Thread: Tab/on-line resources for mandocello

I've recently aquired a mandocello, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of tab, or other on-line resources.
    Thanks
    Craig
    Craig Murray

Blog Entries

Ooo, what kind Craig?
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Taking the risk at sounding like a 'smart mouth,' find some mandolin tab. Four-string tab for a 4-string instrument tuned in fifths is all the same, 'cept the tune will sound lower and in another key. The stretches and 'takes' between notes and phrases will be hellacious at times because one instrument is guitar-sized and the other in comparison is almost tiny.

I'm ready. My flak vest is on.

craigmurray:

What kind of music are you looking for? If classical you can play cello music and there is lots around. Bach Cello Suites would be a challenge. You may have to read notation for that tho.

I don't know many sources for tab for a m'cello.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Join a Mandolin Orchestra. Some put music in tab form.

In case you haven't seen it already, check out the video of Mike Marshall on mandocello on the D'Addario website.

Welcome to the wide world of mandocello players !

As I'm sure you are finding, there aren't alot of options out there for mandocello tab format music. As previously suggested, I've had the best luck when perusing the cello music sections of my local music stores. Of course this requires the ability to read music in the bass clef which takes some getting used to.

The suggestion to join a mandolin orchestra is also a great one. I've been playing mandocello with the Pittsburgh Mandolin Orchestra for about a year & have found it to be tremendous fun. I played in the Mando 1 section for several years before this and have found the Mandocello to be much more enjoyable since we get to play a mix of bass lines, counterpoint, harmony and even the melody at times.

I read music from the bass clef while the other 'cello player in our orchestra reads music that has been 'transposed' into standard mandolin fingerings. This method is probably the quickest way to get started with mandocello (assuming that you can read standard notation for the mandolin ....).
    Mix A4
    Gibson A-2Z
    Gibson K-1
    Cohen C# mandolin
    Cohen C# 'cello
    Arrow 'cello/octave hybrid
    George Bauer bowlback

Default Re: Tab/on-line resources for mandocello

Hi Folks,
    bought an MCello too. Anybody found some good books with Tabs or have other useful tips for the small community of MCellists?
    Greetings from Hamburg,
    Axel

Quote Originally Posted by craigmurray View Post
    I've recently aquired a mandocello, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of tab, or other on-line resources.
    Thanks
    Craig
    I've been using the O'Connor Method for cello. Not finding much/any tab for mandocello, I decided to learn to read bass clef and settled on this method. Obviously we don't need the bowing tips but the tunes are fun to play and include chords above the music notation which encourages learning chords along with melody lines.

Here's a link to the book/cd on the Shar website:

https://www.sharmusic.com/Sheet-Musi...Connor\+Method

Good luck, hope this helps...
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

This thread highlights the problem I am trying to address in CMSA: there ain't much out there for the great mandocello. I am gathering old method books (only 2!) and a very few actual compositions ( maybe 3, 4) for the MC. I hope some of you might join us at CMSA Santa Rosa and talk about this dearth of music. But for now, play cello music (CMSA objections aside), play in orchestras or quartets--that's where I have the most fun.
    Jim

okay, it seems to be the best to learn to read the classical notation and arrange the stuff by yourself. the 2 old method books: what is their name?

Blog Entries

I suggest that probably the best all around option for creating tab for the mandocello (and mandola) is to purchase TablEdit software.

With the full up program you only need to find a .tef file for mandolin (there are many hundreds of them - and thousands really because many people do not publish the files they create for personal use I imagine. I know I don't.

Once you have the mandolin .tef file you can transpose it easily in TablEdit so that you have mandola/mandocello tab in the same key. And you can change the key of the tune as well in TablEdit.

Of course once you have mandolin tab you can just play tab but the tune but it will be a 5th lower - -play mandolin key of A tab on mandocello and you are in D. But the TablEdit allows you to play in the same key.

What is more -- if you can find a midi file (.mid) or and an ABC file (.abc) you can import them into TablEdit and create the tab.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Does Tabletit convert the fingering? If not then you’d have pretty useless tab fingerings for the mandoloncello.
    I’d agree that working from standard notation is the most straight forward I’ve found yet.

As for repertoire I’ve found that the ‘cello parts from Haydn & Vivaldi pieces can be great for skills building, lots of proper ‘cellistic’ shifting and extension decisions to make. I’ve also found that loads of those pieces where the staccato or pizzicato ‘cello lines were always a bit sketchy and unconvincing, due to not getting the resonance of the instrument going or enough weight in the bow, can come up really well on the mandoloncello.
    When I listen to orchestral pizzicato or staccato bowing now it seems to fall short of what is possible; all because the straight-jacketing of sections by having to conform to the stereotypical orchestra format. Imagine the musical satisfaction if you had dual instrument players in the strings, with 1/2 of each section swapping to plucked strings to keep the clarity and resonance in those sections.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

The 2 old method books are by Sol Goichberg and Zahr Myron Bickford. They are out of print but a few copies are around. I am working with someone to get them copied and might be able to post some samples soon. I am also working with a few composers who might contribute a piece or two, also "soon."

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    Does Tabletit convert the fingering? If not then you’d have pretty useless tab fingerings for the mandoloncello.
    I’d agree that working from standard notation is the most straight forward I’ve found yet.
    Yes, but I may have missed a subtle aspect of your question. I have only really started using it a couple of days ago but it does an OK job for the mandolin with an occasional quirk such as suggesting playing the 7th fret rather than the open string below.

But that’s for mandolin and OM, I don’t know how it would work on a mandoloncello. And I may have missed the point of your question entirely

Blog Entries

Yep I was wondering how it would work with the different fingering for the long scale instruments. It’s been ages since I used TablEdit so I can’t remember if it copes with the diatonic to ‘cello fingering changes: for example ‘cello tends to do finger 1 fret 2 xtend back to fret 1, then one finger each for 34&5 with an extension to 6. In Dmajor it can be something like x,1,x23x4x to keep the fluidity, where x is an extension. I can’t rememember if TablEdit had an option for that kind of thing in terms of programming the fingering.
    Ta
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Haven’t worked out fingering specifically in Tabledit yet I’m afraid. Just where the strings should be fretted. Very much a new toy for me at the moment.

19. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

Beanzy 

I come from playing bass guitar and a little trick in that world is to play off trombone music. I picked up "Selected Studies for Trombone" by H. Voxman and all the studies are very playable, if challenging, for the mandocello. As the pieces therein have no relation to the instrument, you are really made aware of the need for adaptive fingering techniques.

*That being said the Petrucci Music Library has a few pieces featuring mandocello and a wealth of "normal cello."