Thread: Greetings from a n00b

Default Greetings from a n00b

Hi, y'all. Just thought I'd post an intro here, as briefly as possible.

I picked up a 'serious' instrument--clarinet--for the first time at age 11, after having spent some 7 years in choir. It turned out that I had a knack for music, with good odds of getting a tune out of almost anything that would make a noise, so several other single-reed instruments were next, followed by guitar, bass, and a bunch of other things.

For the past couple of years my preferred instruments have been violin and mandolin in roughly equal amounts, followed closely by viola. I see no reason to deviate significantly from those preferences, though I'll probably pick up mandola too as soon as it's feasible.

So far I have two mandolins: A Flatiron 1N from the mid-1980s and a Gold Tone GM55A made (probably) in 2012. Those represent my preferred mando body styles.

My musical tastes are quite broad, in that I'll attempt pretty much anything with a discernible melody. My originals and improvisational style fall somewhere around the intersection of country, Celtic, and jazz. I probably don't have the attention span for serious pursuit of heavy classical--and arguably don't have the chops right now either--although I'd love to take a shot at baroque and/or neo-baroque. Someday I might even try composing quasi-neo-baroque for 'folk' instruments. Hammered dulcimer, viola, mandolin and pennywhistle (or recorder, or flute ...) make for a nice ensemble, to my ears anyway.

Currently I live on Andros Island in the Bahamas. My digs are fairly isolated even by the distinctly backwater standards of the Bahamian Out Islands--'scuse me, 'Family Islands'--but at least there's enough internet access to manage text. When I get a better 'net connection sorted out, uploading audio and video should be feasible.

This forum is really impressive; folks here clearly know a lot, about a lot, and seem quite friendly into the bargain. I hope to be able to contribute constructively.

Chias,
    John

Default Re: Greetings from a n00b

guess its better than Wisconsin in this part of the year ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I'd say the Bahama's are better than my part of the world most of the year. Welcome John.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Hi John and welcome to this wild, wacky world. You are correct about the expertise found on this site. Have fun.