Thread: Info on having a partially finished mandolin made.

Default Info on having a partially finished mandolin made.

Is it reasonable to think that I could get a partially finished custom mandolin that sounds good built for around $1300. Basically I want a f style built with no finish work or hardware. I want to do the staining/color, add inlays in headstock and fretboard, make my own tailpiece and pickguard, and find my own tuners. Basically I want a nice sounding mandolin and I want to make it look how I want it.

Thanks for any input. I thought about getting a Siminoff kit, but am not sure if that is the route I want to go yet.

Thanks

Default Re: Info on having a partially finished mandolin made.

The things you want to do yourself aren't really that time consuming for someone who can do it properly. If you're goal is to save money, you probably won't save much over just letting the builder do it for you. If you just want the experience doing it, go for,the Siminoff kit.

I don't know any builder of any importance who would want someone else to finish their work. And $1300 doesn't come close to paying for an unfinished F model. I wouldn't do an A model for that.

Registered Plec Offender Mickey King's Avatar

Siminoff might be a good option. They offer extra assembly options with their mandolin kits. http://parts.siminoff.net/f5-mandolin-kit-level-1.aspx
    Mickey

Skip Kelley-Kentucky F-5
    Northfield F5S
    Collings MT

You can pay Siminoff to do additional steps. If you buy their kit with all the options, it's close to what you're asking for and is about $1000. You might ask them what they'd charge to get it to the stage you need.

Gary makes a good point about most builders not wanting to turn an unfinished instrument over to someone else to finish. Their reputation is on the line. A poorly finished instrument impacts their reputation in a very negative way.
    Having said that, I remember reading about a builder that sold his instruments in the white, I do not recall his name. He obviously is not one of the "revered" names of luthiery or else everyone would know about it (and he probably would not be a revered name )
    Bill Snyder

International Violin used to sell F style mandolins in the white. That is the term for what you are looking for, in the white means unfinished.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

I can't see the problem as far as the reputation thing is concerned. The OP wants to do his/her own inlay. Just don't put a label in it either.
    I agree $1300 is way too cheap.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

I can see a world of potential problems. The instrument is in the white. This means someone (this is not directed at the OP) could decide to regraduate the top or back, change the shape of the neck, chase a problem that he/she caused until all sorts of cosmetic or structural nightmares are created. If that were to happen, someone down the road asks where the instrument came from, and well, I'm sure you get the idea. Putting inlay into a fingerboard that is already fretted can be problematic for someone new to the task. Putting inlay into a headstock that has a fingerboard and nut already on the neck is also problematic. Or can be.

And finishing is a world in itself, to be done right. Even some great builders sub out their finishing.

And yes, $1300 for an F5 in the white for a quality instrument is not realistic.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dale Ludewig For This Useful Post:

Finishing (and playing/hearing) a project, especially as monumental as an F model, is the most exciting part. To make something almost to completion is NOT why I do this. I can't imagine anyone NOT wanting to hear their creation. For me, that is the main reason I could never sell an instrument after all the hard work is done, but before the exciting part is revealed.

The instrument could be set up in the white by the maker, and would nearly have to be. I dont know of a maker whose going to send something out that hasnt been tested for tone quality (yes I know it will change some after varnish). I believe an "in the white" mandolin would be the way to go here. International Violin still sells them. If I were building professionally, I would not have a problem with this, but I think I would be that exception to the rule.

Edit: it does not appear IVC has the mandolins in the white any longer. I thought I saw them on their site just a couple days ago, but I thought Id check just to be sure, and cannot find them. Might call them if your interested, they dont have what id call a state of the art website, but they are very helpful over the phone.

I think the OP must be under the impression that all the things he listed must be the more expensive process. So, try to get a quality mandolin without the "expensive" items done...

May be. Not very clear as to weather having it just the way he wants is the issue, or price, as both are mentioned in the post.
    So how much does a custom built f5 run? Ive always been in the violin world, but the mandolin world is looking better and better if $1300 is cheap for an unfinished one. I know it can be cheap for a violin, but its so hard to become a revered maker of violins, let alone even be noticed. Ive also noticed how mando players are more accepting of different styles, and less "stuck to tradition" than violin players. I like that. I really want to build a mandolin now. And Ill sell my first F5 build for $1300, finished! lol

JDeMoss, you could get a good kit and complete it yourself. As mentioned, Roger Siminoff offers a wide array of possibilities, and the StewMac kits are very good.

For what it's worth:
    Mr Arnold Cross builds beautiful and wonderful sounding mandolins. I don't know if he would send you one unfinished but it's worth a shot. His sell in the Nashville stores for $2000 and up. He is a local builder and not known much outside of TN. He is in Smyrna Tn and I live close so I went and spent a day with him in his shop. He showed me his entire process and mandolins. I felt like I was stealing mine for the price I paid directly from him as compared to the quality and compared to the mandolins I have been checking out at the stores in and around Nashville for a couple years. I have played his mandolins with other top names (like Weber, Collings, Summit, Northfield, etc) at stores like Gruhns and they definitely hold their own with others and quality as well is on par. Being able to play many different brands in this area at varying price ranges helped me to decide on one of Mr Cross' mandos. I was fully willing to spend more money on another one before I found his.
    Yes, I do own a Cross mandolin. No, I have nothing to gain by recommending him. I have simply been very impressed by his mandolins and him as a person and craftsman. I have owned mine for about 7 months now.

Needless to say I very highly recommend him. I know there are many great builders to choose from but that's my 2 cents.

Contact info:
    Arnold Cross
    (615) 459-5170

I am not a builder but if I were I would avoid this project. A builder needs to maintain control over his output from start to finish. So that he or she controls appearance and tone and each product will enhance his reputation. In this case the builder is asked to build 70% of an instrument and then give up control. If finished poorly the builder will be blamed if finished well the owner will get the credit.

This sounds too much like factory work and not fine craftsmanship.

18. The following members say thank you to bart mcneil for this post:

The F5 Siminoff can be assembled and tap-tuned for about 1500. That is, if I had my options set correctly on the website the other night. This would give you an instrument to finish with their completion kit (frets, machines, and such). I am thinking of calling them to talk me through the process, but I imagine I cant be too far off in price, the website is rather informative.

Here's one in the white from England Mandolin Kit from Custom Inlay Inc.

http://shop.custominlay.com/England-...t-3-415KIT.htm
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Just thought I would finally update what I ended up doing.

I found Lefty Luthier (Byron Spain) and had him make me a mandolin in the "white". I then did my own finish work. Having it custom done like this allowed me to get it exactly how I wanted it, which is really nice.

I went with an A style head with an F style body. Birds Eye maple back and Carpathian Spruce top. Finished it with a blue/green sunburst style, without getting too "glossy" on the finish. I made a little glass piece and inlayed it in the head. I had a pick-up installed as well.

I could not be happier with this instrument. I have no idea how I could have a mandolin of this quality for the price that I paid by doing it any other way. It sounds better than any mandolin I've ever had. I let my impatience get the better of me when finishing the instrument, so it's not perfect. But I've never really liked the "perfect" look anyways. I feel like they should look like they're part of the family But I feel like I did a pretty good job anyways, considering it was my first attempt at finishing one. I still need to make a new bridge and adjust the string spacing a little, but that's about it.

Long story short, I'm glad I was able to get Byron to make me an unfinished instrument that I could put my finishing touches on. Maybe some people wouldn't like to go this route, but for the type of player I am, this was perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin1.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	138998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin2.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	138999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin4.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	139000  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin3.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	139001