Thread: Interesting 1950 F-5

Default Interesting 1950 F-5

This instrument has some interesting lines and features. I can't help but think this might be a floor sweep deal from some older stuff. The peghead lines are beautiful. The body lines are nice. Note that it is not triple bound.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/gibson-F-5-m...7#ht_63wt_1083
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	114910   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57a.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	114909  
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Default Re: Interesting 1950 F-5

I got lucky and guessed what the back wood was gonna look like...
    Gibson loved this Silver (?) maple during this period...
    Cool looking mando...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57-3.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	114911  

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

It's painful looking at those string ends.
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

4. The following members say thank you to Andrew B. Carlson for this post:

Blog Entries

I agree Darryl. Looks pretty nice and could be a left over parte mando! The peghead is triple bound? but the body is single like the F-7's? That's strange because the neck looks single bound also. I need to check the ebay pix out to see what other pix they have. Neat.
    Last edited by William Smith; Feb-27-2014 at 12:25am. Reason: bad spelling

Not triple bound....now, that's weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B. Carlson View Post
    It's painful looking at those string ends.
    Thomastik Starks... interesting choice. BTW, is that an expected price range for a 50's F5?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Thomastik Starks... interesting choice. BTW, is that an expected price range for a 50's F5?
    Yeah those are some expensive strings! I think the price of a 1950's F-5 would be in the $4 - 5K range tops but this one does not seem typical. If that mandolin looks like is sounds it is a monster.

The earlier conversation went to the possibility that this headstock was left over from an earlier era. That would be plausible actually wouldn't it because didn't F-5 production start up again after WWII in 1950?

So if there were parts left around to use that might be when they got used up?

But how did it get the block "Gibson" lettering inlay instead of the Old English script?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Single bound body on the early postwar F5s is typical. The 3 pc. neck is not. They usually had the mahagony necks. The very early ones had the smaller pegheads. But what I see wrong is the finish color. Never saw this color on any 50's. The darker tobacco sunburst was typical for the f5 and F12. I suspect a factory refinish in mid to late 60's. Tailpiece not right either nor is the bridge. They only made 4 in 1950 so pretty rare to see one.

Smile Re: Interesting 1950 F-5

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Wolfe View Post
    This instrument has some interesting lines and features. I can't help but think this might be a floor sweep deal from some older stuff. The peghead lines are beautiful. The body lines are nice. Note that it is not triple bound.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/gibson-F-5-m...7#ht_63wt_1083
    I Like this Mandolin! It's the same year model as ME!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Single bound body on the early postwar F5s is typical. The 3 pc. neck is not. They usually had the mahagony necks. The very early ones had the smaller pegheads. But what I see wrong is the finish color. Never saw this color on any 50's. The darker tobacco sunburst was typical for the f5 and F12. I suspect a factory refinish in mid to late 60's. Tailpiece not right either nor is the bridge. They only made 4 in 1950 so pretty rare to see one.
    Also the 1950's F-5's all had the fret board extension laying on the top board like an F-4? This one is clearly elevated?

Was 1949 the start up year after WWII or 1950? But the fact that there might be a pre-war headstock & heck around in 1950 seems pretty reasonable?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

That would be the F12 that had the fretboard glued to the top. The F5 was raised. Maybe not as much as a Loar era but it was raised enough. Talked to the seller today and he has no clue if it was refinished or not. He did find the extra screw hole at the TP end indicating it did come with the typical 50's cloud TP and was replaced later with this nickel TP. Also admits the bridge might not be right either. FON indicates it was the 2nd one in the batch of 4 made in 1950. I am having my doubts about the truss rod cover being original to 1950 also.

What years did Gibson use that logo on the headstocks? I was looking at that 50's f-12 on ebay and it had the same one. Does the script have a name?

In my ignorance I thought the script in the pic was reserved for guitars...
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 9lbShellhamer View Post
    What years did Gibson use that logo on the headstocks? I was looking at that 50's f-12 on ebay and it had the same one. Does the script have a name?

In my ignorance I thought the script in the pic was reserved for guitars...

I call it the "block" Gibson script and it was on almost everything they made, including mandolins, from about 1946 or '47 until the late 1960's -- the early 1970's mandolins went back to the Old English cursive script of the early 1900's -- many of the guitars are still block script I guess.
    Bernie
    ____

15. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post: