Thread: Austin AU625

Default Austin AU625

There’s very little information about this mandolin online. I believe it’s entry-level and I believe it has a solid spruce top if you know anything about this instrument specially whether it’s a solid spruce top or its original price. Please give me some help

Default Re: Austin AU625

There's not much information around about this instrument except that it is an f style mandolin. I have seen Austin mandolins before though and they were bottom of the line all laminate instruments that required considerable work to make playable. If you are going to get it I would try it out first and be very discriminating. There are too many decent budget instruments around to pay much at all for a cheapo that will make you want something else almost immediately.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

This is probably the lowest cost solid top f style mandolin I could find. Very well reviewed.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk...style-mandolin

If you are open to an a style this is a good buy. A starter yes but all solid wood.

https://www.amazon.com/Rover-RM-50-D.../dp/B001RIZEL4

Of course both will need setup. If you get Rob Meldrum's free ebook you can probably do that yourself. Idid.
    We are the music makers,

Quote Originally Posted by David Rench View Post
    There’s very little information about this mandolin online. I believe it’s entry-level and I believe it has a solid spruce top if you know anything about this instrument specially whether it’s a solid spruce top or its original price. Please give me some help
    Post a picture. Many of these mandolin brands are imported under various labels.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thanks so much for your info Roger. I am pretty sure the AU 625 is an “A” style and the only reference I found online was that it had a spruce solid top. The spruce reference was on a dubious website but Guitar Center offers a used AU625 out of their Asheville store at $149. Link https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Au...25-Mandolin.gc
    I am looking at a slightly played AU625 “A” style offered after negotiation for $80. My budget is limited and yes, I will check it out before I buy. It’s so hard to find any info on this AU625 which adds to why I would like to know more before I drive 90 minutes to go see it. Solid spruce top? Original cost? Reviews? Can’t find any. If it’s garbage I guess my budget could look into a Rouge. Or just start saving for the Eastman MD505 that I enjoyed quite a bit. ✌️

I would post a photo but can’t figure out how. When I choose an image it goes pale and I found no ok or insert button. Sorry.

Dollars to donuts it doesn't have a solid top. I did a little Googling on Austin instruments, and the reviews were purty bad, even for cheapos, which seems to be what Austin sells.

If you want to spend less than $100, you'll be extremely fortunate to come up with any solid-top mandolin. I'd second the suggestion of the Rover RM-50, which is all solid wood (not carved, of course) and can be bought for around $150 -- and they pop up used on Reverb for under #100.

Just make sure whatever mandolin you buy, is properly set up. Elderly Instruments advertises that the to shop set-ups on their RM-50's; other dealers may or may not.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

8. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

That 505 is an outstanding instrument and excellent goal. Many MC members have started out with a Rogue and Rob Meldrum's ebook and done just fine. In fact, if you're starting out with an all laminate instrument, it's hard to go wrong that way.
    We are the music makers,

Thank you for all the feedback guys! I will take a pass on the Austin check into the Rouge , Kentucky 150, and or save up for the Eastman 505. I am just itchy to play and will curb my enthusiasm til I have the $$$!If thee are any Austin AU625 owners out there I am still curious to hear your story. Cheers, everyone