Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: charango

dear all - i'm not just some ordinary crank. thanks to this site i'm now a published, INTERNATIONAL crank and i'd like to hear what anyone has to say about the suitability of the charango as a mandolin(ish) instrument for the playing of medieval/renaissance music. naturally i'm talking about those charango (charangi?) constructed in wood and not those made from some unfortunate, new-world critter like an armadillo. before you dismiss this as pure folly, i'd like to point out that the single-piece construction used for the charango predates the multi-piece construction of any string instrument and that stringed instruments of this type were (i believe) unknown by the indigenous people of america prior to the spanish invasion. any opinions? sincerely - bill

Why not, I say? Knock yourself out.

Are you using traditional charango tuning gceae or would you tune in fifths like a mandolin?

Come to think of it a charango bears some distant resemblance to those Lombardi or Milanese mandolins strung with gut.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Why, sure...

If you leaf through any old anthology of images from the Renaissance (be it paintings, woodcuts, tapestries, etc.), you will certainly find the wildest (err.. pardon me: richest) variety of instruments depicted. So, why not charango?

Pick on!
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

i've tuned it in 4ths (g-a-d-g-c). i say this in all ignorance but i don't see what's to be gained by tuning it in 5ths. if that makes for better music (more versitile, more harmonic possibilities, etc.) please let me know. as it is, playing in 4ths is so spontanious and simple...i sometimes get the feeling it just can't be right.

sorry..."spontaneous" - ed.

Quote Originally Posted by (billkilpatrick @ Jan. 31 2004,09:12)
    i've tuned it in 4ths (g-a-d-g-c). #i say this in all ignorance but i don't see what's to be gained by tuning it in 5ths. #if that makes for better music (more versitile, more harmonic possibilities, etc.) please let me know. #as it is, playing in 4ths is so spontanious and simple...i sometimes get the feeling it just can't be right.
    That is an odd tuning. As I said, std tuning is more like a uke: gceae (low to high) I think that the middle e strings are in octaves (I do not have my charango in front of me). This way the bottom 4 courses are in same realtionship as the top four strings of the guitar with a doubled e note on the very top course.

The reason I asked about fifths is because this is a mandolin board and that is generally how we tune. Whatever you are used to works. I was just curious about how you came to the tuning you use.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

i got this tuning from playing the oud but isn't a-d-g-c a mandola tuning?

Yes, a-d-g-c high to low is a mandola tuning but I thought you were talking fourths, not fifths.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

'gems - you threw me for a loop there. what little understanding i have about music is tentative at best - went to bed last night with a knitted brow and visions of notes dancing in my head. i've tuned my charango g-a-d-g-c from the bottom to the top, not the other way round. so...does this make it an ###-backward mandola tuning (re-entrant "returned" - so to speak) with a bottom course in g?
    you guys still want to talk to me?

you mean i can't say "###"?
    how about "hindmost"?

There were some early gut-strung mandolin types tuned in fourths. Your tuning is actually fairly period-appropriate... or historically informed... or whatever early music types are calling it these days. Pick on.
    Peter Klima (not the hockey player)

Yes you are tuned in 4ths with the exception of the lowest string. I believe that re-entrant tuning has a higher string on what would be lower courses, for instance the ukulele which would have it's lowest string, say g higher in pitch than all but the very first string, a.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Looking at citterns, gitterns, vihuelas, four-course guitars etc. it seems that 4-string instruments tended to use 5ths, 5 or more courses tended to use fourths (often but not always with a 3rd in the middle). When you get to the more complex French lutes anything up to 14 courses (some tripled, tuned root-octave-quint) can be found, so I'd reckon you can claim some sanction for any tuning you choose - but the Hobgoblin guide is as good as anything else AS A GUIDE, not as a law. I use a guirat tuned F-Bb-D-G-B-E, so who am I to say? (and then I use it as two ukes ....) #
    Reality : A particularly unconvincing illusion (see "Reality TV" if you disagree.)

Quote Originally Posted by (gilgamesh @ Feb. 17 2004, 19:28)
    Looking at citterns, gitterns, vihuelas, four-course guitars etc. it seems that 4-string instruments tended to use 5ths, 5 or more courses tended to use fourths (often but not always with a 3rd in the middle).
    I'm not so certain this makes so good a rule of thumb. #The four-course guitar was certainly tuned mostly in 4ths as was the early mandolino in four courses. #There is plenty of testimony for such tuning in early tablatures. #Mostly 4ths were retained as courses to six were added to both guitar and mandolino. #Tuning of all the various early cittern kin varied wildly; e.g., the English guitar was tuned to a c-major chord, i.e. thirds, fourths, and fifths. #The modern ukulele with four strings uses a reentrant series of fourths with one third. #Of course, tuning of medieval ancestors is as much speculation as anything...assuming it was ever standardized.

Blog Entries

I have charangos and I have tried alternative tunings so from my experience....
    If you are trying out fourths tuning as milanese mandolino you can not use standard charango (scale length is circa 35-36 cm) because strings wouldn´t stand it. Better try the smaller member of the charango family called waylacho with circa 30 cm scale.
    saludos,

dear lucho -

do you know where i might buy strings for the waylacho?

sincerely - bill

Blog Entries

the standard no microwound nylon sets made in Argentina by Medina Artigas o even the american made mari sets could work for it. I don't know what to tell where to buy them... it depends on your location.... if in South America (from South of Ecuador) should not be a problem... otherwise try www.boliviamall.com. There you should be able to find #2 options for waylachos: standard nylons sets or steel sets tuned down to B scale (called afinación diabla).
    suerte,

Try this guy in PA for things Bolivian: Joe Todaro. I ran into him a few years back at a Philadelphia guitar show and ended up buying my charango from him.

He makes sojourns down to Bolivia and has connections to players and builders. I hope this info is current -- I found it on the Web.

Joe Todaro
    28 N. Lansdowne Ave.
    Lansdowne, PA 19050
    610-623-3555
    mandolute@aol.com

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

billkilpatrick: I forgot.... I think you may try the handmade light sets made in Spain by Font (http://www.font-company.com/font-company/101b.htm). They have charango sets and it may be if your charango soundboard is sturdy enough you could try light bandurria sets tuned like those older milanese mandolinos.... older classical bandurrias used to have gut strings.... and some players still use them for classical repertoire.
    suerte,

for 'dem 'dat's interested, there's a peculiar (gruesome?) pear-shaped, mandolin-faced charango up for auction on german ebay at the moment. something of a missing link perhaps...?

Speaking of missing link... what is the link for that charango?

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Peter Klima (not the hockey player)

link!?!....LINK!?!!......i don't got to show you no stinkin' link!

yep, that's the one. #looks like something from out of that bar scene in the first "star wars."

Hmmm...I can deal with the concept of charango, but I'm none too keen on them still sporting EARS!

A good friend of mine insists that the very best charangos are those on which the hairs still grow. Hmmmm...

I will stick to wooden ones and mandolins.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: