Thread: Tim o'brien

I took the day off today so I could catch Tim O this evening in Asheville and have spent the morning listening to his newest release. This is very, very good. He bounces from mandolin to guitar to fiddle to mandocello and seems equally adept at all of them. I think this is probably my favorite release of Tim's so far--just him, solo. I thought I would recommend it.
    Steven E. Cantrell
    Campanella A

Steve,

I think you'll enjoy the show. I saw him Monday night at the Woodsongs taping here in Lexington and I loved it.

Got the new CD and I've been playing along with it on the guitar. Really enjoying the song Hoss Race since I work with TB racing data and software development.

Tim's my hero!

Everyone can enjoy the show by watching for the taped show to go up on the Woodsongs Old Time Radio Hour web site. I'm a Woodsongs partner and I got to see the show from the 2nd row Monday night at the Kentucky Theater. It was awesome!

Paula

Hey Paula...Ive was wondering what became of you...glad to see your still around. Thanks for the Tim O info.

Scotti,

Yes, I'm still around! #Just not playing mando any more, so don't have as much to say. #I still have my Duff mando, because I haven't been able to get over to first quality to consign it, and also it's just been hard to part with it even thought it hasn't been played in a year or so. #I do have a Hamlett dola I play now and then, so I guess technically I'm still in the mando family. #Just love my Bourgeois guitar the best. #(oops, hope I can't get kicked off the cafe for admitting that!) #

Tim O. is still my hero , he can pick anything, and sing and write songs... wish I had all that talent!!

I'm still taking lessons from Daniel Carwile, he's another one that can play anything with strings. #I just need to be able to pick enough to accompany myself, but I'm still more comfortable singing than playing.

Hope you're getting to play as much as you want.

Paula

Blog Entries

Paula, I'm still jealous of that photo on your myspace page where you're jamming with Tim O in the hotel.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

wow. this album rules. such a nice showcasing of his voice and the instruments. on first listen, this album feels like it has a ton of gems.
    www.bigdrawbluegrass.com

Voight A-5
    Bayard GBOM

A great album from a great writer and musician. I'm really enjoying mine.

Jamie,

No way was I really playing mando in Tim's ear.

I was standing behind him though!

And, by Jesse Cobb, who played my mando for 4 or 5 songs. If I remember correctly, in one of those photos I was holding an F5, which wasn't even my mando, it belonged to a friend of mine. I later ran back across the hall (my room was conveniently located across the hall from the Sugar Hill Records hospitality suite) and got my mando.

The room was full of 'stars'. An amazing night altogether. One for the memory books. I even stayed up all night. I don't even know if I could do that more, certainly not with the present condition of my health, so I'm doubly glad I had the experience!

Paula

Paula, I sometimes catch woodsongs, but dont know when it is regularly on. I would come to Lex to see certain people. I live in London. Play mandolin in band. so is there a schedule as to when and who will be there.

Blog Entries

Tim's show 477 is up on the woodsongs website. Enjoy! I know I will.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by (dmamlep @ Mar. 28 2008, 14:17)
    Paula, I sometimes catch woodsongs, but dont know when it is regularly on. I would come to Lex to see certain people. I live in London. Play mandolin in band. so is there a schedule as to when and who will be there.
    http://www.woodsongs.com/wotrh.html

Quote Originally Posted by (Steve in SC @ Mar. 28 2008, 13:32)
    I think this is probably my favorite release of Tim's so far--just him, solo. I thought I would recommend it.
    In addition to being availabe at the links on the homepage it is available on iTunes as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Great show in Asheville last night. Tim played his old Nugget
    bouzouki (sounded great!), 00-18, fiddle, and banjo. No mandolin, though. Bought the cd too--it's a dandy.
    Russ Jordan

The show last night was great, with Tim doing some of the songs from the new record along with a second set of his standards that the crowd requested. The missus and I got lucky and got one of the couches up front. Man, can he sing.
    Steven E. Cantrell
    Campanella A

I was pleased to see a song on the new CD where Tim played a mandola { and a Loar at that }. That's a first for him as far as I can tell.
    You can't see your future in a rear view mirror.

I look forward to purchasing, I'll listen to almost anything Tim O'Brien puts out.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man."

I always like anything Tim does, but was disapointed that he didnt play mandolin.