Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Goldtone

Default New Goldtone

In the CBOM topic there's a post on the new 2010 Gold Tone line because they are offering a new 'zouk and 'dola.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=59624

They've got a new solidbody.

http://www.goldtone.com/products/det...4-New-for-2010

Default Re: New Goldtone

Looks nice. So many instruments, so little paycheck

Blog Entries

Jeez, that looks a lot like Jeff's C's JBovier ELS model.

Daniel

Luthierus Amateurius crazymandolinist's Avatar

Nice looking mandolin. Doesn't look like it's trying too hard, and the color scheme works very well.
    "The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life Unfair" - Relient K

"THEY'RE HERE!!! THEY'RE HERE!!! the Albino Brain Chiggers!" - Harry from 3rd Rock

I see it offered on the web for $299 at some stores -- about the same price as Kentucky 300e --but it's got the humbucker already. Anyone play both?

If only it had one more string--that's not too much to ask for, is it?

Dunno, ask GT.. the stacked HB under a brass tele pickup cover seems a good move, Id Say..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    I see it offered on the web for $299 at some stores -- about the same price as Kentucky 300e --but it's got the humbucker already. Anyone play both?
    Can you tell me which stores, please? I went looking for it when this thread first popped up and couldn't find any of my usual suspects who were listing it yet.

John

I'd also like to see it with a rosewood fingerboard rather than maple, but that's small potatoes.

As it is, it still reminds me of a 60's Epiphone Olympic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/graguitar/4294436044/

Default New Goldtone

inappropriate content removed by moderator
    Last edited by JEStanek; Mar-24-2010 at 9:30pm. Reason: Inappropriate content removed by moderator.

Cool. Gold Tone seems to be barnstorming the market.

These have been out for a few months -- anyone out there get to play one yet?
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Instrument Alley has the Gold Tone GME-4 for $299. I'm tempted. Here's a link:

http://www.instrumentalley.com/Gold-...in-p/gme-4.htm
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Yeah, but it's $45 extra for the gig bag.

Board sponsor Folkmusician.com also sells them for $299 w/ free shipping and shop setup (not sure about the gig bag though).

If I had the wife's buy in for another instrument, I think I'd get one since I am emando deprived and I like the price, the maple fretboard with the blonde finish, and its specs looks good on paper.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Janet Davis has them too for $299 plus $39.95 for shipping -- and like another $44 for a gig bag. Has anyone actually played one of these yet?

I'm looking at the Gold Tone versus the Kentucky 300e (at the Mandolin Store) -- which has that lipstick single coil pickup I'd have to eventually replace, but it comes with a gig bag and free shipping for $279, which makes it easier to convince the wife. Gold Tone LOOKS slightly better, but it looks like another hundred and I've got a limited window of opportunity.

Well unfortunately, I suppose we need to support China's economy don't we? I'll try to keep my Instruments as much MADE IN THE USA as I possibly can.
    Thank You, John

<removed post>
    Last edited by Jim MacDaniel; Jul-14-2010 at 4:18pm. Reason: self-regulating
    ~ Mark Twain

Well, Whatever! I know the real truth, and it's all about making the buck.
    Buy em up!

My apologies for my first response John -- I didn't realize you were a builder, and as such you do have an interest in this thread. (Plus, one of your 5-string Tele's is on my dream-emando list.)
    ~ Mark Twain

No Problem Jim. I suppose I've already said enough on the subject.
    John

And I can appreciate your point of view.

Regards,
    Jim
    ~ Mark Twain

Hey, I'd like nothing more than a custom five-string hand-crafted electric myself, but I just can't afford it right now. I'm paying thousands of dollars in medical expenses, I have a son in college and another one getting ready. I was working three jobs until I went out on short-term disability. So I'm left with two choices, either buy a low-cost import so I can gain some proficiency on emando, or I can just wait another five years hoping the economy will improve some. Perhaps with some emando experience it'll be easier to convince my wife when it's time to step up to something better.

I can empathize with John. It's an interesting business. I was always happy to see someone buy an entry level emando because I knew it wouldn't be long before they'd get fed up with it and want to take the next step to a better instrument. I purposefully priced my instruments to fall right in the middle. I was the "working man's" emando. Unlike a lot of other guys in the business, I'm fortunate that I have a day job but many emando builders are relying on their instruments to supplement a retirement or even be their full source of income. Emandos are such a small market that it was already tough, but now in a down economy its even worse and then add to that a couple import companies decide to get into the mix. It also stings when you keep seeing people throwing around such low numbers and how they're trying to save a couple extra bucks on shipping when you know they'll be back on the site in a couple weeks complaining about the weak E string or that their bridge wont properly intonate. It's nothing personal. Its just a frustrating time for a lot of people.

In reality, I think this really is a buyers market and especially a good market for a custom instrument. I wont say that I speak for all builders, but I know that I am more willing to deal to keep instruments going out the door. I'm not cutting prices so much as discounting upgrades or simply not up-charging for a better slice of wood. I'm also intentionally building more instruments on spec with fewer features than my base models and that is represented in the price for those instruments. A lot of builders are being more creative and if you're in the market for a new instrument I'd encourage you to contact a builder and see if you can come to a mutual agreement.

I'm no stranger to the business side of instruments, but it's frustrating to me when I ask a simple question about the comparison of two similar products, and the thread gets hijacked by people who feel I shouldn't be looking at those models for their own economic reasons. I can understand a constructive comment suggesting I invest more money in a quality instrument that would better satisfy my needs (I surely would if I could). THAT END of the market is fairly commoditized, and you ought to get used to it.