Thread: So what are players of electric mandos looking for?

Default So what are players of electric mandos looking for?

So what are players of electric mandos looking for? Are you looking for an easy way to play a mandolin amplified or looking for an instrument that is quite different from an acoustic mandolin?
    Cheers Gary

Default Re: So what are players of electric mandos looking for?

I'm looking for a completely different sound - a whole new tone palette. I prefer my electrics to be single course, solid body or semi-solid with tone chambers.

There will be others who desire an electric mandolin that sounds acoustic in tone, and is easily amplifiable; double courses would seem to be obligatory for those with this preference. If I want to sound acoustic, then I'll play my acoustics.

Btw. I've been following your blogs for a year or so now - love your 2 point acoustic mandolins, and the guitar bodied mandocello.

When I use my electric mandolin, I am primarily looking to add an extra layer to the songs. I might use it with effects or I might just use it for a couple of added notes it depends on the song. That being said I don't use it in place of my acoustic mando I use it in addition to it.

I have access to pitch to MIDI guitar synths, by having individual piezo pickups
    as the bridge, under each of 4 or 5 strings.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Short answer: women.
    Forget with the cowbell, already...

I bought my Mandobird-IV for a completely different sound and to allow easier use of effects. I play mostly Rock and Jazz on it, though occasionally will distort some classical pieces for fun. I also enjoy playing Southern (USA) style gospel songs on it. It was an inexpensive venture, and also doubles as a quiet practice mandolin when travelling.

I'm a complete hack and hobbyist, but if I were going to play out and wanted worry free acoustic amplification I'd probably first think of the Godin A-8 and the older Ovation MM-68s (because of their durability/reliability), but I really like some of Jonathan Mann's offerings, and there are, of course, other luthiers who make wonderful A/E mandolins (Rigel and Jerman pop into my head).

I agree that you'll get both answers, and both can be valid depending on your needs.
    Chuck

Thanks for quick response Guys; useful comments. They confirm what I thought, an emando is a useful addition to a players armoury rather than a replacement for an acoustic.
    What are the feelings for 5 or 4 strings?
    Also, many emandos seem to have just one pick-up. Would two be so close together that there wouldn’t be much tonal difference between the two?
    Hey Mandelect- thanks for the kind words- keeping watching my blog and you may see this thread evolving into my first electric mandolin!
    Cheers Gary

I play a variety of styles out here in the Bay Area.
    As of late, more Bluegrass than ever.
    But when I play with a swing band Rock Band, it can be difficult to compete with Drums, Bass, Horns, Pedal Steel etc.
    <b>An emando puts the mandolin at the same level as the rest of the band. </b>

In the long run, my head and heart prefers the tone and sound of an acoustic mandolin but it's fun to think and play out of the box.

Gary
    I have never tried a 5 string mando. However I have used a 4, 5 & 6 string bass, primarliy for their tonal range. With regards to your question about pick-ups, there are others here that are more qualified than I am in pick-up placement. I have always wondered though, about using a humbucker with a split coil option.

My preference would be for a single neck position pickup. I have four mando family electrics with this pickup configuration and it seems to give a very good tonal range, though I'm sure others will make a very good case for using dual mags. Using modeling effects processors, an extended range of tones can be achieved even with this minimalist setup. Another (expensive) idea, which gives more tonal options, would be magnetic neck position pickup coupled with piezo saddles or bridge pieces with an onboard pre-amp. This setup works very well on my Ryder EM-54.

I like four strings best, but on my mandolin scale electrics I always tune down (with heavier gauge strings) to DAEB. I have emandos with 13.875", 14" and 14.5" scale lengths. My emandola is 17" scale length and tuned CGDA - I have another 17" scale emandola about to arrive.

I played my Stewmac emando as a 5 string for a while, before deciding to remove a string! It's out of commission at the moment as it needs a rebuild.
    Last edited by mandelect; Jun-18-2011 at 12:51pm.

I tried 5 strings, but found it disorienting and instead of getting used to it with time, it sat unplayed. So I sold it and got a 4 string that makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by GarY Nava View Post
    So what are players of electric mandos looking for? Are you looking for an easy way to play a mandolin amplified or looking for an instrument that is quite different from an acoustic mandolin?
    Cheers Gary
    Answer in one word -SUSTAIN .. to add another would be -eliminating unwanted feedback .

PICK UPS-
    i have three emg active strat pick ups on my mando with a 5 way switch on my 5-string and i get a different sound from each position . from muddier to tinnier . do you need 3 pick ups maybe not but i do not regret installing them .

as far as whether to play 4 or 5 i find that if you all ready have a 6 string guitar and a 12 string guitar in the band the four can find its own space in the mix better where as the five gets lost in with the guitars more . so obviously the 5 string can hold the guitars position in a mix if there are no or few guitars
    Last edited by rico mando; Jun-18-2011 at 5:22pm.

Blog Entries

For me the goal has been about leaving the guitars at home. So I have developed a collection of instruments that will, in a vast majority of applications, allow me to avoid playing guitar. Four and 5 string electric mandolins go a long way in achieving that goal.

Versatility is what makes 4 and 5 string emandos so attractive to me. The 8 string instruments I own all sound like mandolins (a very good thing), and when that is what sounds best to me, that's what I use. But single string courses allow me to steal a little thunder from guitar players.

Daniel

Blog Entries

I wanted an electric mandolin so I could jam along to all my favorite classic rock songs and get a sound close to an electric guitar.
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

At the beginning, I used E-mando for its "rock n roll" sound (and look), but now, I use it to had "something" to our Irish music band, some kind of "not seen elsewhere" (and scottish bagpipe marchs with a light distortion are very cool).
    Strange fact : at home, I play mainly accoustic mandolin, "on stage" I played accoustic mandolin only once !
    Déjà Vu 5s 'Clockwork Orange 2' Emando - 'Clockwork Orange 3' Octave Emando - Goodtime Tenor Banjo - Former Framus mandocello
    Kasuga M50-Godin A8-Martella bowlback-Dunhuang Liuqin-Thüringer walddoline-2 Böhm waldzithers-electric waldzither-'Gelas' mandolin-domeback mandolin-Clearwater upgraded EMando

"A gentleman is a man who can play the bagpipe and who does not."

When I got my first electric early this year it was to play rock and blues with electric guitar, bass and drums and still be heard. I still wanted to sound like a mandolin, so I went with the Mandobird VIII. A few tweaks needed on nut, pickup and bridge, but since then this instrument has not disappointed. Where I live there are a few mandolin players, but none I know of besides myself that play blues, rock, alt country and folk as well as bluegrass. The audience is always receptive; maybe for the novelty of it more than my playing. I'm at best an average mandolin player (almost 3 years at it now, practice and play at least 2 - 3 hrs per day) and a slightly above average guitar player. However, if I took my guitar to play, I'd be just another one of hundreds of guitar players. As it is now, I'm the only mandolinst at the venues I play, so I get a lot more play time. So for me, an electric mando needs 8 strings, needs to still sound more like a mandolin than a guitar, but be able to be heard and contribute uniquely to a rock or blues band.

Hi Guys,
    Many thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer my questions; it’s really appreciated.
    Your comments have greatly helped to firm up my ideas about designing and building my first electric mandolin. Once I’ve got something made you’ll be the first to see it.
    All the best Gary

Hi Gary

For me an electric mandolin is a fantastic crossover instrument. I can play distorted lead "guitar" on a fret board I am more familiar with. If you are into Celtic Rock it's absolutely ideal. I like four strings rather than eight for speed across the strings and for the odd bend. I bet I would like five strings too if I were familiar with that set up.

Nice low action, and the two pickups on my Almuse are really worth having - both sound great, but they have distinctive sounds and of course you can engage them both for extra flexibility.

Good luck with the build. A friend of mine here in Aberdeen has one of your acoustic mandolins and absolutely loves it.

Cheers,

Bill

There are folks who want an acoustic sound to travel farther, but most of the folks in this are of the cafe (and they'll speak up if I'm wrong) really want an electric mandolin, not an amplified acoustic mandolin and not a little electric guitar.

I do it so we can look cool and twang out at the same time. This is an Almuse that Pete made.
    Last edited by Mark1975; Jun-20-2011 at 4:17pm. Reason: add moe comment

I just want to be loved. Is that so wrong?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1975 View Post
    I do it so we can look cool and twang out at the same time. This is an Almuse that Pete made
    I love the guitarists expression......"you shouldn`t have put it in the hot wash"
    Great photo Mark!
    CheeryBye