Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: new Aquila mandolin strings ready for tests

Default Re: new Aquila mandolin strings ready for tests

I used the "old" white set of Aquila mando strings on a mando banjo and liked them, so when i saw the new reds available I ordered two sets. I put the first set on my favilla bowlback and really liked the sound, although I thought the e was a tad pinched sounding compared to the other strings. So a few days later I put the second set on a 20's flatback with a ~13.5" scale. Both e strings broke within the first few hours. They broke in the middle, not at the nut or tailpiece, so it was not a friction thing. Reading through this thread, I see that I should perhaps I also should have let them sit or a day rather than bringing them up to pitch repeatedly on the first night- although there is nothing in the packaging indicating that one should let them sit for a day. Tonight I sat down to play the bowlback, 4 or 5 days after strings installed, and one of the e strings snapped.

It's a pity, because they sounded very good on both instruments, and perhaps if I had tuned them "correctly" this would not have happened. My intention is to buy some e string steel singles and see how they sound as a mixed set.

They feel different from "normal" strings, and the D is pretty fat - some may like the feel, some not. I was playing with a beat-up ring finger and the softness of the strings was appreciated

I have used those on uke (both white and red) and they do take quite a long time to finish stretching, like multiple days.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I found the "G" to be on the thin side to get a good tone, but perhaps
    that is a concession to the space for a pair,

When all 8 are used.. (I'm just using 4)

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I'm following this thread. Does anyone know who sells the Aquila Nylgut for mandolin? I'm guessing due to breakage they quit making them? I can't find them anywhere.
    Thanks,
    Jill
    Jill G
    Weber Bridger F
    Weber Aspen 2

I thought that Elderly had them but they only have the fifth-tuned ones for uke which are not really the same tho you could try two sets and see how they work. I have a feeling for standard carved top mandolins they would have much less tension than metal strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jill -

If you are still interested they are still available at ~$5/set at Strings and Beyond. NFI (nor a recommendation to purchase!) on my part.

Got a new nut made, now the 'G' doesn't buzz ,
    but next time Ill experiment with a mix of Classical guitar & uke strings.

Maybe the above company can make up some sets.. from individual strings , even Aquila ?

I'm using them on a Spruce topped Banjo Uke , with a mandolin scale fingerboard.

a hybrid, for sure..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks Morgan! I just ordered some.

Jill
    Jill G
    Weber Bridger F
    Weber Aspen 2

I am late to this thread, but have used the Aquila Red Mandolin strings (save the high E, which I replaced after two breaks with the E, from the regular Nylgut Soprano 5ths Uke set) and am very happy. I have them (only four) on a lovely 1923 "The Gibson" trapdoor mandolin banjo, and everybody likes the sound. I like the feel, and the easy tremolo/triplets, and really, most everything about them. I actually ran some teflon plumber's tape under the strings at nut and bridge, and as always, used about three inches of stripped wire insulation at the knot end of the E string. Months in, now, and all is good.

Thanks for great strings!

Regards,

David

I notice that Aquila states these are not for "country mandolin". Does anyone know what they mean by this?

I am guessing that they don’t recommend them for carved top mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: