and Tiny Moore recorded together. That's called Back to Back, on Acoustic Disc/Acoustic Oasis. The Legacy Sessions, mentioned earlier in this thread and here on the cafe is another large sample of Jethro's genius--3 CD's worth of tunes he shared as a parting gift to all of us.

Homer and Jethro made about 40 or 50 albums, won a Grammy, sold tons. Superstars of comedy in every medium in the 20th century: 78's, 45's LP's, radio, TV.. Albums that display the mandolin playing a bit more include Live At Vanderbilt, At the Country Club, and "Play Tenderly and Other Love Ballads"..

I think the Jethro Burns Mandolin Complete Mandolin Player book(Mel Bay) is also essential. It began as 3 books: Mandolin Player vols. 1 and 2, and "Bluegrass Techniques".. Happily they are reissued as one book. The transcriptions were done by Ken Eidson, an incredibly brilliant musician who also performed as Homer in The New Homer and Jethro. Again, these books have something for any mandolin player, don't shy away because of the j word, or the apparent difficulty of Jethro's playing style--it's laid out plainly and there's a ton of helpful stuff there.

Video-wise look for Homer and Jethro doing Jambalaya, I'm Walking Behind You, Let Me Go Blubber.....unreal! In Jambalaya(Jam-Bowl Liar, color film) he swings like mad and even hits a chord that has 5 pitches in it, thanks to split-string technique..

And now about the mandolins. Forgive me. The Gibson in the Adler House video is an F5L from the 1980's, endorsement, yes, special hand-picked, no, it was stock. Definitely a full sounding mandolin but what you're noticing is the clarity of the master's playing. The audio was recorded to a mono mic on the camera. You'll notice the volume on Jethro's voice change also as he moves around. No instrument was blowing any other instrument away, rather the elements were captured in unbalanced fashion. You may want to ask the videographer about that also, his name is on the video. Thank goodness he captured the program. Also in addition to the one mic thing, Jethro would never "blow away" anyone, he listened and was generous about leaving space for other players. Very generous.

In the 1970's I played a two point Florentine A5 Gibson, attempting to replicate Jethro's sound. When he thought I was ready he suggested getting my own sound. He recommended Monteleone, whom he had met in NY while touring with Steve Goodman. The one seen is a 1982 if I remember correctly.

Jethro played all kinds of mandolins of course. The red A5 Florentine was perhaps his favorite as well as the favorite of record producers. He had it next to him the last time I saw him. It's on Back to Back. On the Legacy Sessions it's both "Red" and the F5L. Can you tell which tracks have which? It is currently owned by Sam Bush, whom Jethro admired and influenced greatly. Sam also has a two point with F holes and a humbucker that Jethro owned. Jethro also played Washburn, Fender, and solid body Gibson mandolins. There are many funny true stories about the endorsements. Pretty safe to say the red A5 is his definitive sound and his personal favorite. A 1959 I think..and that one was custom, there's not another like it

And there certainly is not another like Jethro, and there won't be. Thank you again for your interest. He was the greatest mandolin player of his time.

12. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks Mr. Stiernberg!
    We are so lucky to live in an age when this information can be shared so quickly and by those who were on the scene!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

14. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Thank you very much Don,,,absolutely no insult to you, your playing is awesome, just can't hear to well on the video clip.I in no way meant to imply that Jethro wants to"blow"people away,, it's a term I used to describe the volume,,, I really think also that Jethro would want everyone to be heard...he seems like that kind of guy,,his picking looks so effortless,

Thank you for the insight Mr. Stiernberg, great post!
    I've only heard Jethro's name in passing mentioned by many great mandolin players, and the other day stumbled across the same YouTube video being discussed and was amazed. I'm going to start doing some digging in on his books and try to pick some of this stuff up. I'm a bluegrass guy, but a few jazzy licks are fun from time to time!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Don,

Is The Lady Is A Tramp often done in C? Seems to fit real nice on the mandolin there, but imagine the horn cats may use a flat key.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Jethro makes that guitar sound like a jazz horn player, amazing tone he gets on that thing.
    I heard a little Eddie Lang in there too but with some more bop style lines

Don sez......He was the greatest mandolin player of his time.

I say.....hear, hear.

Tim Wilson

I will echo all the positive statements made by Don & the others.
    Jethro was my 1st Mandolin teacher & I am so fortunate & grateful for that.
    As a player & teacher, he was inspiring, generous, encouraging, & of course, funny. He would dazzle you with his brilliance one minute then crack you up with his zaniness the next. It was a privilege to spend time with him.
    Joe B

Quote Originally Posted by Don Stiernberg View Post
    And there certainly is not another like Jethro, and there won't be. Thank you again for your interest. He was the greatest mandolin player of his time.
    That being said, you're doing a damn-fine job keeping the jazz mandolin torch burning bright and keeping his legacy moving forward.

Thanks for the detailed and personal post, Don.

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    No: I wouldn't be too quick to make this assumption. For one, Jethro Burn's Gibson is situated closer to the microphone than Don Stiernberg's Monteleone. This video clip was made for a local TV station, and their boom mike was probably right above the center of the stage -- where Jethro was. All of which makes perfect sense, since it was a show that featured Jethro, after all! For another thing -- and this is likely to be the most important factor of all -- they are entirely different players, and a lot of the volume comes from the player's right hand, not just from the instrument. It is simply not true that a late-model Gibson "blows away" a Monteleone in terms of the volume, in my experience. These instruments have rather different timbres, for sure, but the loudness levels are not dramatically different.
    In this day and age a person should be able to make a statement of personal opinion without being called out by a bully attempting to show how much smarter they are than everyone else.IMHO

23. The following members say thank you to Frankdolin for this post:

If you read Don Stierenberg's post he pretty much verified what sblock said about the two mandolins, the recording level, the effect of mike placement and Jethro's right hand. The only incorrect parts were the provenance of Sam Bush's mandolin and the use of a boom mike. From Don Stierenberg's account it sounds like the comment that the Gibson blew away the Monteleone was just plain incorrect as well as a couple of other things that came up in the thread about the mandolins themselves. It is not bullying to disagree and post correct information if it is done without personal abuse. When people post things that are just plain wrong it should be corrected, politely. It is wonderful that someone of Don's caliber is willing to give a first hand account and tell about his time with Jethro.
    Last edited by CarlM; May-04-2016 at 9:42am.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

Thank's to Don for his post, very enlightening. Back in the 80's I ran into Jethro and Red Rector at a small festival in Kissimmee FL., and just stood around for a half hour and watched them pick and joke around. It was very personal and fun. Here is a clip of them playing together.......

These two gentleman truly liked each other.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Thanks Charles! They sure do look like it had been a wonderful evening! Having a good time is putting it mildly. Such talent, I wish I had been there.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

Jethro Burns is the most important person in my mandolin life that started at age 5 and I'm 60 now.As a child we had a very limited selection of records with my Moms' show-tunes and Dads' Hank Williams and Snow along with a couple Homer and Jethro. Before I could even understand what they were singing about I was always drawn to Jethros fills and solos. And since I can not remember ever not wanting to play I'd say he was the reason I bugged my Dad till he gave in and let me fool with his old German flat-top.And only after getting serious about the mandolin again and joining this great site in 2013 did I find out about any of the great players past or present.
    Thanks to Don and all who keep Jethros memory alive. And for those just learning of who I think is the greatest mandolin player ever, listen to every note you can find.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Don Stiernberg View Post
    Bow down before the greatness... is correct.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I think Don mentioned this one, which I had forgotten about. Very great.

Wow !!!

To the OP's question .... Don has opened wide the big double doors to the path to getting to know Jethro.

Jethro on guitar: My understanding is that Jethro and Chet Atkins married twins and as brothers-in-law got together frequently. There's a story i've read somewhere where Chet said of Jethro's guitar playing that Chet couldn't figure out what Jethro did ... he just grabbed a handful of chords and it was perfect.

All that's been said of Jethro's generosity as a teacher is true of his student as well. Don is just phenomenal as an instructor. I've had the opportunity to spend time with him for a couple of years at Mandolin Camp North ... missed it this year .... If you get a chance TAKE IT!

True of Jethro and just as true of Don ... it's really all about the Joy of music. Superb music served with a smile. Along those lines i just came across this video of John Pizzarelli and his sharing of music and joy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtujKiQKj68

Thanks for the thread ... and thanks Don for posting,

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary