Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Time Tunings

To Benignus:
    I sincerely hope you continue to be involved with Old Time music. This past December our local OT patriarchs held their annual, (and my first), Christmas open house. At the gathering in their beautiful old home were at least 20 friendly and supportive musicians of all ages, along with their families. Besides all the good music, food and fellowship non musicians were gathered around the hearth reading, telling stories, knitting, quilting and sharing in what our friends call the "pioneer" skills. Except for the electric lamps, one would have thought they had taken a step back in time. To me this embodied the true spirit of old time music and how it was originally experienced.
    Best wishes,
    Bob Smith

Bob,
    And to think, all I really asked about was how best to tune up for Old-Time?

There's an event each year up in our Gold Rush country called Tiny Town. Some friends go each year, and spend a week living true Gold Rush style, sharing the history and culture, telling stories, etc. They've suggested to me that I should come along, that I would really enjoy it. I'm sure I would, but this year Starberry Festivus is what it's all about.

Last fall that was my first proper festival - Strawberry here in CA. I was very excited about the enjoying merger of two passions, camping and music. What fun! Plus, I met a bunch of Cafe folk, all of top notch character. I can't wait to go back come spring.

Now, I figured the fest would be all about jamming and meeting other players, and that was indeed my focus. But one act in particular really captured my attention. They were The Reeltime Travellers. They inpsired me with both their music, and their sincere love of Old-Time. I got to see them three times that weekend - every performance they played! They opened my ears to the big differences in approach, and even outlook between BG and OT. At that point I more or less knew where I stood, but wasn't sure where to go ... Bristol TN, maybe?

So, I'm 'in' so to speak. I just need to keep myself immersed, and keep playing the music.

Also, knowing that you guys are hanging out in this room, I'm going to ask a lot more questions about the style, as there is still a lot I'm hazy about.

Hey ... Did you guys know that St. Benignus was a really old irish musician? He was St. Patrick's choir director. Seems now might be the time to mention it, FWIW.

- Mike

I retune my mandolin to from GDAE to DDAE sometimes when my band is playing a three-song set of Washington's March, Bonaparte's Retreat, and we do Bill Monroe's Scotland in this key with this tuning. Scotland is very cool in D, the Ancient Tones are very present. It's that low D drone string.

It's a trick to retune though. It probably takes 3 to 4 tunings before the neck stops moving around and everything is right. I have the same problem tuning for "Get Up John."

Gee, I never did talk about tunings.

I have enough trouble keeping my mando in standard tuning. I'm nowhere ready to think of alternates.
    Gary Blanchard
    Original Acoustic and Electric Music
    http://www.irismusica.net

Jim: Could very well happen, I like that tune (or those tunes!) a lot. I now have about 4 settings, and was messing with it on the resonator the other night! Drop D on a National sounds pretty cool too!

This is a cool thread, glad I found it. I like using DDAD, GDGD, AEAE, and AEAC#.. the last one is the "Black Mountain Rag" tuning also great for "The Hanged Man's Reel". A lot of these intervals occur on bouzoukis, which is kind of how I got in to them to start with. I've always loved the droney style you get in DDAD fiddle, such a wonderful big dark sound.

Scotland is a killer tune, my favorite Monroe tune. I have the Sam Bush fiddle cut (EmmyLou- Live at the Ryman), a couple others. Anyone know a really good mandolin version out there? I've been working on that tune for years trying to get it right, it's a great study- full of subtleties and swing and "gear changes" (to quote Darryl Wolfe!)
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

BTW, I suppose loosely related to the original post, if anyone has found a good way to tune a mandolin in 4ths without too much sloppiness or tension on the strings, clue me in.