Thread: A little help

Default A little help

I recently purchased a Fender FM61SE mandolin at a decent price. I am going to change the pots, input jack, etc. to upgrade it and wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what pickup to replace the stock Fender single coil pickup that it came with? I have an EMG select single coil sitting around but don't know if that is much of an upgrade. Really don't want to cut into the pickguard or body, so whatever it is I would want it to fit into the hole that is already there. I am open to a single space humbucker as well as any single coil suggestions. Thanks in advance, John

Default Re: A little help

I have another FM61se, I simply removed the the original pickguard/scratchplate, set it aside
    [after tracing around it] and made another one .

stew mac amongst other sources , has the sheet material to do that,
    I replaced everything , Jack, Pots, (they had a dual concentric pot at the time)
    and an EMG select Strat type format pickup, I opted for their stacked humbucker .

Steve Ryder offers custom 4 pole pickups as direct replacements, if you want to go that way .

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Here's a guy in Oregon trying to sell what looks like a secondhand Seymour Duncan Mandocaster pickup on eBay. It looks expensive to me, but I can tell you he's had it on Craig's List for a while with no bites, so maybe he'll listen to offers.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I've just fitted Carvin AP-11s to an electric octave mandolin. There's 12 adjustable pole pieces on each pick-up, so there's a good chance of having at least one pole piece underneath each string! The OEM is a mini-Strat and it still sounds quite Strat-like with the Carvins. I don't know what other people feel about Carvin pick-ups, but I found the company very helpful and delivery was very prompt.
    Chris; London, England

http://www.myspace.com/mandolinjack

http://uk.youtube.com/user/MandolinJackFlatt

(Furch MF23, Gibson A0, Hoyer archtop, a nameless tenor, Abbot banjo ..
    + some guitars)