Thread: Books I've been going about learning

Default Books I've been going about learning

I've been practicing a bit over an hour / day. I've been using a Mandolin Scales & Studies book and a book with Easy Classical Themes. I have no special attachment to these. I also 'fool around' with songs I have for guitar trying to play 3-finger cords and basically memorize as many fingerings as I can.

Does anyone have a book they prefer for beginners? (I have studied music theory and, although rusty, I can read music.)

Thanks in advance for letting me pick your experienced brains!

And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Books I've been going about learning

Even though I bought a stack of books, I ended up using the web getting started. This site (Learn/Listen), a chord theory instruction site, 2-3 instructor lead pay sites (month of lessons for maybe $20) and a ton of youtube videos.

The series of lessons I took in person probably did the most to save me from self taught ruin.

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Tenzin 

If you specify the type of music that you would most like to play, you will get better answers.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

It was foolish of me to not specify a genre. I'm interested in classical and wouldn't mind Celtic. I am reluctant to move into bluegrass since I almost exclusively play alone...if that's a poor way of thinking...let me have it! I enjoy David Grisman, Chris Thile, and Sam Bush.

I've been playing guitar about 30 years (nothing great...but I enjoy it). I play some of Tom Waits stuff, Counting Crows, REM --yup, Losing My Religion. So let me have it with any and all suggestions.

I'm also very interested because I broke my wrist and needed screws put it. I'm 53, so even after 10 months of PT, I really need anything that will keep my wrist from stiffening up and my wife doesn't want me swinging the good jumper cables at the kids.

And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.

You may get something from my ergonomic videos (#2 - 5) I posted here:

http://www.petimarpress.com/mandolin...%20videos.html
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

Check out Marilyn Mair’s “The Complete Mandolinist.” I’ve never bought it because, although I read music, I still tend to think in sax fingerings (darn childhood imprinting) and am much faster with tab. But, it looks like a good course. Ditto the recs for online instruction. There’s a ton of options, and a surprising amount of free stuff available...
    Chuck

Mair’s book is a good one, but it is a challenging course that is designed to develop a broad range of skills. You might prefer just learning a lot of Celtic fiddle tunes to get started. There are several books on the Mel Bay site.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

10. The following members say thank you to JonZ for this post:

Tenzin 

For classical, I like John Goodin's Telemann for Mandolin, published by Mel Bay. Some of the little minuets are not difficult, and good for a beginner to work on. Other pieces in the book are much more complex, and will give you something to learn as you improve.

I also like Marilynn Mair's book. It's very complete, and structured so you can jump round in it between etudes to develop the right hand, the left hand, and both together.

12. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

Tenzin 

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Something like Hal Leonard’s fretboard roadmap might be useful. It shows how the notes all connect.

14. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Tenzin