Thread: Rheorical question.

Good question. I bought a tweed case for my F-2 and when outside in the sun it does not get as hot as the old black one does.

willi
    willi

I stock Calton cases in "honey beige" and "light gray" for that very reason.

Instrument and other gear cases have traditionally been made black as to hide them from view in the shadows of the stage.

Well, if you already have a black case, what would be the next best solution (in cost and effectiveness) for protection from the sun and heat?

I've been to a site that demonstrates the temperature differences between light and dark colored Colorado cases but haven't found one that points to the effectiveness of light colored case covers.

Any ideas?

--- Vinny

The best solution in terms of cost and effectiveness is to take your instrument inside or set it in the shade! The next best solution, I would think, would be to buy a light colored case cover... preferably one with some padding inside for insulation. I also cover my instruments with a blanket or silver tarp when I have to leave them in the car and roll down the windows an inch or so. I figured covering them not only keeps the sun from baking the case and provides some insulation to slow the temperature change, but also reduces the temptation for someone to bash out my windows to steal my instruments.

I've always wondered why cases were black too... it didn't seem to make sense. I thought maybe it was so they wouldn't show dirt picked up in their travels, but I think Steve's answer is probably right on the money.

pd
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

[QUOTE]Well, if you already have a black case, what would be the next best solution (in cost and effectiveness) for protection from the sun and heat?

a white case cover. It will also help that black case still look good years from now.
    Yeah, Keep calling me Hillbilly........

Here's a case conversion idea:

Spray paint it white and put a cold six pack inside!

If you don't want to go for the Calton case or equivalent then contact Randy Allen re Climate Case. It is a metalized polymer covered insulated case cover like a space blanket.

Blog Entries

I have a ClimateCase cover for a standard F-style case. I don't use it anymore as it won't fit my Calton case, but I'd let it go for $50. About half of new price.

http://www.allenguitar.com/case.htm

Black cases have become "traditional" because the vast majority of cases made during the 19th-20th century were black. Remember Henry Ford, who said you can have any color auto you want, so long as it's black. 99% of the instruments in those cases never saw a stage. I suspect anything other than black would have been viewed as frivolous, and I doubt you'd find anyone willing to buck the mindset to make a bright-colored case.

As I recall, the only cases I saw from the early part of the 20th century that were not black were made of some sort of grey canvas-like material, glued over cardboard - the functional equivalent of today's "chipboard" junk (although they seem to have stood up to the passage of time better than chipboard).

For what it's worth, my first good guitar, bought in the late 60s, was cased in an early Mark Leaf case, which was covered in black vinyl. I brought the guitar home on a typical beastly Washington DC summer day - 95 in the shade, humidity you could cut with a knife - and opened the case with some trepidation, for the trip had taken more time than I liked. The case opened with a whoosh, and a waft of cold air hit me. Temp hadn't increased by more than a degree or two from the airconditioned store. Leaf cases may not be as impact-resistant as the more armored stuff made by Calton et al, but no one has ever beat them on the temp and humidity issues - airtight seal, foam core, nice snug fit.

I've been carrying a banjo around in a huge, black, heavy Leaf case for years.
    It's like a cooler. It takes an amazingly long time for the temperature or humidity inside the case to change in some pretty extreeem situations. Mine nearly melted on one side from being left too close to the camp fire once. It was still nice and cool inside.
    It will float across a swiming pool and only draw about 2 inches of water with the banjo inside.
    It fell off my front porch -about 4 feet to the ground- with the banjo in it. No damage to the banjo or case.
    It's been fallen over by drunken festival goers, rained on etc.
    I don't think there has ever been a case that is better protection than a Leaf case.
    I still use the case to store the banjo, and transport it to festivals, jams, and band jobs, but when I have to hand carry the banjo any distance, like at a festival where there are jam sessions spread out over the camping area, I put it in a gig bag and strap it on my back. The Leaf case with the banjo in it is more than I want to carry these days.

Oh, and Michael. I get honey beige and light gray Caltons for my mandolins too. I tried white, but it was just too much like a refrigerator! Blinding in the sun!

"It will float across a swiming pool and only draw about 2 inches of water with the banjo inside."
    Banjo's as pool floats, I knew they were good for something
    Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

http://prancing-pony-agency.freeservers.com/

Wrap 'er in foil. But seriously, keep it out of the sun. You'd be surprised how quickly it will heat up.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

Sunburst said:

"I've been carrying a banjo around in a huge, black, heavy Leaf case for years.
    It's like a cooler. It takes an amazingly long time for the temperature or humidity inside the case to change in some pretty extreeem situations. Mine nearly melted on one side from being left too close to the camp fire once. It was still nice and cool inside.
    It will float across a swiming pool and only draw about 2 inches of water with the banjo inside.
    It fell off my front porch -about 4 feet to the ground- with the banjo in it. No damage to the banjo or case.
    It's been fallen over by drunken festival goers, rained on etc.
    I don't think there has ever been a case that is better protection than a Leaf case."

Remind me never to let you borrow my banjo!!
    Gibson A-9
    Fender FM-63
    Gibson A-12
    (Just for starters.......)