Thread: Almuse Pickups

Default Almuse Pickups

I swapped the stock neck pickup on my Harley Benton for an Almuse one yesterday.

I know they're well liked but here are my views.

First of all the service. Incredible, ordered on Monday, here on Wednesday. Plus all of my questions were answered quickly and clearly. A great guy to deal with.

Now the sound. This is my first electric instrument and I'm only using a headphone amplifier but the difference was chalk and cheese! Louder, more balanced sound (my primary goal was to reduce the volume imbalance between the strings) and a far nicer tone.

Possibly the biggest impact upgrade I've done on an instrument!

No connection other than as a very satisfied customer.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OneChordTrick For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Almuse Pickups

Just orderd one for my Mandostrat but when I'll get chance to fit it, I don't know.

I was surprised how quick and easy it was. What took the longest was de-stringing and re-stringing. Other than that, unscrew the scratch plate, unscrew an unsolder the old one and fit the new one

Just like that! Not all of us work for a living and being retired is very time consuming! I'm tied up all this week, away for a few days next week, then there's the Tour de France to watch and then we have the builders in for three weeks and will have no staircase so we'll be sleeping in the motorhome. After that we're off to Scotland for two or three weeks and will be coming home to several weeks painting the new plaster on the hall stairs and landings. Ask me how it sounds sometime in October

6. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

How about this Ray? You do my job and I’ll retire, paint your stairs, to to Scotland for you, watch ale Tour and change the pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Just like that! Not all of us work for a living and being retired is very time consuming! ....
    Just scheduling the naps is a chore

But I did put an Almuse on my Mandostrat (and a fully adjustable bridge). Great upgrade.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    How about this Ray? You do my job and I’ll retire, paint your stairs, to to Scotland for you, watch ale Tour and change the pickup.
    ...... forgot to mention my wife........ !!

Should also have said that the motorhome on the drive isn't the same one as was there this morning. Just taken delivery of a new one so tomorrow and Thursday will be taken up by fitting the TV, deciding where we're going to store the espresso machine etc. etc. Wednesday is spoken for - off to see "The Last Ship" at the Lowry.

10. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Think I might just stay working. That retirement lark sounds exhausting

+1 for Almuse service. Pete [eventually] received my order on Wednesday, he built the pickup, posted it and it arrived at 09.00 today (Friday).

13. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Pete gave me a free one for a different mandolin.Put it on the Fender and it sounds great.Put on a brass nut also.Did not change the saddles because once they were set up they are fine.
    Still have the new ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4FD937AE-7983-43D6-9013-796C142AD55C.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	293.8 KB 
ID:	172312  

That looks like a “real” mandocaster rather than the mandostrat. I had a hankering for one of those until I fitted the Almuse pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    That looks like a “real” mandocaster rather than the mandostrat. I had a hankering for one of those until I fitted the Almuse pickup.
    It’s s Mandostrat.I play it in my band along with a Kentucky 606.(now $830 at Elderly,up from $350)

I stand corrected - it looks a bit more “used” than mine. I’d heard that they are now worth more used (since they were discontinued) than they were new!

Very used.The old ones are for sale at high prices.The new ones are just as good.Being Scottish I don’t waste money.

I took my Morgan Monroe solid body electric mando apart and found one of the pickups self-destructed (aka came apart). I searched Mandolin Cafe, EMando and various sites to find out what to do with my instrument. Almuse pickups were highly recommended for replacement on this instrument. I contacted Pete, sent photos, drawings and measurements so he could build 2 pickups for this electric mandolin. Great communication with Pete, real fun to deal with, flawless ordering and delivery of the pickups. Placing the pickups was easy with a bit of soldering. The sound is nothing short of AWESOME. I love this huge improvement in the sound and volume produced by my old electric mandolin. I highly recommend letting Pete and his fantastic Almuse pickups upgrade your electric mandolin.

20. The following members say thank you to Bill.Booker for this post:

Pete is first rate! I have had numerous pickups made by him as well as a fully custom Vox Phantom style electric bouzouki that is amazing. AAA+++