Thread: Sognando

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Sognando

aka "Dreaming" the waltz by Quartetto Amoroso, from their Musica Incantata disc.

Okay, I admit that I think it is a fairly bloodless CD but I was listening to it walking home from work this evening. (It seems each autumn I do return to my bowl backs.)

I am missing the CD case from my copy and can't even locate the composer, let alone a musical score. The name is a bit too common, perhaps. It is a pretty dance piece though.

Thanks for any help.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Default Re: Sognando

Mick, I have the CD, too, but I cannot locate it. However, on this site http://www.paulbinkley.com/incantata/index.htm, the composer is listed as L. Canora, year 1914. IMSLP is down for maintenance at the moment. Perhaps the sheet music would be there.
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)

Thanks Harper. Luigi Canora. That's helpful to know. He has written a lot of great music, including Tra Veglia e Sonno, one of my favorites. Now to hunt down the sheet music (and maybe my copy of the disc as well.)

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

I have another Canora piece "Sogno d'una Vergine" attributed to "Prof. L. Canoro" but that would be a different tune altogether. I might have it unscanned but it would take me some time to find it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks, Jim. If you have the time to have a look I'd appreciate it. No hurry by any means. Just sort of rediscovered the song, myself.

Each time I post one of these requests I'm reminded how lame I am about learning tunes by ear and how beneficial it is to bear down and do it. I didn't really learn to sight read well until about ten years ago. It certainly opened many musical doors for me, but it also helped reinforce a bit of a lazy streak....

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

You're better off than me I'm going to buckle down and try to learn more tunes by ear, hopefully.
    Good luck in finding the track. Are there any links on youtube of the track you're looking for? Rather curious what it sounds like.

Mick: I have made an inquiry and hopefully it will bear fruit -- it is a lot easier to do that than to dig thru my piles of sheet music. Ah, yet another chore to do in my dotage.

I will keep you posted.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlindBard View Post
    You're better off than me I'm going to buckle down and try to learn more tunes by ear, hopefully.
    Good luck in finding the track. Are there any links on youtube of the track you're looking for? Rather curious what it sounds like.
    I haven't found a YouTube version, BB, but you can hear a snippet of it at the Amazon DL site for the individual tune from the Musica Incatata disc.

http://www.amazon.com/Sognando/dp/B000QWG6J6

Thanks, Jim, for the effort. I appreciate it. Let's hope something turns up.

I should check into a new copy of Sheri's MM book. My spiral bound copy has been well worn. I know she has updated the original with some additional music.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Check your email, Mick.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Awesome, Jim. Mille grazie. (And to PB as well.....)

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road