Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Light case suggestions for Traveler or other pancakes

Question Light case suggestions for Traveler or other pancakes

Just received my new Traveler from Steve Smith, and had planned to keep it in a Travellite case I had in my closet -- but alas, it doesn't fit (the mandolin is too short for the case: the gear compartment blocks the headstock from resting in the case). I just checked the two active Flatiron Pancake case threads here at the cafe, and found nothing in them regarding light cases -- so wanted to start this thread looking for light case ideas, since A) I prefer carrying around light cases far more than the heavier hardshell variety, and B) I want more support and protection than a gig bag can offer.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Jim MacDaniel; Jan-06-2009 at 3:39pm.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Default Re: Light case suggestions for Traveler or other pancakes

I know this is not exactly what you asked, but I understand the dilemma and since I have a pancake (Parsons) and similar preferences, I have thought about it a lot and this is a version of what I have done, more like what I would do if I had it to do over again. First, I would go ahead and get a flat-top pancake hard case. I know you want to avoid that, but the ones I've seen are are pretty small, pretty light and very protective. Then, I would go to a tennis store and find the smallest tennis racket case that the hard case would fit into (probably a double case, since a full-size mando case will fit in a triple). I would get one that has backpack straps, but that's just me. The end result would be a package that does pretty much what you want, in some ways even better than what you want, even though it's getting there a different route than you thought.

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    ...First, I would get a flat-top pancake hard case...
    Is someone making such a case now, or should I keep an eye out on the classifieds and eBay for one of those that Flatiron used to sell?
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

I think TKL or one of their competitors used to make them. I gotta imagine they still do. I would also imagine Redline or some of the other pancake makers have at least looked into it. You might check with them.

Here's what I did, which is not quite as good as what I suggested, although it works really well: I got the $40 mando case that Musician's Friend sells, linked below:
    http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ase?sku=544411

It is really a great case for the money and fairly lightweight. But the case is too large for a pancake. So I made pads out of foam rubber, covered with sheets of felt, attached to the foam with spray adhesive. One pad lifts the back so the pancake is level with the neck supports and another pad pushes against the instrument's tail section so the body is moved forward and the headstock clears the accessory compartment. It optionally all fits in Wilson Triad triple tennis racket case. It sounds convoluted, but I works and I have transported that instrument through all kinds of abuse, without a scratch.

I just think the whole idea would be better with a smaller case that did not need pads and a smaller tennis racket case.

Bulldog Strap Owner!! Lawn Jockey's Avatar

My Poe Scout fits nicely (not perfectly.....but it fits) in an Ameritage AME-82 Shaped case.

I know it's not light weight....and it's not cheap.....but it does fit.

Good luck.

EDITED TO ADD: Here's a pic of it in the case.......

Last edited by Lawn Jockey; Jan-06-2009 at 9:24pm.

Musician's Friend/Johnson Light case is 11" across inside , end to the neck cradle which would be where headstock/nut lays .. 17"

I have my Manjo in mine , 10" head. case has a nice external pouch. Backpack straps .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks Robert -- I was wondering if that one would work, and it looks like it will based upon the 17" measurement. (That measurement on my Travelite is ~20", but it needs to be < 18" for my Traveler to fit in it.)
    ~ Mark Twain

Is this the one you have Robert? (A-style rectangular case)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	475318.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	37626  
    ~ Mark Twain

the Shaped durafoam one .. #540613, they are at $49. on todays web listed price.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

With the growing number of pancakes out there, it seems like there ought to be a sufficient market for some case maker to build something a little more appropriate.

Rick Turner has been teaching folks to build real nice pancakes in his instrument-building workshops, and he might have a line on an option. I'll drop him a note.

PK
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Thanks Paul. (Maybe Rick can start up a "build your own mandolin case" workshop over there at the Crucible. )
    ~ Mark Twain

Update: I had also been toying with the idea of buying a featherweight style case made for a viola or tenor uke, modifying the padding if need be. Then I came upon the Protec featherweight cases for tenor and baritone ukes, one of which might work without mods since their padding is not shaped like a uke body (http://www.protecstore.com/items.asp...ubCategoryID=7). I sent an email to Protec asking about the internal dimensions, as well as the distance between the two neck bolcks on either side of the gear comparment, just to make sure it will work.

In case it helps anyone else in their search, I updated the attached Traveler pic with key dimensions, which I sent on to Protec to help. (Email or PM me off-line if you want me to send you a larger readable copy.)

Also, in case anyone out there is OK with a chipboard case, I found one apparently made specifically for Gibson & Flatiron pancakes here, for $24 plus $6.95 shipping.

Name:	traveler dimensions.jpg 
Views:	645 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	37704  
    ~ Mark Twain

I contacted Rick Turner, but haven't heard back yet.

I tried to purchase one of the chipboard cases through the link in Jim's post, but they are no longer available.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Those Access model 3 stiffened gig bags appear flexible in what fits . was a good bit of discussion
    about those when they came out last year.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Hey All--

Great topic! To keep the price low on these Traveler Mandolins, I send them out with a pretty marginal gig bag. I feel O.K. about it, because I really try to stress this point when the subject of gig bags and cases comes up with a customer.

Anyway, I am currently in search of a good supplier for a hardshell case for these instruments, so I am anxious to see where this thread goes.

I will say this, I met with a honcho from the TKL case company at last year's Nashville NAMM Show. They used to make cases for another company that used to build a very similar instrument. He was certain that he could supply me with a case that would work for my Red Line Traveler mandolins. I'll get in touch with him and see what we can come up with. When I get some news, I'll get back here with the info. If I can offer such a case, it would be a great improvement, and I figure I could give the customer the option of a hardshell case or a gig bag when they order their mandolin.

Steve Smith
    www.CumberlandAcoustic.com
    www.RedLineResophonics.com

Thanks Steve, and keep up the great work!

And Robert, thanks for the lead on the Stage 3 -- it appears to be a hybrid between and gig bag and a hard foam case?
    ~ Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Yeah, thanks Steve, that would be super! I would love to have a good case for my Traveler, it deserves it!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Moon Guitars sells a fiberglass case for their pancake style mandos for aprx $145 USD. I've tried both Eastman fb cases and neither one (F or A style) will fit the Moon mandolin.

Has anyone tried this Resonator Mando case?

Traveler Case Update from Red Line...

I have some Alpine (or is it Boulder...?) gig bags on their way. I ordered them yesterday, so they should be here some time next week. They are made specifically for A stlyle mandolins, so I hope my Traveler mandolins fit in them good enough. I use this same brand and style of gig bag for the resophonic guitars I make, and I have been very pleased with the way they hold up, and the way they protect the instrument. Not like a hardshell case would, but pretty darn good.

Steve Smith
    www.CumberlandAcoustic.com
    www.RedLineReso.com

Blog Entries

I don't know if 'tough' is in your criteria but I saw a thread on Acoustic Guitar forum about this Case used with CA Cargo Guitar. The CA Cargo is 22" scale length travel guitar so a small flat top mando should fit too.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

I think I am on to something here: adjustable viola cases. They typically are wide enough for the Traveler body, long enough, don't utilize padding shaped to the side of a viola body, so they just might work. I am reasearch two or three reasonably priced options, and will post the results here. (I may have to wait until next week, since many of the dealers I am reaching out to are at NAMM this week.)

Name:	Janco foam viola case.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	38056  
    ~ Mark Twain

Looks like this viola case at Amazon for $69 should work. I sent the seller my measurements and he said it should fit, and he also sent the below pic that shows how the velcro-attached padding can be moved to fit. (I suppose one should be able to fashion replacement padding to the shape of Traveler's body.)

Name:	Prelude viola2.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	38160  
    ~ Mark Twain

These cases available on eBay for less than $50 including shipping should work, but I have concerns about the placement of the headstock due to the single gear compartment on one side.

Name:	INTERIOR DIMENSION (Janco Green case).jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	38161  
    ~ Mark Twain

This may be a moot point since you seem to want a light no-give case like a Travelite, but when traveling and/or flying I use a gig bag to transport my pancake mando. Mine is well padded with shoulder straps (can carry like a backpack) and it works great, no problems. Can find decent ones online and at music stores where I got mine. I don't remember the brand I have so can't help you there but they don't cost too much.

Good luck.
    Dave

All,

Since I have a Traveler on order from Red Line I'm very interested in this thread, especially since I plan to take it with me on a trip overseas a week or two after I get it. I'm concerned Lufthansa could make me check it in because I need to take both a laptop and the mandolin and with a 1 carry-on rule they are fairly strict. For the price of the mandolin buying a Calton case isn't an option. I looked through many threads on the forum. Maybe I have another option:

Many people seem to like the TKL Zero Gravity case which is available from First Quality Music for $67 bucks. It's water resistant, uses core foam, wood reinforced, has a nice handle, shoulder straps (which strangely can't be detached from one end but I can live with it), and an external pocket.

TKL Zero Gravity TKL6151-2

- http://www.firstqualitymusic.com/ite...KL-6151-2%20BK

Better pictures of the exterior and interior from the TKL site:
    http://www.tkl.com/?siteid=search&qs...%20-%20F-Style

The big questions are the dimensions. After some scanning around I found the following site
    that gave dimensions in centimeters which I converted to inches:

http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/detail...roductID/1026/

Versatile case Fits 'A' or 'F' style mandolins

The internal dimensions for this case are as follows;

Length - 72cm - 28.35 inches

Body length - 36cm - 14.17 inches

Width (bottom bout) - 26cm - 10.23 inches

Width (top bout) - 26cm - 10.23 inches

Depth - 9.5cm - 3.74 inches

Here are some quick calculations I did based on Jim MacDaniel's dimensions from the image
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...&d=1231527902:

1. 14.17 (case body length) - 12.25 (Traveler body length) = 1.92 inches of free space from neck heel.
    2. 10.23 (case body width) - 9.625 (Traveler body length) = .605 inches of free space around the body.
    3. 3.74 - (case depth) - 2.75 inches depth (traveler body depth with bridge) = 1 inch of free space for depth.
    4. Headstock width - case measurement unavailable but it looks like it will fit.
    5. From calculations there should be 14.18 from neck to end of headstock (28.35 total length - 14.17 body length)
    in the case.

So far so good? If you see any problems or miscalculations please shout.

So the big questions are:

1. Is the neck rest which appears to be in the center of the case longer than 6.5 inches?
    2. What is the width and length of the pocket that holds the headstock?

I bet it fits but I'll sent an email to FQMS to see if they can tell me. If any of you have this case and can tell us I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tom