Thread: Bigsby Book

Default Bigsby Book

Haven't seen this mentioned on this board yet, so just wanted to plug this book:

The Story Of Paul A. Bigsby: The Father Of The Modern Electric Solidbody Guitar

It's an amazing collection of historical info on this obscure but influential LA maker, along with HUGE, high-quality photos of lots of his instruments.

There are some pretty glaring omissions, the most relevant to this list being very little on Tiny Moore (see more on how this book came about from Deke Dickerson on this thread on the Steel Guitar Forum.) However there ARE some great pictures of other Bigsby mandolins and doubleneck guitar-mandolins, including some very rare 10 strings and solidbody tenor guitars. Also included are photos of Bigsby's jigs and patterns, which I'd have to think would be of interest to emando luthiers.

The book is well worth the price at $50, and it's a steal at the Amazon discount price.
    Last edited by delsbrother; Mar-29-2009 at 1:18am.

2. The following members say thank you to delsbrother for this post:

Spruce 

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bigsby Book

Got it for my birthday earlier this month. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, been busy with a review for LibraryThing.com and a new Kindle that also arrived for birthday. An embarrasment of riches!

I did look though it and it is a beautiful book!

Daniel

I've had this book ordered since I found out about it a few months ago through Vintage Guitar magazine. I am SOOO looking forward to buying it!...Kerry K

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

There was a good interview with the author on National Public Radio's program Weekend Edition a few weeks back. It's probably available for listening online, for interested peoples.

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

The bookstore just put this book in my hot little hands. It is easily the nicest high end reference book that I own, and I have a LOT of them. I had NO idea the sheer number of axes that he built!I thought he only built maybe 20 of them. Wow!. Kerry K