Thread: 1 3/16 nut

Default 1 3/16 nut

My mandolin has a 1 3/16 nut. If I switch to a Mando with a different size nut will it be difficult to adapt? I'm almost a year into learning to play so I'm still a beginner. I know I'll eventually buy another one (or two) so would appreciate some advice. I definitely will keep this one because I like it so much. I played a lot of others before buying this one.
    I've got a Weber Gallatin F which I really like. It was a custom build and for some reason ended up being for sale in a music store- not sure what happened because I bought it new. I planned on buying the Gallatin A but when I played this one I knew I would go back to buy it which I did a week later. I kind of liken it to buying a car- when you sit down in the seat and grab the wheel you know whether it's THE ONE or not. I had that same feeling as soon as I held and played it. Really an awesome experience.
    So when I buy my next Mando what would you suggest?
    Bonnie

Default Re: 1 3/16 nut

I really thought I would have a hard time switching back to a more narrow nut, but it was pretty seamless. It actually helps me get those chords like Em where I want to grab 2 sets of strings at once.

The bigger thing to me is the spacing at the bridge. My Kelley has the sets a little further apart from each other than the Flatbush. Try just topping in a couple of music stores if you get the chance or borrowing other instruments at a jam and see what's comfortable. Good luck!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Hi Bonnie,

I don't see a problem switching back and forth between a 1-3/16" and a 1-1/8" nut width. For me, the joy of owning multiple instruments has always been about the variety. I want each instrument to be different. On guitar, switching back and forth between 6 and 12 strings doesn't feel strange to me.

I imagine it would take all of a few minutes for you to adapt to a 1-1/8" nut. With only a 1/16" difference, it will be more about the string spacing anyway.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I agree with Drew and Robert. I switch between 1-3/16", 1-1/8, and 1-1/4 with little difficulty. And I have big hands. It takes about one tune for me to adapt between the widths. That said, there are limits. A 1-1/6 nut width is too narrow for me. It's best to play a variety of nut widths if you have the luxury to visit a decent mandolin shop.

I make the spacing at the bridge the same for all my mando's so the right hand is consistent. I don't have a problem on the left going between 1 1/4 and 1 1/8.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks all for your advice. Good idea to get back into the stores and try out more instruments. I probl will do that next week when I'm on vacation which is a "staycation".
    Bonnie