Thread: Heiden

Default Heiden

I just returned from a visit to Michael Heiden's shop. I had Michael do a fret level and tune up on my much loved A model. What a great shop to visit (and nice man to talk to) and look at all the mandos etc in progress. A lovely looking x-braced oval in early stage of construction, A models waiting for backs and F model tops and backs. Best of all several octave mandolins nearing completion, oh my the workmanship, just so great, just had to leave and head home, MAS was starting to set in. What have I got that I can sell ?
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

Default Re: Heiden

One of the best in the business. I've got to get up there some day!

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

He's a great builder and a class act.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Quote Originally Posted by billhay4 View Post
    He's a great builder and a class act.
    Bill
    I agree. He's one of the greats. As good as Gilchrist, Nugget, Dudenbostle.

I need to pay him a visit too one of these days. Any of those mandos on the bench unclaimed?
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I can't really say if the 2 A models are spoken for. Michael said the oval hole was ordered and I do know the wonderful player who's getting it (jealous). I believe Michael said the octave mandos were also ordered. I did receive an offline query about the oval hole. Yes it was definitely X-braced because I asked Michael about the bracing. Michael only lives hour an a half from me in Creston BC. And Jamie Wiens is about 20 minutes away. http://wiensmandolins.com/
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by rockies View Post
    I can't really say if the 2 A models are spoken for. Michael said the oval hole was ordered and I do know the wonderful player who's getting it (jealous). I believe Michael said the octave mandos were also ordered. I did receive an offline query about the oval hole. Yes it was definitely X-braced because I asked Michael about the bracing.
    Was it an F-style oval with a 15-fret neck? If so, I think I know who it's for also...

No it was an A style body, neck on, headstock done with very tasty inlay between tuners. Top looked like very nice red spruce. Back was not on so didn't see it so saw the bracing as mentioned. I was afraid to ask price, last time I asked Michael a price I ended up with my A #41.
    Dave

I've been up to Michaels place a couple of times now. What an experience spending the day with him in his shop. Michael is a master of his craft not to mention a great man. Looking forward to visiting Him again this year.

Blog Entries

He worked his magic on the neck and fret board of my instrument, which was not one of his, and it made it immeasurably easier to play. Kept me from selling it, for which I am grateful.

I would dearly love one of his A5s at some point.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence