Thread: Gibson case questions

MandoNewbie Misty Stanley-Jones's Avatar

Default Gibson case questions

I'm still getting to know my new mando and it's case, and I have some questions about the case. It's a huge rectangular case, branded Gibson, but I guess the F5* cases are different from the Master Model cases and I could only find photos online of the Master Model ones and they look different. Not sure if this is the stock Gibson case or not.

Anyway a couple questions : first, the lid won't stay open on its own. Is there a fix / hack for this? I don't want it falling and hitting the mandolin inadvertently.

Second, there is a fitted compartment for the body but not for the headstock, and there is also no lace or Velcro strap for the neck. The back of the neck is supported by a cushion though. Is this good enough? There is a blanket for the whole instrument but it's hard for me to figure out if the top of the case is either pressing on the strings / bridge or if there is slop and the mandolin could move around in there. I don't want to shake it and listen.

Third, the case is just huge! Does anyone actually use this case or do you guys use smaller or more fitted ones?
    --
    Playing since August 2013
    2014 Gibson Goldrush (David Harvey's photos)
    Greg Dunn A5 #1 (RayDoris)

Default Re: Gibson case questions

while only a guess, it sounds as though you have the standard TKL case, which I also have for my fern.

all the things you mention, other than the lid falling, are OK and normal.

I use a couple of cloth baby diapers. One under the upper back (toward the heel) to raise the mando slightly and lessen the pressure on the neck joint. The other I use between the strings and the shroud, to make a slightly tighter fit on neck support.

Simply, your mando should not shift a bit in the case for the best protection against damage from a knock. Make sure the headstock is clear of anything, and that it wont bang into anything if the mando gets knocked in the case. That's why there is such a large area I think.

as for keeping the lid open, I don't have this issue. I can only suggest that you try to gently bend the case lid back to see if you can get the hardware to bend slightly and allow the lid to lift backwards slightly to stay open. With time, it may simply loosen up from use and bend back naturally, as do many cases with frequent use.

Anything else, like some sort of metal arm, as used on a briefcase, would be beyond me, and a real PITA to install and have potential issues with the mando itself (rivets, inadvertent bending in the case etc. Another half baked idea which comes to me is to slightly prop the underside of the case, near to the handle, so the case is tilted back and you have gravity helping you-you could stash a bit of foam rubber, a paperback book, etc in the case and dig it out when you first open the case. If it were mine, id simply push it back gently and firmly, to try to get it to the right place to stay open. If this offends your sensibilities, you could, also, leave the case open, up side down, and over time, perhaps the lid will loosen and 'widen' a bit. I understand you are in Oz, and that alternative cases easily available here in the US may be difficult to obtain and very pricey as well.
    SO long as you don't hear the wood "cracking" when you push back, youre ok-ie easy does it. those new hinges are still and dead straight. over time they loosen and bend a bit. You can gently expedite things.

fwiw, I bought a guardian case, slightly smaller rectangle, decent support (actually quite snug) somewhat similar the MM in terms of compartments, and adequate room for nick nacks and a few sheets of music. I prefer this case to the TKL, due to features and size and handle. They aren't too pricey. The lid stays open. (Bbut so does my TKL).

Finally, I have a Travelite, which is very light, has back pack straps, and stays open, but has a potentially nasty 'tooth' in the lid which fits into the lower metal latch-a diasater if it hits the mando freefall....but I like this case too-they are cheap, and, the tooth, which is mounted in stiff foam, can be ripped out with a pair of pliers I have read. The case has a zipper around the lid which makes the metal latch redundant.

3. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    Finally, I have a Travelite, which is very light, has back pack straps, and stays open, but has a potentially nasty 'tooth' in the lid which fits into the lower metal latch-a diasater if it hits the mando freefall....but I like this case too-they are cheap, and, the tooth, which is mounted in stiff foam, can be ripped out with a pair of pliers I have read. The case has a zipper around the lid which makes the metal latch redundant.
    The first thing I did with my Travelite is rip out the 'metal tooth' locking device. It is totally worthless and it can damage an instrument. Other than that it is a great case.

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Misty,

I have my Gibson in a Hiscox Liteflight II Pro case. These offer exceptional protection from both a structural and temperature standpoint. It's not a Calton or Pegasus, but it cost about 1/3 of those cases. Gibson does not spend any $ on the cases they ship the instrument in, i.e., they are standard TKL models.

I also use a Travelite and they are great cases as well. They don't offer the crush protection of a hard case, but they are probably one of the best for absorbing jolts, as the foam construction dramatically reduces the acceleration forces felt by the mandolin.

You've spent the money on the Goldrush, I'd put it in a Hiscox case to protect your investment!
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

6. The following members say thank you to tburcham for this post:

Blog Entries

Misty,

The stock (supplied) Gibson F-5 cases are indeed these rather heavy, bulky re-branded TKL's. They are quite a strong case, multi-ply, with a gently arched top - but leave something to be desired in other regards. The full spec of the case is here - so is the list price ($329!) and 'street' on them is still just over $200 at most places. They are not exactly a cheap case by any means. They are great for storing instruments in at home, but they are not very serviceable due to the weight, bulk and tendency of the covering to wear and tear (literally) quite rapidly. The Hiscox is a much harder wearing case with a lot more protection. They are still rather bulky, but quite light to carry around. There are various fiberglass cases around, Guardian, Eastman and Bobelock 'Arrow', for example that are quite compact and light, but they are not as protective as the Hiscox. To get the same high level of protection you have to start looking at the Calton, Pegasus and Hoffee ranges - with attendant high price tags. My current favorite 'cheap' case that still offers very good protection in a compact, light form is the 'Gator' ABS:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gatorcase.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	120555

Name:	gatorcase_2.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	120553

Name:	gatorcase_3.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	120554

For the money (around $70) these are hard to beat in the value stakes.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Misty - It does sound as though the 'Gibson' case is,as Almeria says,a re-branded TKL.The TKL's are a very good case (IMHO) although a bit 'weighty'. I put a couple of ordinary yellow dusters folded up together under the mando.headstock.That's enough to cushion it. As soon as i find some Polystyrene 'chippings' (used for packing fragile tems),i'll fill a cotton bag with them & make a better 'shock absorber'.
    For 'playing out',i still use my Travelite case,which is the lightest case around that still offers really good protection.They're far tougher than they look & being 'sort of' soft,absorb shock much better than really 'hard', rigid cases.
    Our globe trotting fellow Cafe member from Australia,Peter Jenner,had his Hiscox case dropped from an aircraft baggage bay. It landed on the corner & the corner shattered,leaving a hole in the case. A Travelite is strong enough to withstand such a drop because of the cushioning effect of it's construction. I will say that Peter's Hiscox falling on it's most rigid part,the corner,was unfortunate.The Hiscox cases are very good in all respects,other than being a bit more bulky than even the TKL rect.cases,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Thanks for the info, everyone. It is definitely the TKL case. I will start saving the funds and researching other cases to purchase when I am back in the US in August. I do own a more fitted flight case branded Siminoff, which came with my other mandolin. It's only slightly lighter than the TKL!

When I'm home I have my mandolin on a Hercules stand (with the locking arms). I know this is also controversial but I'm comfortable with it. The case issue is only for being out of the house. For now I will just use the Siminoff one.
    --

you might consider getting a couple-I am pleased with the guardian (I think elderly carries these as does Cumberland Accoustics -where I got mine)

cant vouch for how bomb proof it is-especially compared to many others, but it is the one I tote my best mandos to and from gigs and jams-just that little bit smaller makes it more 'nimble'-but I can put a few things in it easily-

one thing about square cases, I think, is that to the non musical masses, no one is likely to know what type of instrument is inside-not sure how relevant this is now that I think about it...LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Stanley-Jones View Post

Anyway a couple questions : first, the lid won't stay open on its own. Is there a fix / hack for this? I don't want it falling and hitting the mandolin inadvertently.
    The lid on my Gibson case won't stay open either. I even tried forcing it to open even farther, to the point I was hearing something tear and ready to break. It still won't stay open. A few months after I got my mandolin is when I ordered a Hoffee.

I wish Gibson would partner with the big three high end case makers, Hoffee, Calton and Pegasus to give people an option for a better case from the start. I don't know what to do with my Gibson case. I don't want to get rid of it because it's original equipment for my mandolin and it's best to keep everything. It will just take up space in the closet forever.

The Gibson case itself is perfectly fine for your mandolin. It may be bulky and the lid closes on its own, but it supports the body and neck without issue. When it's laying flat, the back of the mandolin and the neck are supported evenly. I just doesn't have whiplash protection on the headstock like other cases have.
    2012 Gibson F5 Custom Goldrush (Harvey)
    2014 Rover RM-75 F
    bowlback mandolin (1890's to 1900 era)

12. The following members say thank you to Clef for this post:

You Need the brass Gibson Badge on it ? or just that it fits your mandolin?

The ribbon that keeps the top from opening all the way, wears out after a few Decades of opening ..
    It's not there on the 1922 OHSC..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I definitely don't need a gibson badge on the case and didn't mean to imply that I did.
    --

had one in the past it held my EM150. from the beginning..

in 'will it fit' questions ,

mechanics & carpenters usually want to have some measurement numbers to work with ..

odd that they are not often stated here..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    My current favorite 'cheap' case that still offers very good protection in a compact, light form is the 'Gator' ABS:

Name:	gatorcase.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	120555
    Hey Almeriastrings!

Name:	gatorcase_2.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	120553

Name:	gatorcase_3.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	120554

For the money (around $70) these are hard to beat in the value stakes.
    Hey Almeriastrings, my friend is looking into such case but someone mentioned that they are somewhat flexible and the lid doesn't always line up with bottom. (that was on banjo case). How well made is the mandolin Gator case in this respect?
    Thanks.
    Adrian

Blog Entries

Hi Adrian,

I agree on the banjo case. Not impressed and they seem quite weak by comparison to the mandolin version.

I have had three of the mandolin cases, though, and they all aligned perfectly. Also very little flex anywhere. A small amount if you REALLY press the top hard, but not a lot, and there is substantial padding on the inside. Next best ABS case up is the Hiscox, in my opinion, but costs quite a bit more and is a lot bulkier. I think these are great value.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Adrian Minarovic

Thanks Almeria!
    Adrian

Having read Almeria's post re.the Gator case,& having failed to be able to buy another Travelite in the UK,i just bought a Gator ABS cas & it's perfect for my Weber. The top & bottom line up perfectly.The internal pad on the case lid at the tailpiece position, makes the lid stand off a bit when closing it,but it'll squash down in time. Other than that, i can't fault it as a case - i'm well pleased.I was also pleased at the cost £59.99 UK + £5.99 for next day delivery = 82.5 Euros. I bought mine from 'Gear4music' in the UK
    http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and...FQEUwwod5JIAjQ,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Thanks Ivan! I will be in the US again at the end of August and plan to acquire one of these cases while I am there, as well as a Tone Guard and possibly a bluechip pick. Might as well!
    --

Blog Entries

Misty,

Those cases are distributed in Australia, but are somewhat more expensive than they are in the US (or Europe, for that matter) though you might find cheaper by shopping around.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gator-Del...item3cde8d068b

http://www.giggear.com.au/Gator-Delu...olin-Case.html

US 'street' price seems to be around $90 US / $90 AUS.

I have quite a few different cases, inc. Eastman FG, Superior FG on up to Pegasus and Calton - and I'd rate the 'protection value' of these Gators quite a bit higher than the Eastman or Superior models. It would take a pretty serious incident indeed to harm a mandolin in one of these.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

22. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

It's worth mentioning that the Gator case is available in both "hard shell" and "soft shell" versions.

The soft version can be seen here:
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--GATGLMANDO
    Instead of the ABS outer shell, it has [what looks to be] fabric that closes with a zipper, similar to the Travelite.

The case interior liner and shape seems to be identical on both models.

I have one of the hardshell Gator cases and it's been fine for around-the-house usage. The one proviso on the ABS cases is "don't leave them in the sun". They can warp from too much exposure. But if you can "live around" that, they're a very nice case for the money spent...

Thanks again everyone, I ended up ordering the Travelite case and it's on its way. I'm currently visiting the US. Also placed an order for those elusive Primetone picks from Dunlop, and a Blue Chip CT55 too. Might as well make the US trips count!
    --

Why not call Paul Duff in WA and find the address of Presto cases that are built in Perth. I'd say that they are a notch below the Peg or Calton but better than the rest.
    I just found the link http://www.prestocases.com.au
    Keep the money at home in Australia.

Ive got an extra Presto Case sitting around empty .. over here ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I wanted a very light but reasonably protective case. I have the very heavyweight TKL case for situations that need it. I've already received the Travelite case and it's just what I wanted. Thanks again for all the feedback if I need to revisit it again.
    --