Thread: what shall i go for?

Default what shall i go for?

First of all what does CBOM stand for?

I have played the mandolin for around 2 months now and LOVE it. I practice as much as I can all sorts and anything I can get my hands on. Jigs, Reels, Classical - a mix of everything.

Sometimes I find the instrument too 'tinny' and not enough gusto! So I am looking for something with a richer sound. I like the look and sound of an octave mandolin. I would like to keep the same notation and GDAE tuning. I payed £50 for my StaggM20 mandolin and have a budget of around £200 for the new instrument. What would you recommend? I have no idea and would like to play a range of music: mainly Celtic and Classical. I really like doing fast riffs too though

Thanks

Default Re: what shall i go for?

C = Cittern
    B = Bouzouki
    OM = Octave Mandolin

Number of strings, scale length, and tuning varies wildly in the first two. OMs are typically tuned--wait for it--one octave below a conventional mandolin, with the lower strings sometimes split into octaves (as in a 12-string guitar).

You could also throw mandola and mandocello into that broad category, too, but they are usually tuned in the conventional CGDA (a fifth or an octave and a fifth below and mandolin).

Good luck on your quest for an upgrade.

If you can get yourself anywhere near a few music stores with a selection of relatively inexpensive mandolins, I'd suggest starting there and playing a bunch of them until you find one within your budget that speaks to you more than what you have now. At your price point, I think it's going to be more a matter of luck than of any sure thing that you could just order and expect to meet your hopes and expectations. And keep an eye on your local classified ads, too. A used instrument in that price range will usually buy you more sound for your money, as long as the thing doesn't have any structural or setup problems. If you could up your budget another £100 or so, your options will open up more.

Welcome to the one of the world's most fun obsessions.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

I always thought C=Cittern, B=Bouzouki, O=Octave mandolin, and M=Mandocello.

I was much in the same boat as the OP not that long ago. For me, the answer was a short scale (20 inch) octave mandolin. I saw one in the classifieds for 400 dollars. I really love the tone and a 20 inch scale means enhanced playability over the usual 22-23 inches.

There are a variety of turnings you can employ. GDAE makes the most sense for a mandolinist but the fingering patterns are a bit different. Be prepared for your pinkie to get a workout.

That instrument is very versatile. You can if you wish string it in octaves instead of unisons for a bouzouki sound. But I like unisons.

Your £200 budget is a bit unrealistic I'd say. CBOM instruments are more of a niche, much less common and harder to find than mandolins, which in themselves are niche instruments. So a niche within another niche as it were. You may be able to find a Romanian made instrument like a Hora, Celtic Star, or Ozark used for close to that. A better choice would be a Chinese or Korean made Trinity College. They are about 700 dollars U.S. brand new in the States, not sure about availability in Europe. Good luck!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

4. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

I’d recommend the Octave Mandola; not so much of a finger stretch as the flatback bouzouki, and a lovely deep sound. Keep searching the classifieds and something will turn up, perhaps surprisingly cheaply too.
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

i also like the 20" scale length for a octave mandolin
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Since the OP uses pounds rather than dollars for monetary purposes may we assume he is in the British Isles somewhere?

If so, we should advise him that the term for the instrument we are discussing in Europe is octave mandola. In the U.S. It is an octave mandolin. Two different names same instrument.

Hobgoblin Music carries some entry level models. They have an Ashbury model octave mandola for £249 brand new. 9 in stock at their warehouse. Check out the web site. They have 8 locations all over England. Surely one is nearby. Just call first to make sure there's one in stock. No case included but another £20 gets you a gig bag.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I always thought C=Cittern, B=Bouzouki, O=Octave mandolin, and M=Mandocello.
    Works for me. And I suppose the B could also stand for Blarge.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net