Thread: Almuse soundhole pickup for bouzouki

Default Almuse soundhole pickup for bouzouki

Just wanted to give another shout out to Pete Mallinson of Almuse Pickups. I had him make a custom soundhole pickup for my Herb Taylor bouzouki and I recd it yesterday.

Finished the installation today (required a second output jack as I already have a B-Band AST in it). It fit perfectly and went in without a hitch. I soldered it to the output jack today and got to try it out. After making slight adjustments to the pole pieces for the two bass courses it is perfectly balanced and the sound is really first class.

I was not surprised as I have a Phantom Electric Bouzouki that Pete made and it has his handwound pickups, so I knew the quality of his work, but I wasn't quite prepared for just how great this thing sounds.

Highly recommended if you are looking for a magnetic pickup for bouzouki.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010148.jpg 
Views:	1933 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	117550

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zoukboy For This Useful Post:

Registered User Terry Allan Hall's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Almuse soundhole pickup for bouzouki

Very cool!

Default Re: Almuse soundhole pickup for bouzouki

I need a better pickup for my OM.
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Blog Entries

Really elegant.

I feel that a magnetic pickup in the right place can be very resonant, musical, and expressive, without the sterile sound of a piezo in the bridge or the cranky body resonances and feedback of contact pickups. I note Dagger Gordon has one on his 10-string. It is easy to arrange when you have a round soundhole, and the location is useful.

If you haven't tried this, you should build an outboard volume/tone control box, with passive pots duplicating the typical electric-guitar system. The tone result is really sweet, without the jangly harshness of the wide-open tone, not to mention the freedom to use adjustment as needed in performance. I find a magnetic into a K&K preamp not nearly as pleasing as through the passive volume/tone controls.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Any damage to the instrument? I really need one but don’t want to fit it permanently, and don’t want to mark the wood around the sound hole. Do they come in different sizes? My Fylde is 2.5 inches but the Sobell is 4 inches, plus it’s oval…. (the one in my avatar)
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    Really elegant.

I feel that a magnetic pickup in the right place can be very resonant, musical, and expressive, without the sterile sound of a piezo in the bridge or the cranky body resonances and feedback of contact pickups. I note Dagger Gordon has one on his 10-string. It is easy to arrange when you have a round soundhole, and the location is useful.

If you haven't tried this, you should build an outboard volume/tone control box, with passive pots duplicating the typical electric-guitar system. The tone result is really sweet, without the jangly harshness of the wide-open tone, not to mention the freedom to use adjustment as needed in performance. I find a magnetic into a K&K preamp not nearly as pleasing as through the passive volume/tone controls.
    Tom,

I hear you but I think that might be more of a necessity for going into a direct box and sound system rather than the way I intend to use, which is into an amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Footerin'About View Post
    Any damage to the instrument? I really need one but don’t want to fit it permanently, and don’t want to mark the wood around the sound hole. Do they come in different sizes? My Fylde is 2.5 inches but the Sobell is 4 inches, plus it’s oval…. (the one in my avatar)
    None. It is custom-sized to the soundhole and string height and both the upper pickup "wings" on the top and the threaded cleats below are really well padded. Installation was a cinch. The hardest part was soldering the connections and attaching the endpin jack. I used one of these: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Chrome-G...ars_p_157.html

I already have a B-Band AST soundboard transducer and A1.2 preamp installed and blending the two sounds really good.