Thread: Learning multiple instruments at once? Am I crazy?

Question Learning multiple instruments at once? Am I crazy?

I am a 15 year drummer but that doesn't count for much
    I started learning mandolin last year and it's everything i dreamed! But then I found myself buying other things. I bought a guitar a few months ago and an openback banjo a few weeks back. I thought at first I might be nuts but I am having a lot of fun. Now when I put down my mandolin for the day instead of watching tv... I pick up the next instrument!
    I can't tell at this point if this slows down my learning with one instrument, or speeds it up? I've noticed some techniques I learned on the mandolin made my progress faster with the guitar. And I think some things I learned as a drummer make clawhammer easier?
    Mainly I am wondering if it's too early to be trying to juggle this many new instruments. I know 1 year is hardly scratching the surface of mandolin.
    Should I slow down? toss the guitar out the window? or keep truckin'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37056218_10156567126473817_2602668147500646400_n.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	170344  
    2003 Breedlove Rogue
    2018 Martin OM-28
    2018 Ome Minstrel 12" Banjo

Default Re: Learning multiple instruments at once? Am I crazy?

There are people at every jam who can play all the chords, but have a weak sense of rhythm. Your background as a drummer is much more relevant than you're giving it credit for. Who cares if you can play the right note, if you don't know when to play it?
    You'll be tearing it up in no time. It's natural for my focus to ebb and flow from one instrument to another, just play whichever one strikes your fancy at the moment and you'll come back to the other one when you're ready. If it's been a week or two, probably a good idea to make sure you pick the other one up just so you don't miss an opportunity to get back into the flow of it if the time is right.
    But as long as you're playing, you're learning relatable skills which will translate to the other instruments.

3. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Grimm 

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    ...but I am having a lot of fun...
    All the answer you need.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Marty is spot on regarding the importance of rhythm (the value of drumming, etc). It's what music is predicated on; even free playing, solo, whatever - the player(s) always has a sense of time in mind...pushing at time is one of my strongest urges (I'm a drummer too), and drumming with (all) instruments is the funnest (sp). Everything in our experience is some analogue expression. Finding common affinities among instruments is a natural for some - use/enjoy it.

Try an accordian some time Grimm. To assuage the drum thing (too old to "rock" ) I find the time you can exploit with fingers is akin to doing it with larger muscle groups - and more convenient to haul !. Check this out: https://youtu.be/fswwgc2ev3U

7. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Grimm 

There are no rules, that I'm aware of, concerning how you learn or what instrument you concentrate on.
    As Mr. Hopkins mentioned, just have fun with it.
    For what it's worth, taking what you learn from one instrument to the next, can only help your overall development. I know that playing guitar for 60 years, before I picked up a mandolin a year ago, has helped me continue with both instruments.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LostVenture For This Useful Post:

===========

Within a span of 5 years I took up bass, guitar, drums and keyboards. For me, each instrument helps to build on the other; (kind of a 'cross-pollination' as someone here at MC recently put it). I have no real talent for any of the instruments that I play, but as Allen noted in Post #3 - as long as you are having fun, that is all you need to know . . . the skill WILL come, in due time, and you will be a better all-around musician for your efforts.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    Now when I put down my mandolin for the day instead of watching tv... I pick up the next instrument
    Bravo.
    We’d all be better off if we followed your example.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Clements For This Useful Post:

FredKGrimmjbaw 

The Music is really in your head. Whatever's in your hands is just a tool.
    Now, find a buddy or two to pass tunes back and forth.
    You know what they say: "Two heads are better'n one"

15. The following members say thank you to farmerjones for this post:

Grimm 

Yeah, less TV and more practicing, and for me the video games also compete for attention.

I think it's good to learn a lot of instruments, eventually some will stick more than others.

I think you will see some synergies and some slowdown by time-sharing like that, overall I would bet that slower is what you will get, this is not necessarily bad though. I prefer to focus on one instrument at a time, while maintaining the others that I am still interested in.

If you want to cover everything to become the most well-rounded musician possible (which is a fun but potentially long journey), I suggest covering rhythm, chordal, and melodic instruments.

Keyboard is required as the best way to learn chords and music theory IMHO. And learn to read music while you are at it, that should keep you busy for a long time. :-)

I still remember how my world opened up when I learned chords on piano, I was just a trumpet player at the time, and knew that I was missing out on a vast part of music by being limited to just one note at a time.

Same thing happened when I learned drums, rhythm at that level was new to me.

To me mando is not a melodic instrument in the same way a wind instrument is, where you can use vibrato and express a melodic line to a far greater degree than with a percussive instrument like mando or piano.

The easy way for melody is to just take voice lessons and learn how to sing correctly, unless you have a secret desire to play saxophone or violin for example, both of which can express a melodic line very nicely. I was surprised how much difference voice lessons made in my singing. It's easy to sing wrong, and most do by default, and I didn't know that until I got a teacher.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

17. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

Grimm 

Enthusiasm, stoke or whatever you want to call it is the fuel needed to learn & improve. The more you have, the more you can do. As long as whatever you're doing is feeding your stoke, you're doing the right thing. Given the combination of available time and a super absorbent mind at your age, it's likely the best time in your life to do it (not that anyone shouldn't who might be older...like I was...).

Blog Entries

You need a theorbo.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

20. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

What's a multiple instrument?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hildreth View Post
    What's a multiple instrument?
    It's called a theorbo.

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    You need a theorbo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    It's called a theorbo.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeUcGD4rRRc