Thread: midi emando's

Default midi emando's

thinking of getting a midi capable mando does anyone have one? i know steve ryder offers one. what are my options and what are the draw backs.

pretty much any input on this subject would be great so i can make an informed choice thanks

Default Re: midi emando's

I've been toying with the idea of putting a Ghost system by GraphTech in an instrument but funds haven't allowed it. It would be an easy way to convert any mando to midi. Hopefully, Mandroid will chime in here. I believe he's been down this road.

I have a Godin LGX-SA guitar that I use for midi synth access, but you might want to consider a Sonuus G2M if you just want something to screw around with and you're OK with monophonic single-note output.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

wow graphtech is pretty intense. going to be looking at that site for awhile. my fender 5-string is basically hollow so i guess it could house all the components and accept more thru holes easily.

i have ordered the hexpander midi interface kit and saddles from graphtech.but i realize i know nothing about midi. what will i be plugging into so far i have only midi compatible pick ups do i go computer /synthsizer/or rack mount console ?
    Last edited by rico mando; Apr-08-2010 at 12:55am.

I have a couple,
    but you must realize the pitch to midi conversion takes place in the box you plug into, not on the instrument..

simplest: GI 20 roland , no sound files but has midi outs to use keyboard modules , I have used my older GR pedal things , and plugged into a MIDI keyboard and use its sound library and speakers.

I adopted RMC bridge pickup pieces , Steve Ryder Did a retrofit on my Pentaula's 5 string ,
    minimal Modifications , duplexed jacks by replacing the Strat angled jack plate, for the 1/4" + the 8 pin connector.

already had the RMC poly drive 2 from my prior retrofit of the 4 string I had Greg Biller make ,
    Its kind of a arched top A style , solid Alder, with a bit carved out with the drill press from the back .imbedded 4 pickup pieces in the bridge piece then drilled a hole in the top under the bridge site.
    RMC 'Acoustic Gold' is the elements , themselves, they will convert flattop guitars , and still be acoustic , as there is nothing much added to the instrument, just 6 pickup pieces each with a wee wire, and an 8 pin jack .. and patch cord sends the divided signals to a black box PD2
    that contains all the controls of a Godin SA guitar , a mono preamp 1/4" out, and the 13 pin output to Roland GR/Axon equipment for guitar synths [ and the Roland VG stuff also]..

The pickup pieces are offered in Strat and Gibson Tune-o-matic bridge format too ..

I sent Martin S a picture of the 4 string its on his Emando site under builders , the having the controls on the box on the music stand works OK, the guy who did the conversion replaced the 1/4" with the 8 pin jack , then ran the magnetic pickup signal thru #7
    then put a pass thru jack for the output from the pickup on the back of the control box ..
    Given Mandolins don't have a lot of surface realestate to put all the sliders and buttons on.

http://www.rmcpickup.com/products.html
    Last edited by mandroid; Apr-08-2010 at 12:23am.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

ok so are you saying a synth keyboard is best user friendly for obtaining effects. i have a gt-10 which has great guitar effects but i want bass and organ/bag pipes

add a Roland GKP, and then you can use a couple GR units in parallel, pick 2 different patches in each, and mix the outputs with the stereo mixer channels .

with the GI20 you can just plug into any Midi Keyboard , cheap ones , so as to use the built in amp and speakers ..
    daisy chaining Midi stuff is possible , but the change commands affect all the units ,
    so I'm Not sure how you can pick one and change the other , down the signal chain..

Or buy the better keyboard rack modules , at their costs ..

One thing I found guitar synth pedals , I have a gr30 and a 33, they cut out at the note corresponding to the 15th fret G on mandolin E strings, as guitars dont make that note ..

Keyboard modules back up all piano keys.. 88 of them

picture of my 4 string [link] http://www.emando.com/images/builders/Biller.jpg
    Last edited by mandroid; Apr-08-2010 at 12:51pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

thanks i am looking at axon's ax-100 right now

Quote Originally Posted by rico mando View Post
    thanks i am looking at axon's ax-100 right now
    That's what I use in my Midi guitar rig. I think it tracks a little better than the Roland converter if you're mainly interested in driving external synths/samplers (the Roland GR-20 might track a wee bit better for its own internal sounds). The Axon has more flexible options like fretboard zone mapping, if you really want to geek out on this stuff.

The internal sounds on both the Roland G20 and Axon AX 100 MkII are okay to start with, but there is a vast amount of hardware and software-based sound sources you can use externally that will sound better -- especially if you're looking for realistic/acoustic sounds. At that point, you basically have a choice between hardware-based sound sources like keyboards or rackmount synth/samplers, or plug-ins on a computer.

If you'll never do this outside your home, the computer approach offers greater variety of sounds, the ultimate in multi-sampled realism, and easier programming and bank management.

For gigs, I'm still a fan of hardware sound sources like rackmount synth/samplers and keyboards. Hardware is reliable, boots up quickly, and has very low latency which is sometimes a headache with computers.

My main sound source at the moment is a rackmount Yamaha Motif-Rack ES, now discontinued in favor of whatever the current version is, but you can probably find one used at a good price. I seldom use more than acoustic bass, organs and other keys, and a few pads for backgrounds. It's great for that. If I used violin/orchestra, winds, or percussion, I'd probably look for something with more multi-samples, possibly even a laptop-based system. The really powerful stuff for realistic sounds is all computer-based these days.

Holding my tongue on the GR33 since it's DNF quit within a few minutes when last I plugged it in.

amusing while it lasted, no gigs to use the stuff at, , so replacement /repair is a thing to think hard on

see if the new stuff is good, more reliable, or just profitable to the marketing chain. .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

looks like i will be going down the road few mandolinists have chosen to take.thanks for the input i am presently eagerly awaiting confirmation of my order from graphtech.

u could get urself a 1987 casio DG-20. full midi interface and has an electric mandolin setting... I hear its the Bomb
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midi installed 002..jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	57309[/ATTACH][/ATTACH] here is the midi interface installed if i have this picture thing working right
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midi installed 004..jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	57307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midi installed 005..jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	57308  

ok the pictures went up . its a fender 5-string that i installed a ghost hexpander preamp kit and ghost saddle pickups that i purchased online from graphtech. it went in easily enough had to put a hole in the top for the 13pin connector. removed the tone pot and replaced it with the volume for midi. drilled to small holes in the pick guard for the program selector and the midi to piezo switch ( not sure if i need the last one). the mag pickups are separate from the midi system and still run through the 1/4 jack. the kit was all made of plug together pieces so no soldering was required other than grounding the bridge to the volume pot and the volume to the jack.

still waiting for my axon ax-100 to arrive to see how it works

Exclamation Re: midi emando's

holy #### have my axon ax100 for an hour now still working through all the effect choices. i am having no problems at all strait out of the box i have every fret every note . this things absolutely rocks