Thread: free jam track recommendations?

Default free jam track recommendations?

Wonder if someone could suggest a free site for downloading simple jam tracks to be used practicing mandolin or fiddle? I'd be interested in Irish, country, and bluegrass. I looked at Band in a Box and -- like most audio software -- the possibilities and the computer-tekky aspects of it scared me away faster than the price did! Thanks for any suggestions.

Default Re: free jam track recommendations?

I use the midi files on ABC notation. The music is easy to print out. With the windows 7 media player, you can control the play back speed, and play along to learn hundreds of tunes. Just type in the name of the tune, and choose between the versions to find the one you prefer.

I use this site. http://flatpickapprentice.blogspot.com

There are many bluegrass and old-time standards with a rhythm guitar backing track and a choice of tempo.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chris W. For This Useful Post:

Don't be scared by Band-in-a-Box -- yes, it's a very robust program with lots of capabilities, but at its core it still works just as it did way back in the Atari and MS-DOS days, long before Windows. You enter the chords in a simple spreadsheet, you select the style, click Play and you get instant and usually very good jam tracks. And the next time you click Play you get slightly different backing tracks, making for nice variety instead of always knowing just what the backing tracks will sound like at any given time.

And there are some freely downloadable Band-in-a-Box bluegrass/old-time files you can find on the net.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

For your fiddle tunes [URL="http://www.oldtimejam.com/Jam.html"] R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

7. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

garded

Quote Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
    Don't be scared by Band-in-a-Box -- yes, it's a very robust program with lots of capabilities, but at its core it still works just as it did way back in the Atari and MS-DOS days, long before Windows. You enter the chords in a simple spreadsheet, you select the style, click Play and you get instant and usually very good jam tracks. And the next time you click Play you get slightly different backing tracks, making for nice variety instead of always knowing just what the backing tracks will sound like at any given time.

And there are some freely downloadable Band-in-a-Box bluegrass/old-time files you can find on the net.
    I agree totally. And with the new Real Trax it's like really playing along with at band because they have midi'd real instruments to play rhythm. It is a deep program but really worth every penny. Sometimes I wish there was a social group here on the Cafe devoted to making new tracks and tips for BIAB. I have heard some flat out amazing stuff done with this program. And I'm hoping to get it to where the rest of my bands use it too so we can intro songs to each other before live practice and so we can work on stuff on our own. It's way handy to have the chords right there in front of you and wonderful practice to write out progressions.

I used band in a box rhythm tracks for a while, but stopped as it was too much hassle moving around the ENORMOUS real tracks sample files every time I switched computers. For me, what I found to be easiest is just to record my own tracks using Reaper, which is anywhere from free to $60. I use a free demo of addictive drums if I need percussion and otherwise just record a bass and or guitar track, loop it, done. Quick, easy, fun.

Ireal pro is a lot simpler than band-in-a-box (and a LOT cheaper) but it's midi and doesn't sound as good. In any event, its an alternative (if you have a mac or a smartphone) and you can write your own chord charts and download tons of fiddle tunes. I can be pretty geeky but I think band-in-a-box is way too bloated. If it had the user interface of ireal pro or if ireal pro had the sampled instruments, it would be gold. Flatpick apprentice mentioned above is about the best beyond that as far as I've found without spending much money.

Many thanks for these replies. Too busy right now to sort through them, but they all look like good suggestions. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RickPick View Post
    Wonder if someone could suggest a free site for downloading simple jam tracks to be used practicing mandolin or fiddle? I'd be interested in Irish, country, and bluegrass. I looked at Band in a Box and -- like most audio software -- the possibilities and the computer-tekky aspects of it scared me away faster than the price did! Thanks for any suggestions.
    Check out Old Time Jam Machine.
    You can select backup instruments. Now works on iPhones and iPad.