Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Marshall Lessons Worth It?

Question Mike Marshall Lessons Worth It?

I’ve been teaching myself to play from a lesson book and various “free” YouTube videos for about a year but I feel like I’m stuck in where I am now and not sure where to go next. (For example, the whole Nashville Numbering System and the like is Greek to me.) Would it be worth it to try the Mike Marshall lessons? I’ve been having problems finding an instructor in my area and I’m not sure where to turn. My ultimate goal in my playing is to work up to the level of someone like Tim O’Brien. Eventually. I’m not expecting to play like him by the fall, don’t worry.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried the online lessons? Naturally I’d start from the very beginning to make sure I haven’t missed something important.

Thanks all. I know this question has been answered in the past, but the posts are a few years old so I wanted to get some updated responses.
    Proud owner of a Breedlove Premier Series Limited Edition FF!

2. The following members say thank you to CSIMelissa for this post:

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Default Re: Mike Marshall Lessons Worth It?

I had an in-person lesson with him years ago at a festival and found him to be extremely helpful, knowledgeable and a great teacher. Take the plunge and see for yourself. Worst case scenario isn't that bad really. Its really up to you as far as what you get out of it. That said, you won't find anyone better to do it.

4. The following members say thank you to Atlanta Mando Mike for this post:

I was thinking about trying it for a month and then if I like it/find it helpful, then I can go from there if I want.

Another "yes" vote for Mike's on-line lessons at ArtistWorks. Excellent teacher and a very well thought out curriculum.

Robert

Yes.
    Theo Wecker
    www.theowecker.com

Currently waxing poetic about:
    2008 Weber Buffalo
    2016 Collings MT
    2016 Martin D-18

8. The following members say thank you to Theo W. for this post:

I would do individual Skype lessons and supplement with the Mandolessons guy or Banjo Ben if necessary, they both have lots of free stuff out there.

Some of the very best players are available for lessons now, you can do something that suits your schedule and that is geared directly to you since you have a pretty specific goal...heck, maybe even Tim O'Brien gives Skype lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    I would do individual Skype lessons and supplement with the Mandolessons guy or Banjo Ben if necessary, they both have lots of free stuff out there.

Some of the very best players are available for lessons now, you can do something that suits your schedule and that is geared directly to you since you have a pretty specific goal...heck, maybe even Tim O'Brien gives Skype lessons.
    Ha! I met Tim last Friday night and got some advice about a specific issue I was having and I didn't get the impression that he did Skype lessons. I'd be all over that if he did. LOL

I have been doing a few MandoLessons.com videos but am curious about the Marshall lessons because the curriculum seems to be more complete there.

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
    Another "yes" vote for Mike's on-line lessons at ArtistWorks. Excellent teacher and a very well thought out curriculum.

Robert
    Does he/the lessons cover anything about the Nashville Numbering Sytem?

Absolutly!!!! do it!
    TKD Falcon F5

There is no magic behind the Nashville Numbering System, it's pretty simple.

1 is the tonic
    4 is the 4 chord
    5 is the 5 chord

etc.

If the tune is in A, that would be

A
    D
    E

Lessons with Mike would likely be very good.

Hal Leonard puts out a very nicely-written book about the Nashville Number System:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Nashville-...X1HY10N744ZXS6

Honestly, most of this stuff could be covered in two pages, but it has a lot of great anecdotes and some aspects of the system specific to studio work, such as how to handle key changes as well as how to use cool lingo like 'put a diamond on it'.

I think a month of Artistworks would definitely be worth the money if you're disciplined enough to go through the videos, although it's no replacement for looking dumb in front of a good teacher.

15. The following members say thank you to SincereCorgi for this post:

Marshall is absolutely worth it! I use (and donate to) MandoLessons, too, and really like Baron's work. What makes Mike's program so excellent is the feedback that you get from Mike. On top of that, all the feedback he's given everyone is on there an easy to access by song/exercise. I learn truckloads by looking through those videos. I'd say jump for it.
    Collings MT-O Sunburst (2014)
    Kentucky KM630 (early 1990s Korean) w/ K&K Twin Internal
    Vega K-Style Mandolin Banjo (1917)
    Vega N-Style 17-Fret Tenor Banjo (1922)
    Deering Goodtime 2 5-String Banjo w/ Resonator

17. The following members say thank you to Pick&Grin for this post:

I've been a member of Artistworks for a while, and I don't really use it as much as a should.

The lessons are good-- there's a wide range of songs and a pretty solid progression-- I worked up from the basics through about half of the intermeidate lessons. It's not a MASSIVE amount of content, but there are a good number of tunes, lessons on theory (Circle of 5ths, which is the basis of Nashville Number), and a bunch of big bonus tunes. Those that get the most out of it are those that do the video exchanges-- I've done one exchange, but I mean to get back to it now that Matt Flinner's Double Stop online lessons are over (highly recommend those-- he's a great teacher).

The thing about the non-time-based lessons are that there's not that constant push to improve something because you're expected to move on next week, display what you've learned, etc. that you get from a more traditional lesson. That's caused me to be less diligent, and makes me a bit less likely to stay engaged. The curriculum is kind of a static thing-- you'll get feedback on it if you video yourself running through it with personalized responses-- and they're damn good responses-- Mike is great, but if you don't do that, you might, like me, find yourself kind of staring at the same thing for a while.

Some advice: learn everything you can by ear, learn the chords of a song first, be able to sing the melody, find the melody on the mandolin, simplify the melody to just the core notes, fill up the empty spaces with variations (triplets, scales, patterns, slides, syncopation, etc.). When taking a break on a song you don't know and can't figure out the melody in time it comes around to you in the jam circle just focus on hitting chord tones - I like the pentatonic or blues scales. Try to find a group of players that are better than you and play with them. Listen to the music you're trying to play as much as you can.

I tried one month of Mike Marshall online, and didn't find much that I didn't know. The hard part is being able to implement it effectively, which will come with years of practice. I do think it is worth trying for 1 month. Go for it! Have fun...

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Relio For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Relio View Post
    Some advice: learn everything you can by ear, learn the chords of a song first, be able to sing the melody, find the melody on the mandolin, simplify the melody to just the core notes, fill up the empty spaces with variations (triplets, scales, patterns, slides, syncopation, etc.). When taking a break on a song you don't know and can't figure out the melody in time it comes around to you in the jam circle just focus on hitting chord tones - I like the pentatonic or blues scales. Try to find a group of players that are better than you and play with them. Listen to the music you're trying to play as much as you can.
    Beautifully put, and spot on IMO!
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

Definitely a "Yes"
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

I would bet it would be worth it to you. Try a one month membership for like $35 and check it out. You'll get more than your money's worth. Then decide if you want to keep going. There's a whole lot of stuff on there.
    Taylor 414 Fall Limited Rosewood
    Martin Jeff Tweedy 00-DB

I signed up for a year because I got a discount and my experience was exactly like keb's (post 13). But I did get a lot out of it the first month or 2 --so one month's worth of joining is definitely worth it. After that your interest may wain unless you record yourself a lot (which I never did).
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Yes try Mike's school. I did and I got a lot out of it. I'm signing back up this summer now that I have more free time. He's great.

Internet lessons were a thing of the future when I was learning 50 years ago and personal teachers were few and out of my financial reach, so when I reached one of those places where I couldn't get over the hump I had to find a friendly picker to help.I think a Internet teacher that "speaks your language" would be a big help.

Blog Entries

I have not gone with the Mike Marshall lessons, only because of short term time commitment issues. But boy it looks great.

There are a number of good books on The Nashville Numbering System.
    It is one of those things that is not gigantically difficult, but is gigantically powerful. I was introduced to it in a workshop teaching moveable double stops and chord shapes, and just went after it. I found this book to be very helpful.

Its a concept thing, not a muscle memory thing. Which makes it easy or hard depending on what kind of player you are. For me it was a matter of explanation until that ahaaa moment.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

The Artist Works program with Mike Marshall is definitely worth a try. Even if you put in minimal time, you'll learn a lot, and if you post videos and send them to Mike for his feedback, you'll learn even more. Try it for a month and go from there. It's a minimal investment with very good return. Good luck and have fun!

I've got a free lesson on the Nashville number system:

http://youtu.be/j1ghX6ptPh4

It starts our with learning to hear chord changes by ear, but gets into the number system a little before the 5 minute mark.

I hope that helps, and if you are still confused drop me a line. I am always looking for ways to improve my teaching.

Thanks
    Baron

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

Absolutely. He's the best. Three years on that site and still learning. The library is worth it all by itself.
    We few, we happy few.

I really enjoy Mike Marshall's site - you can find something worth thinking about in every video, and it's great to watch him working with other students in the video feedback. Like any kind of lessons, it's all about what you bring to it, but the material and the knowledge and wisdom of Mike is all there for you. You might find more motivation from a live teacher, (and I would definitely recommend doing both if you can), but you also might not. For those of us who are time-challenged but self-motivated, it is a great way to go.

32. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post: