Thread: Changing strings - tailpiece question

I have a new mandolin and have no idea how to change the strings without taking the whole tailpiece off. From what I can see, the tailpiece has a cover, but it doesn't want to seem to come off without some persuasion. Should I persuade, and if so, in which direction. Some of my most expensive repairs started with a little "persuasion".

The tailpiece looks like the one below and it is a Gremlin mandolin.

Cheers,
    Cliff

That looks like a standard stamped tailpiece to me, although from the angle that the photo is taken, you can't see where the cover ends and the tailpiece begins. Such stamped tailpieces have a cover that comes off completely and is held on the tailpiece purely by friction; no hinge, bolt or other fastening. The fit can be very snug indeed: I have previously come across such covers that appeared to be all but welded on and only came off after considerable effort (causing considerable unease for the novice owners).

I can understand that you don't want to pull too hard on the cover; nevertheless, that's the only way that you're going to get it off. To get it off, pull the end facing the bridge up. Once it starts moving, it should readily come off completely (always assuming it's indeed a standard stamped tailpiece). Even with a snug fit, you should be able to do it with your fingers -- I'd be reluctant to use a screwdriver or other tool as it's easy to slip and scratch the top.

Martin

I've only dealt with tailpieces like that once, but when I did, the cover slid off when pulled toward the bridge.

The first time I removed the cover, I just pulled it off, and it worked, but felt like it wasn't great for the wood it was anchored to.
    Schwab 5-string No.29 (1982)
    Old Wave C# No.311 (2003)
    Mann SEM-5 No. 60 (2007)

Cliff,

Note that you don't want to just pull the thing straight "up" as it is likely that the edges of the cover curl over, down and around the edges of the piece which will have the hooks on it for your strings (the actual "tail piece").

The cover will slide off in the direction of the strings - most likely towards the tail end of the mandolin.

Odds are it will come off easier the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by (grsnovi @ April 20 2004, 13:03)
    Note that you don't want to just pull the thing straight "up" as it is likely that the edges of the cover curl over, down and around the edges of the piece which will have the hooks on it for your strings (the actual "tail piece").

The cover will slide off in the direction of the strings - most likely towards the tail end of the mandolin.

Odds are it will come off easier the next time.
    I've changed strings on four different mandolins with this type of tailpiece, and on none of them was the cover curled around the edges in that way. I don't think sliding the cover off in the direction of the strings would have worked for them without great effort: straight up was the easiest for these four. I'm not saying they're all like that, but the ones I've seen were. I agree, however, that whatever the design of Cliff's tailpiece, it'll be easier the next time.

Martin

The ones that Stewmac sell slide off toward the tail end of the mando, however the one on my flatiron and many others I've seen pull up. Look at the sides of the cover and see if they are beveled inward or are at a 90 degree angle with the front of the cover. That will give you the best guess as to which way to pull. It is a friction fit if it is like the one in the pic.
    Yup