Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gibson History, serial numbers, FON's and such

Default Re: Gibson History, serial numbers, FON's and such

Thanks Links..I will post that here for record keeping. This is fully consistent with the contentions I have been making lately

Some of the pre-World War II Gibson banjo manufacturing dates that we commonly accept are incorrect.

Surviving pre-war Gibson factory records do not contain detailed and specific information about production dates for individual instruments. It is possible that Gibson never kept this data in the way that C.F. Martin and other manufacturers did. However, by combining other contemporary external source material and the surviving original Gibson factory records we are now in a position to make some badly needed adjustments to our Gibson banjo manufacturing chronology.

One of the first people to attempt the compilation of a pre-war Gibson manufacturing date system was Mr. Davis Kennedy. In a letter published by Bluegrass Unlimited magazine in March 1969, Mr. Kennedy laid out the first important information that would be used for years in assigning production dates for Gibson banjos. Davis Kennedy worked at Gibson as the Supervisor of the Custom Department from 1965 through 1968 and collected his data firsthand from the Gibson factory employees during that period. Roger Siminoff began building on that early data when Pickin’ Magazine published his Gibson Banjo “Serial Number” list in the 1970's. Vintage instrument dealers like George Gruhn, John Bernunzio, Stan Werbin, Stan Jay and legions of private individuals followed the example of these earliest pioneers and collected their own lists of Gibson numbers. These materials first became widely available in the 1990's when Tom Biggs placed a large collection of Gibson information on his Internet website.

As the data began to mount, cracks began to appear in the accepted dates. Tom Biggs originally voiced his concerns to me on this topic over 15 years ago. Other collectors began to see the problems as well, especially those who collected Gibson guitars and mandolins. The system used by the banjo enthusiasts simply did not square with information collected by the guitars and mandolin players. The situation worsened as original sales receipts surfaced, more catalogs were reprinted and a few nearly complete collections of Mastertone Magazine were complied. In his recent book even Jim Mills points out a few of the problems with our accepted chronology.

In retrospect part of the problem is clear. No single collector or dealer had enough data from which to draw valid conclusions. Gibson built over a hundred thousand instruments before World War II and a list containing 200 numbers or even 2,000 numbers is simply not enough data. Another problem is that bad information was repeated. In his original 1969 letter, Davis Kennedy stated that the first flat head Mastertones were built in 1932. But immediately afterwards he qualified that statement by writing that “no one knew for sure, but the most popular guess at Gibson was 1932.” Mr. Kennedy never intended that 1932 be taken as an absolute. But the information was repeated over and over again for years and unfortunately it was incorrect.

The confusing and inconsistent Gibson “system” of serial numbers and factory order numbers adds to the problem. Each batch of instruments built by Gibson during the pre-World War II period had a “factory order number.” This number was used by the accounting department to track the actual costs of manufacturing the instruments. The price of raw materials, finished sub-assembly parts and labor used in the production of each particular batch of instruments were tracked and assigned to that factory order number. High quality instruments like L-5 guitars and F-5 mandolins also received an actual serial number upon completion. Other mid-line instruments like banjos and lower quality guitars simply retained their factory order number with the addition of a bin number instead. Lower quality instruments often got no identifying numbers at all, even though they originally had a factory order number just like everything else.

In a 1970 interview former Gibson employee Wilbur Marker stated that the factory order numbers originated in the weekly production meetings. The senior staff gathered together each week and decided what would be produced in the near future. According to Wilbur Marker, a pre-printed and serially number form was used to initiate a production run. The number on this form became the factory order number. External evidence today shows that Gibson had been using the factory order number system as early as the 1910's and perhaps before that. Indeed, by the time the first Mastertone banjos rolled off the production line in April 1925 the factory order numbers were already in the 8,000 range.

It would also be naive to assume that the factory order numbers were always used in sequential order. Existing evidence shows this is simply not so. Some instruments took longer to sell, some took longer to produce. What began as a pile of pre-printed forms with sequential numbers was not always exactly in numerical order at the end of the production line. For the period from 1925 through 1930 they are nearly sequential, but from 1931 onwards chaos was the order of the day. In my examination of the 1935 shipping ledger sometimes I wonder if someone knocked over that pile of pre-printed forms and then just picked them up off the floor without returning them to sequential order.

The shipping ledgers also show another important fact. After the stock market crash of October 1929 Gibson had extreme difficulty selling plectrum (PB), regular (RB) and any gold plated banjos. One All-American tenor (9747-4) was shipped and returned nine times. By 1937 it is described as being “shop worn.” The final Mastertone banjo shipped prior to World War II was a style 6 which had been sitting around the factory since 1928. I have interviewed a Gibson employee who worked there in the period 1938-1940. He remembers seeing hundreds of dusty older instruments sitting around in the famous rolling racks. Some of them in a state of partial disassembly. The shipping ledgers themselves show that Gibson had a considerable back stock of instruments. These often appear in the ledger with the notation “TB-G old style” or simply “L-5 old.”

It is not difficult at all for me to believe that the Earl Scruggs RB-Granada was assembled in the first quarter of 1930, but not shipped until 1934. The shipping ledgers show that type of thing happened with regularity. Research on my book continues on a daily basis. Hopefully, I will be able to share a revised and more accurate Gibson banjo production chronology with everyone at a near date.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edited by - Joe Spann on 10/21/2009 08:21:35
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Darryl:

Sometime when you get a chance you might want to contact Joe and see what he might have regarding mandolins. Apparently, he hs obtained some of the shipping records that were probably thrown in a dumpster when Gibson was moving their factory. I know Greg Rich and maybe some others got into the dumpster at some point during this period and "salvaged" quite a few of the old blueprints and other information on banjos. I can't imagine that they would have left mandolin information in the dumpster if it had been in there.

Joe has also interviewed many of the old workers and/or their children to get some feel for what it was like working in the factory before and after the war.
    Linksmaker

By absolute pure coincidence, Joe contacted me yesterday. And, yes I have seen some of those blueprints in possession of another noted banjo expert
    www.f5journal.com

Bump up for Bernie
    www.f5journal.com

Blog Entries

Much appreciated! Thanks.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Let's pick up the A4 virzi asterisk thing here
    www.f5journal.com

Now, according to Bill Van...his instrument is an Ajr with the asterisk. Ajr's also have a different label. I am a bit confused. Is there another mando with the red asterisk making three, and what is it?
    www.f5journal.com

Darryl, I know of three:

77438 and
    77454 the Jr.

BVL
    Bill

With SNs that close together, the asterisks may have something to do with a particular batch of instruments, irrespective of which model they are or whether they have a Virzi. 77428 is a black snakehead A (not an A4) and has no Virzi.

There are 2 other Virzi A4 snakes in this SN range, but the Archive doesn't have photos, so we don't know if they have asterisks or not.

On Dec. 1, 1924, Loar signed labels for instruments in the 773xx-804xx range, so we can date this small group of instruments at the beginning of the end of the Loar period.

Coincidentally, Santa is bringing me 78318 next week. I'll look for an asterisk, although I really don't expect to see one.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Red Asterisk...yet another possible and perhaps unknowable explanation...
    the sides are not matched on #77438..
    It has flame on the treble side and birdseye on the bass side..

Also ..the top has a more plank type widegrain...not 1/4 sawn....

I have #79567 here...It's also snakehead A-4 and looks almost identical to the ebay one. It too has a Virzi, and also has the coffee-colored tuner buttons...but no red asterisk.

The mystery of the red asterisk.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Were the 'coffee' colored tuner buttons actually colored like that at the factory or is that a discoloration that happened over time (mandolin being exposed to too many cigarettes, dunked in coffee too many times, etc.)?

I have heard those tuner buttons referred to as "butterscotch".
    They came like that, it is not discoloration.
    I looked into it on the Archives one time and discovered that although they are somewhat rare they seemed to be used on some A4 and F4 models.
    I don't remember seeing them on any other models.
    I had a 1924 A4 Snakehead with them on it.
    They are very nice.

As to the red asterisk...I posted this comment in the 1924 A4 Snake thread in the Ebay section:

Perhaps the marks we're added later...maybe a dealer liked to mark all the mandolins that passed through the store with a red asterisk? Just a thought. It seems if the asterisks were added at the factory during the build they would use pencil like the rest of the serial #.

Yes, that one occured to me too...
    The seller of 77438 told me that he bought it
    from the original owners son...
    So,No stopovers in any shops likely for this one....at least for resale..
    nor is there any evidence of any repairs for that matter..

Something that may help clear this up and a whole pile of other
    questions..
    Would be to have a more mandolins documented in the Mandolin Archive....
    I've recently been asking some of my local shops to send in the photos and info on their prewar Gibson mandolins to the archive...
    Better representation in the Archive is pretty much a win win for all concerned..yes?
    Thomas Quinn

With Mr. Spann's book forthcoming, this would be a good place to pick up on the discussion. This is where our accepted dating of mandolin construction starts to align with Joe Spann's dates or at least it comes into question. We simply did not have enough evidence to support it
    www.f5journal.com

Hey ... I had occasion to look over a vintage F4 that was missing its endpin. The endpin hole gives one a nice view of the neck block. (You can also get a good look at the transverse brace.) I did not see an FON stamped thereupon. Methought perhaps there was something stamped on the scroll block, way up at the end of the hollow part of the scroll, but I couldn't get enough light up there to be sure. So where does one typically find the FON on an F4?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

It should be on the head block. I just took the back off a snake A and found a FON stamped on the back near the tail block. Go figure
    www.f5journal.com

They almost always show up like this in an oval-holed instrument:

The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Van Liere View Post
    Darryl, I know of three:

77438 and
    77454 the Jr.

BVL
    I have a 1924 Gibson Loar A-style snakehead mandolin Model# 77949 with a red asterisk at the end. I have been trying to find out the relevance of the asterisk. The FON is 11221. Donald Patton

Can you post a close up photo of the number?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1924 Gibson Loar Mandolin 003.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	89892

I hope this comes out ok. Not sure if I pasted it right.

I'll let the round hole experts weigh in on this one but to me it does not look like the factory did the *. They used red pencial on batch numbers after the FON but not on labels like this.

I do appreciate you taking the time to look at it. Since there are at least 4 mandolins with this red asterisk, We just hope to learn of it's significance. Thanks!